What I was happy to see and why my excitement is tempered

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Happy we won and glad to see our guys given some freedom to play more aggressively. Think some fans are getting too excited about yesterday's performance. That's not hindsight. Here were my thoughts prior to the game, on this board:

If I'm Cutcliffe, I show a ton of 4WR looks and trips. If their QB can be accurate enough down the seam and on the trips bubble screen, we'll be totally off balance. Maybe we get out of Quarters coverage sooner. I don't know. Maybe we show a lot of Cover 3 on Saturday.

If I know what formations I'd use against our defense, I'm pretty confident David F'in Cutcliffe is going to know what formations max out his offensive players. Problem for Cutcliffe is that I just don't think Duke is very good. Their OL is not as collectively strong as Nebraska's. That's a key because we start everything with a locked-up fight against OL. Some of the Nebraska runs that went for 5-6 will be 2-3 on Saturday. It changes down and distance.

http://www.canesinsight.com/threads/79210-Golden-digging-his-own-grave/page2

We certainly changed things up last night and it was obvious early. Funny how guys like Artie Burns looked better in spots when they were just given the green light to lock up their man while our front was more disruptive. Crazy concept, but I'd like to hear from the handful of guys who consistently "call me out" every time Artie has looked crappy (more often than he should, I concede). Be cool if you guys showed face…I digress out of annoyance.

Here's the point: the root cause of our issues is still there…lingering, haunting anyone who has tracked what we do for 2-3 years. Also, while he is a great coach, Cutcliffe underperformed (even with what I called earlier in the week, "not impressive talent").

I haven't done a play by play review, but he overworked the trips formation in an overreaction to what we showed last week. Since we changed, some of what was obviously available against Nebraska and in past film was not available for Duke last night. It's weird how coaches, even very good ones, get stuck. When he ran trips early and tried the WR screen, it was stuffed. I get trying it again. But, why stay in that formation when we clearly had seen a massive hole in our defense because of it and adjusted? Beyond that, he used 3WR with an inline TE or motion HBack a good amount of the time. Maybe 30-35% based on memory. That is a favor to us because we can safely roll a Safety down (early instead of late) without too much concern. Most certainly if we're allowing our front to attack more, as we did.

I said earlier in the week and in the late 1st Quarter that Duke should have gone 4WR (balanced set) more often. When they did, our defense spreads out too thin and we can be sliced up via the seams and underneath. Before the game was out of reach (two scores very late) and we were sitting on plays Duke had already run, they made a handful of nice gains out of this set. For whatever reason, they didn't use it as much early on.

So, here are my questions for which I'll be looking for evidence in upcoming games:

1. Do we still react one step too late in our adjustments?
2. Is it because of a generally fearful, conservative approach?
3. Did we play more aggressively against Duke because we were willing to live with the low percentage throws we didn't think they (being less talented) could really hurt us?
4. As I said before the week, because Duke was returning only 3 of their 5 OL from last year (and not their very best) and they didn't have the raw strength or athleticism of Nebraska, will we see the Nebraska runs that went for 5-6 and turned into 2-3 for Duke…go back to 5-6 against a fairly talented squad?
5. Will we allow our front to play more upfield on a continuous basis even when we fear the big play from better teams?

Lots of questions to be answered. I'm obviously happy we saw some changes. I was praying for them before the season. I suppose I'll take them now and going forward, but I still want them to mean that we are willing to adjust on a continuous basis and not only after it has been made painfully obvious by another opponent.

You see, my goal for us has never been to be a solid program that consistently wins 9-10 games and occasionally makes a run. Those programs are unlikely to succeed in the current setup of the 4 team playoff because they'd still likely need to get in with 1 loss and then somehow beat 2 teams that we will need to stay 1 step ahead of throughout the series. Look forward to the discussion this week.

Last edited:
Advertisement
glad we got the win. it was great to be at the game. the team played with more passion and aggression. i am shocked that Kaaya is where he is. he seems to be once in a generation QB. mature, poised, accuracy and so much more.

as to the D, I have little analytical skills but we got burned a lot on outside WR seam routes. if Duke would have had a better QB or better WRs, it would have been a different game. it seems our corner man to man coverage skills are not very good. not sure if this is why Donofrio plays with more cushion, but this is a major concern for me.

thanks for taking the time to post.

Last edited:
I've called you out regarding Burns, and nothing has changed for me. A couple nice playes last night doesn't wash away the numerous terrible plays he's had just this season. IMO, he's a decent athlete, just not a good football player.

Nice write up, well done

I've called you out regarding Burns, and nothing has changed for me. A couple nice playes last night doesn't wash away the numerous terrible plays he's had just this season. IMO, he's a decent athlete, just not a good football player.

Nice write up, well done

Artie has not been anything special thus far here, but he's not a decent athlete. lmao

Dude is actually an olympic type athlete. Wow

Advertisement

Nice write up, well done

The point is players look better or worse depending on the context - what is going on up front, around them and their responsibilities. Looking at results, good or bad, alone is sketchy.

3 and 4 are the keys for me. I think Duke was bad enough that they couldn't stay ahead of the chains like Nebraska and they couldn't create an explosive play to make us hesitate. What happens if they hit that big throw that was wide open but missed? What happens if they are in 2nd and 3 instead of 2nd and 8? If those variables shift, our defense is likely the same old to me. We did not live in their backfield. We just neutralized their front enough to force situations that were to our advantage. A better team is more likely to stay ahead of schedule and also create hesitation by hitting a big play opportunity.

We got into their QB's head early and stayed there.

I was happy with what our team did. I fully didn't expect us to cover the spread and did easily.

That said. I wonder how many wins this Duke team will end up with at the end.

I'm curious as well. I hope this staff continues with a game plan like this. They did some of this against Louisville and it would good. I didn't see any of this game plan against Nebraska. I saw lots of numbers in our favor near the line of scrimmage and trusting the DBs they would play tight. Not sure why we did not do that against Nebraska.

Advertisement
We got into their QB's head early and stayed there.

I was happy with what our team did. I fully didn't expect us to cover the spread and did easily.

That said. I wonder how many wins this Duke team will end up with at the end.

[video=youtube;4ZfpwfQ58Ds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZfpwfQ58Ds[/video]

I have heard everyone say that our front played more aggressively, but I don't recall us getting a lot of push up front. I only saw the first half, did I miss it?

We got good inside pressure in the 2nd half. I am not real impressed with Hertelou, Jenkins seems like he's better right now. Kamalu brings the most pressure inside.

We got good inside pressure in the 2nd half. I am not real impressed with Hertelou, Jenkins seems like he's better right now. Kamalu brings the most pressure inside.

Our pass rush in general is awful, McCord is just okay, not having AQM ain't helping

Advertisement
I dont know if its the scheme or the position they have him playing but McCord has taken a step back. I agree not having AQM is hurting us.

I saw Wyche getting some run. Glad they are slowly working him into the rotation. Will need him on this back stretch because Hertolou, IMO, is getting overworked and thats the reason why I think we are seeing a slowly declining performance from him. He was the goods the first 3 games. But to ask him to play that many snaps at NG is just too much for a guy who just got here. I like him and think that a rotation of Wyche, Hert, and Jenkins is good at NG.

Kamalu is a beast. It will be hard to keep him off the field and I have no idea how we have been able to at this point. He should be getting starters minutes.

I have heard everyone say that our front played more aggressively, but I don't recall us getting a lot of push up front. I only saw the first half, did I miss it?

I saw push I just didn't see a ton of penetration especially by the line and that's one of the reasons why this isn't some radical change for me. We controlled their front and we sent blitzers at the middle rather than the periphery but we weren't consistently in their backfield creating negative plays. That's one of our biggest problems imo--we don't create a lot of negative plays. So you can see how a better team might gain 5 yards as opposed to Duke's 2. If that happens, the whole tenor of the defense changes. Against Nebraska what we needed were negative plays.

I dont know if its the scheme or the position they have him playing but McCord has taken a step back. I agree not having AQM is hurting us.

I saw Wyche getting some run. Glad they are slowly working him into the rotation. Will need him on this back stretch because Hertolou, IMO, is getting overworked and thats the reason why I think we are seeing a slowly declining performance from him. He was the goods the first 3 games. But to ask him to play that many snaps at NG is just too much for a guy who just got here. I like him and think that a rotation of Wyche, Hert, and Jenkins is good at NG.

Kamalu is a beast. It will be hard to keep him off the field and I have no idea how we have been able to at this point. He should be getting starters minutes.

If we'd ask Kamalu to consistently play 3-tech and attack the B gap, he'd be a pain in the *** for our opponents.

Advertisement
As others, including LU I believe have said many times, I think what we have is several issues. Schematically/adjustment wise, I think Golden and NoD get a little TOO cute and overthink things. These guys get too smart for their own good. Instead of keeping things simple, playing to their strengths and taking what the offense gives them, they insist on trying to get overly complex, run exotic and complex stunts and coverages, and it ends up creating havoc on our defense. The players just want to know what to do and play. Asking them to think too much slows them down, and they get beat, wether its at the point of attack, hitting a gap, or in coverage.

I do think we got much better penetration at the LOS on Sat. night than we have all season. It was a combination of factors, but there is NO QUESTION we attacked and played aggressively to disrupt their backfield. We did not just sit and hold the line waiting for our LBs to react. I saw more aggressive schemes, formations, blitzes and playcalling in that game than we have showed all season, and probably long into last season. This looked like a different defense out there for the most part.

The big question then is WHY? Why did they wait til Duke to let this go. Was it fear? A "must win" panic? Was it a response to Nebraska? Was this always somewhat in the cards? I asked on Sat night and there was a lot of disagreement, but I wonder if AG isn't playing JUST for the ACC right now. Maybe they decided to save their best stuff for Coastal play, and against Nebraska they decided to just sit in a base defense and not show much of anything.

Granted that is giving Golden a lot of credit, and Im not sure he deserves it. But the guy is not a total moron despite what many here think. He may be stubborn as ****, he may be wrong, he may not be a good HC, but he's not a total moron. I think he does have a plan, wether or not it will work, or whether its a stupid plan is a different question, but I don't believe this guy just does things without thinking of them.

So did we play more aggressively and run some of these new formations, stunts, etc out of "panic mode" or was this always the plan in the hopes of winning the Coastal?

So you think a scenario exists where Golden intentionally ran a soft defense vs Nebraska (essentially forfeiting a game) because he wanted to save a certain defense for Coastal play?

As others, including LU I believe have said many times, I think what we have is several issues. Schematically/adjustment wise, I think Golden and NoD get a little TOO cute and overthink things. These guys get too smart for their own good. Instead of keeping things simple, playing to their strengths and taking what the offense gives them, they insist on trying to get overly complex, run exotic and complex stunts and coverages, and it ends up creating havoc on our defense. The players just want to know what to do and play. Asking them to think too much slows them down, and they get beat, wether its at the point of attack, hitting a gap, or in coverage.

I do think we got much better penetration at the LOS on Sat. night than we have all season. It was a combination of factors, but there is NO QUESTION we attacked and played aggressively to disrupt their backfield. We did not just sit and hold the line waiting for our LBs to react. I saw more aggressive schemes, formations, blitzes and playcalling in that game than we have showed all season, and probably long into last season. This looked like a different defense out there for the most part.

The big question then is WHY? Why did they wait til Duke to let this go. Was it fear? A "must win" panic? Was it a response to Nebraska? Was this always somewhat in the cards? I asked on Sat night and there was a lot of disagreement, but I wonder if AG isn't playing JUST for the ACC right now. Maybe they decided to save their best stuff for Coastal play, and against Nebraska they decided to just sit in a base defense and not show much of anything.

Granted that is giving Golden a lot of credit, and Im not sure he deserves it. But the guy is not a total moron despite what many here think. He may be stubborn as ****, he may be wrong, he may not be a good HC, but he's not a total moron. I think he does have a plan, wether or not it will work, or whether its a stupid plan is a different question, but I don't believe this guy just does things without thinking of them.

So did we play more aggressively and run some of these new formations, stunts, etc out of "panic mode" or was this always the plan in the hopes of winning the Coastal?

are you ******* serious?

are you ******* serious?

Yes he is, he's been peddling this garbage on WEZ as well. Some people just don't get it, and don't want to get it. But they gon' learn.

Advertisement
Back