What I was expecting from Braxton Last year

Advertisement
I think Braxton will have a great year now that he will be playing his natural position in the slot. First two years were riddled with injury and last year he was put in a tough spot playing the outside WR because it was what was best for the team. If Cager or Mullins can step up on the outside, it will allow him to slide inside where he should be.

He was playing out of position all year. Still not sure why he was on the perimeter instead of the inside.

Advertisement
He was playing out of position all year. Still not sure why he was on the perimeter instead of the inside.

Because we really didn't have any other legit WR options last year outside of AR which is why you saw guys like Njoku in the slot to create those mismatches with LBs. I really hope this year we see Brax moved back to the slot, especially if Cager can come back fully healthy. By midseason I'd like to see a 3-WR rotation of:

X - Richards, Harris

Slot/Y - Berrios, Mullins, Thomas

Z - Cager, Dallas

A 5-WR set of AR, Berrios, Cager, Mullins, and Deejay could pose a lot of problems for opposing defenses, especially if we start working the jet sweep/motion offense a bit more.

I think everyone expected him to average more than one catch per game. Regardless of where he was lined up...

Because we really didn't have any other legit WR options last year outside of AR which is why you saw guys like Njoku in the slot to create those mismatches with LBs. I really hope this year we see Brax moved back to the slot, especially if Cager can come back fully healthy. By midseason I'd like to see a 3-WR rotation of:

X - Richards, Harris

Z - Cager, Dallas

A 5-WR set of AR, Berrios, Cager, Mullins, and Deejay could pose a lot of problems for opposing defenses, especially if we start working the jet sweep/motion offense a bit more.
I railed against this all last season, so might as well be consistent here. Berrios did look ok playing outside during practices. They'd run a number of clear-outs and he'd come underneath and catch the ball well. Against opponents, he couldn't create any separation. And, I mean any. This was particularly highlighted in the FSU game.

Basically, he didn't have the size or speed for those routes and he's better when given space to use quickness.

I know we've been told repeatedly he was placed in those positions because we didn't have anyone else. I have a difficult time accepting that because, even when Berrios showed he simply could not execute those routes, we left him there and never tried Harris or even Njoku out there. None of the square ins or slants were agility routes and it's odd we didn't at least *try* someone else there *after* Berrios failed to execute.

X - Richards, Harris

Z - Cager, Dallas

I railed against this all last season, so might as well be consistent here. Berrios did look ok playing outside during practices. They'd run a number of clear-outs and he'd come underneath and catch the ball well. Against opponents, he couldn't create any separation. And, I mean any. This was particularly highlighted in the FSU game.

Basically, he didn't have the size or speed for those routes and he's better when given space to use quickness.

I know we've been told repeatedly he was placed in those positions because we didn't have anyone else. I have a difficult time accepting that because, even when Berrios showed he simply could not execute those routes, we left him there and never tried Harris or even Njoku out there. None of the square ins or slants were agility routes and it's odd we didn't at least *try* someone else there *after* Berrios failed to execute.

Who else would we have tried on the outside? Lewis simply didn't have the ability post-injury. Cager was out. I think Harris was hurt for half the year (playing through injury.) Mullins apparently wasn't ready. As for Njoku, I'm guessing we saw him in the slot primarily as opposed to the edge so that he could line up against either a nickel DB or a LB and exploit those physical mismatches. Who was left? We could have done more to flex Herndon or Walton out wide I suppose - the lack of any kind of motion in our offense was infuriating, but that's another thread - but from a WR standpoint last year it really was "Brax or Bust" opposite Richards, IMO.

Advertisement

X - Richards, Harris

Z - Cager, Dallas

I think Thomas sees the field before Deejay. I believe by mid season he will be pushing Braxton for the starting spot.

X - Richards, Harris

Z - Cager, Dallas

I think Thomas sees the field before Deejay. I believe by mid season he will be pushing Braxton for the starting spot.

Talent-wise I could see that, but Deejay is already on campus practicing and already drawing praise from the coaches as a WR. I think he's the first man up this season.

Also, I think Dallas and Thomas play different WR positions (though they can move around, of course.) I see Deejay in an X or Z role, with Thomas in the slot. Both will play this year, IMO.

X - Richards, Harris

Z - Cager, Dallas

Who else would we have tried on the outside? Lewis simply didn't have the ability post-injury. Cager was out. I think Harris was hurt for half the year (playing through injury.) Mullins apparently wasn't ready. As for Njoku, I'm guessing we saw him in the slot primarily as opposed to the edge so that he could line up against either a nickel DB or a LB and exploit those physical mismatches. Who was left? We could have done more to flex Herndon or Walton out wide I suppose - the lack of any kind of motion in our offense was infuriating, but that's another thread - but from a WR standpoint last year it really was "Brax or Bust" opposite Richards, IMO.
I've mentioned Harris and preferring Njoku in the gronk role outside rather than rely on Berrios. Harris was available for many of the games Berrios played outside. I think we should just accept the coaches saw something in practice and it didn't translate to games. I will totally concede the "they were getting to know their players" reasoning offered in prior discussions on this topic.

Advertisement

X - Richards, Harris

Z - Cager, Dallas

I've mentioned Harris and preferring Njoku in the gronk role outside rather than rely on Berrios. Harris was available for many of the games Berrios played outside. I think we should just accept the coaches saw something in practice and it didn't translate to games. I will totally concede the "they were getting to know their players" reasoning offered in prior discussions on this topic.

Fair enough. I don't know enough about when/how badly Harris was hurt to speak to his availability. I agree that they could/should have moved Njoku around more (or moved ANYONE pre-snap more.) Like you say, we can just chalk it up to "it just didn't happen" and move on. Nice thing is that going forward, we have some legit options developing at all WR positions that there should be no personnel excuses for not getting these guys the ball.

X - Richards, Harris

Z - Cager, Dallas

Fair enough. I don't know enough about when/how badly Harris was hurt to speak to his availability. I agree that they could/should have moved Njoku around more (or moved ANYONE pre-snap more.) Like you say, we can just chalk it up to "it just didn't happen" and move on. Nice thing is that going forward, we have some legit options developing at all WR positions that there should be no personnel excuses for not getting these guys the ball.
True. I wouldn't pigeonhole Jeff Thomas to the slot position, either. Excited to see what he can do outside.

True. I wouldn't pigeonhole Jeff Thomas to the slot position, either. Excited to see what he can do outside.

I actually hesitated when I put Thomas in my "slot" projection for that very reason. Him running a 9-route on the edge with some clearout routes underneath? Fuggedaboudit.

Advertisement
Anyone else feel pretty strongly that we should abandon almost all 12 and 21 sets?

We're assembling some amazing talent at WR that shouldn't be wasted.

Anyone else feel pretty strongly that we should abandon almost all 12 and 21 sets?

We're assembling some amazing talent at WR that shouldn't be wasted.

Pretty much, with the possible exception of short-yardage. Not to pile on the bandwagon, but I think a variation of Clemson's offense (with more quick passes and perhaps fewer QB runs than they ran) would kill it here.

I think Braxton Berrios is going to have a break out season this year

Braxton, Cager, or Mullins... if all three or even just 1 or 2 were to have solid to break out seasons this offense is going to be ridiculous.

Let's just agree that this off-season we all feel better about the WR position both in depth and play-making ability. In fact, we are starting to feel that we have Miami-level players at nearly every position with perhaps depth issues at DB and RB for this year. But, the staff is certainly changing things! I can't wait for fall.

Advertisement
Back