What is acceptable for next year?

I'm afraid next year may be worse than this year.
I don't think so.

Our offense should be at least as good (better, really). Enough of the OL will be back, and hopefully improved. Streeter, Hurns + Dorsett makes for a solid WR core. TE should be okay with the kids back and hopefully a recruit or two. Miller likely back. Morris and Williams should give us some QB competition and hopefully a decent QB. They'll have had more time in Fisch's system, and the staff will have had a year under their belts. And Duke J. and some of our WR recruits may make an impact.

On D, we'll miss Spence and DB will continue to be suspect, but at least we'll have some real recruits at both spots. DT won't be worse -- with our injuries this year, next year should be better. And DE with Vernon and Chick... So as long as a few recruits can play at DB and LB, I say we're not worse on D next year. Factor in improvement shown this year (IMO), and another year of S&C, and I don't get the decline predictions.

We should be better (record) next year, IMO. Losing 5 close games is unlikely to happen again.

Advertisement
I'm afraid next year may be worse than this year.
I don't think so.

Our offense should be at least as good (better, really). Enough of the OL will be back, and hopefully improved. Streeter, Hurns + Dorsett makes for a solid WR core. TE should be okay with the kids back and hopefully a recruit or two. Miller likely back. Morris and Williams should give us some QB competition and hopefully a decent QB. They'll have had more time in Fisch's system, and the staff will have had a year under their belts. And Duke J. and some of our WR recruits may make an impact.

On D, we'll miss Spence and DB will continue to be suspect, but at least we'll have some real recruits at both spots. DT won't be worse -- with our injuries this year, next year should be better. And DE with Vernon and Chick... So as long as a few recruits can play at DB and LB, I say we're not worse on D next year. Factor in improvement shown this year (IMO), and another year of S&C, and I don't get the decline predictions.

We should be better (record) next year, IMO. Losing 5 close games is unlikely to happen again.

You and Lu have pretty much covered everything as far as how I feel. IMO it really all hinges on the triggerman - who wins the QB comp, and does it translate into wins. I know morris is capable of leading this team serviceably...if williams (or dewey for that matter) beat him out that is harbinger of good things to come IMO.

10 Wins

VT and FSU at home. No real tough OOC games.

Our offense if Miller comes back has a chance to be even better, obviously depending on the QB play and our defense should be better without a doubt. Its not a very good sign that we continue to lose close games.

ACC Championship.

Realistic or not...the entire ACC sucks...there is no reason we shouldn't be playing in the Championship Game every year. Everything else is a disappointment.

I'm going to amend my expectations for next year to a ACC title game appearance. The wins themselves are secondary as long as we reach the conference title.

Advertisement
this team is on the right track. in years past, if we get down to FSU on the road 23-7 then we end up losing 37-7. Same with the VT game this year.

this team is tougher and doesn't quit. that's a GREAT sign for the future. and with coach golden continuing to instill his philosophies then next season there is no reason we shouldn't win the ACC. we'll have KSU on the road early but we'll have FSU/UNC/VT at home.

The fight in them is what has me optimistic for next year. My biggest concern is finding DB's that come in and play immediatley. DB has to be, by far, the weakest position on the team and I don't see any committs or guys on the roster that look like difference makers yet.

ACC Championship.

Realistic or not...the entire ACC sucks...there is no reason we shouldn't be playing in the Championship Game every year. Everything else is a disappointment.

Every year there are at least 3 teams in the ACC that are better than we are. This year is no different with Clemson, VT, FSU, and UVA. And I'm being nice excluding Maryland. We're 5-5. We haven't really improved any from last season. We suck so I don't know why people keep expecting us to win the conference.

No expectations. On paper with the talent we'll have, and with 2 years of the process, that should equal lots of wins. I no longer have expectations though.

Can't say until I see what players we bring in and what players leave. Do we go after a couple JUCO players on Defense? Does Tommy Streeter make the terrible team and personal decision to leave too early? Does Brandon Washington get a crazed idea to cash in his draft stock? Does Seantrel transition into our legitimate Left Tackle? Does Marcus Forston play for more than 6 plays? Does........Ryan Williams steal the job from Stephen Morris?!

So many questions. At base, I'd like to see us win a few close games. As someone stated earlier in the thread, we have lost every single one!

Not to mention do we have to replace a coaching staff or not. Too many variables. Ask again after the Spring game.

Advertisement
They should be better but I dont think some people realize just how well Jacory has played. That is going to be tough to replace. Jacory is probably going to end up with around 25 touchdowns and 8/9 picks unless he completely implodes in a game and is horrible or goes off in a game and has 4-5 touchdowns.

If Miller comes back especially, teams are going to load up heavily on the run and make us beat them with the pass.

Hopefully if there is a drop off in QB play (and even that could still be a good season depending how far the drop off is) the rest of the offense being a year older and better around that QB , will mask it and not make it that big of a deal.

The team as a whole should improve enough to be a 9 win team especially in this conference.

minimal sanctions.. 9-10 regular season wins.. compete for the coastal late in the season.. bowl win..

Advertisement
Is anyone actually examining our personnel next year? Or are we just adding a year to the calendar and expecting 10 wins?

Next year is going to be a major challenge. We lose most of our best players from a .500 team, and we are going to have to go with a major youth movement next year, which means mistakes, fatigue, inexperience.

You think we have depth issues this year? Draw up a 2-deep for 2012. Scary. Next year is REALLY the year when the Shannon recruiting debacle comes home to roost.

Yeah, the MNW class has underachieved, but that class has still been the nucleus of the team and has our best players. Wait till Shannon's 2009 and 2010 classes start to be counted on to lead this team next year. It's not going to be pretty.

This is a true rebuild. Which is why you saw Golden and Co. still trying to add players on Labor Day this year, and why we are going to sign over 30 kids this February if we can. We need to turn the roster over. Sorry, no quick fix ahead of us.

+1.

HOWEVA, I'm more fixated on how we play than actual record, because as we know, ITS A PROCESS.

I want to see:

1. Our defense get nastier
and
2. Our offense play smarter.

Those two things happen, we can be 5-5 again for all I care.

Is anyone actually examining our personnel next year? Or are we just adding a year to the calendar and expecting 10 wins?

Next year is going to be a major challenge. We lose most of our best players from a .500 team, and we are going to have to go with a major youth movement next year, which means mistakes, fatigue, inexperience.

You think we have depth issues this year? Draw up a 2-deep for 2012. Scary. Next year is REALLY the year when the Shannon recruiting debacle comes home to roost.

Yeah, the MNW class has underachieved, but that class has still been the nucleus of the team and has our best players. Wait till Shannon's 2009 and 2010 classes start to be counted on to lead this team next year. It's not going to be pretty.

This is a true rebuild. Which is why you saw Golden and Co. still trying to add players on Labor Day this year, and why we are going to sign over 30 kids this February if we can. We need to turn the roster over. Sorry, no quick fix ahead of us.

Advertisement
Besides Spence who is really irreplaceable that we lose. I don't expect to see a drop off at QB or RB. Lamar has tailed off big time as the blocking has fallen off. He doesn't make tough yards. Jacory is playing well but he still has his limitations. Importantly players develop under Golden. I think the oline will improve massively once Kehoe us gone. The secondary will be much improved with the freshman we have in. If there's any position a corner can come in and contribute right away it's corner.

(Bomb's post above)
'Yeah, the MNW class has underachieved, but that class has still been the nucleus of the team and has our best players. Wait till Shannon's 2009 and 2010 classes start to be counted on to lead this team next year. It's not going to be pretty'

While I agree with most of your post (the 2 deep being scary and all), more and more we see freshman leading teams and putting up big numbers. CFB isn't necessarily a JR and SR led sport. While having SR leadership helps, many young FR and SOPH's can contribute quality min's.

If Gold and Co. add a good class and maybe, sprinkle in a quality JUCO here or there, it's not crazy to ask for 10 wins next year. This is coming from a UM realist here...I don't really get caught with my Orange and Green glasses too much.

What should be the minimum expectation?

I think we should be in serious contention to play for the ACC title going into the last ACC game or 2 at the very least next year i.e. 9 wins.

This is a bad conference and VT whether they are young or old, seem to be able to win their 10 games and have a shot at the title game. I dont expect us to be a full blown national power until about 2014, but starting next year we should be winning at least 9 games with a serious shot to play for the ACC.

How's that working out?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back