What happened with Garvin last year?

A lot of people have been saying “he went from 5.5 sacks to 5 sacks. It’s not a huge deal” but the rest of his numbers show the whole story. Lack of effort has been cited along with the combine scout who mentioned his unwillingness to be coachable. It’s a shame because he’s talented.

The rest of his numbers aren't consistent with a low-effort player. He graded out very well with PFF. Part of the reason his production wasn't higher was scheme, double teams prior to Rousseau's emergence, and coming up a half-second short on a lot of plays - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you force a rushed throw, even if you don't bring the QB down, that's a successful play for a DE. Not much you can do as a DE if a QB throws the ball away. But of course, that half second could've also been attributable to a lack of effort.

I'm not saying I disagree with the idea that he could've played harder. But I dispute the notion that the rest of his numbers were consistently down. He was a good player last year, just not a great one.

Advertisement
Before we just completely **** on the kid let's keep in mind one other thing.

Was he not labeled multiple times in the off season as one of the hardest workers in the weight room by Feeley/Diaz and others?

To all of a sudden not give good effort means something must have transpired between that time that no one is talking about. I'm not arguing whether it's right or wrong, I'm just saying there's more to the story.

Or, it's people re-writing the narrative to try to explain something they don't understand.

The kid was a good player here. Nice-but-not-special freshman year, big sophomore year playing next to Willis and Joe Jackson, and a solid junior year on a less experienced line. He wasn't a star, but he was never expected to be. He was the 242nd player drafted, and was the 265th ranked player coming out of high school. Getting elite prospects matters. He wasn't that, but he was still good.

His career here was undoubtedly a success, although it's fair to say it maybe should've lasted one more year.

The final numbers in 2018 look good but his production started falling off late 2018. Had 14 tfls in his first 8 games in 2018. Had only 13 tfls in 18 games after that.

B86F75B7-BFE6-4B20-9BFB-94CDEF5D4031.jpeg

9873D587-0647-42A0-AA36-5F6A5B7B16FF.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not saying I disagree with the idea that he could've played harder. But I dispute the notion that the rest of his numbers were consistently down. He was a good player last year, just not a great one.

It's not that he was bad last year, just not as effective. I mean to go from 17 TFL to 9 is a pretty big drop-off for a guy who wasn't hurt. Also consider he got 3.5 TFL in his final game against Duke. So 5.5 TFL in 11 games is pretty poor production for a starting DE in this scheme.

Advertisement
It's not that he was bad last year, just not as effective. I mean to go from 17 TFL to 9 is a pretty big drop-off for a guy who wasn't hurt. Also consider he got 3.5 TFL in his final game against Duke. So 5.5 TFL in 11 games is pretty poor production for a starting DE in this scheme.

I agree with the overall sentiment.

But you can't throw out a player's best game, regardless of when it happens.

(As an aside - the fact his last game was his best game contradicts the notion that he was mailing it in by the end of the season, as many posters on this thread have suggested.)

Well what is sure the free lunch is over and his future will be filling out applications on at department stores and grocery stores , then saying.

“ WHAT HAVE I DONE “

I have no compassion for these children given every break and free lunch and support the world can offer and take it for granted.

NFL will reality check him real quick .

GOCANES

Well what is sure the free lunch is over and his future will be filling out applications on at department stores and grocery stores , then saying.

“ WHAT HAVE I DONE “

I have no compassion for these children given every break and free lunch and support the world can offer and take it for granted.

NFL will reality check him real quick .

GOCANES
A bit harsh re garvin, imo. Yes, it appears for some reason his effort level went down last year. But this wasnt a "dont even care enough to train right for the combine" kind of situation like JT4.

But I absolutely agree the NFL will check him real quick.

Advertisement
A post in another thread got me thinking regarding Garvin's production in 2019. There were multiple games last year where I caught myself saying "Where the **** is Garvin?". Most of us thought he was destined to be a higher round draft pick after an impressive sophomore campaign and displaying the disruption ability NFL teams covet. However, production fell off, he declared early, and ended up a 7th rounder.

While stats don't always tell the whole story, these are pretty telling (2018 had 1 extra game):

60 tackles vs. 37
17 TFL vs. 9
5.5 sacks vs. 5

The significant drop off in tackles and TFLs show a less impactful player throughout the course of a season.

Was the emergence of Rousseau the biggest factor? Did defenses figure him out? Was Baker not utilizing him correctly? Did his motor stop running as hard? Combination of all that?

I'm curious on your thoughts.
Protecting himself for the NFL

Dude was out doing the absolute minimum

Remove the duke game from last year which j think he had 5 TFLs and 2 sacks and his season totals are even more pathetic

Its the culture that was created. We got half the **** team on the sideline laughing and doing the running man while were getting our *** best against FIU. Our talent level and offensive scheme have improved dramatically, but that bull****s gotta go. If Diaz completely takes over the defense, turns up his agression towards players, and gets rid of all that silly ****, wel win a lot this year. The fire is on his *** now, so wel see how he handles it. But i want to see him start holding players accountable. Be quick to bench someones *** if there not producing. Rip into someones ***. And PLEASE, PLEASE, stop the dancing choreography!

A post in another thread got me thinking regarding Garvin's production in 2019. There were multiple games last year where I caught myself saying "Where the **** is Garvin?". Most of us thought he was destined to be a higher round draft pick after an impressive sophomore campaign and displaying the disruption ability NFL teams covet. However, production fell off, he declared early, and ended up a 7th rounder.

While stats don't always tell the whole story, these are pretty telling (2018 had 1 extra game):

60 tackles vs. 37
17 TFL vs. 9
5.5 sacks vs. 5

The significant drop off in tackles and TFLs show a less impactful player throughout the course of a season.

Was the emergence of Rousseau the biggest factor? Did defenses figure him out? Was Baker not utilizing him correctly? Did his motor stop running as hard? Combination of all that?

I'm curious on your thoughts.

Simple: Should’ve stayed at LE

Advertisement
Garvin and most of our guys can't think longterm. One good year doesn't make for a first round draft pick nor a first two days pick. These guys are cutting off their nose to spite their face. They think they are hurting the team and coaches by not putting forth a 100 percent effort, your taking food off your table and money out of your pockets.

man i remember after the VT/ND games
i thought he would be the next big time player to come from here
he had such a great coming out party on TV
and he also made that cali dude pack his bags and go back close to home to oregon hahaha
man what a waste
could it be bc he went from kul to simpson to stroud, maybe stroud didnt know how to motivate him like the other two did
good post. I spoke about this on one of the threads. How can a player develop with a revolving door of position coaches. All three of the aforementioned coaches probably motivate, or teach different technique.

Advertisement
Garvin and most of our guys can't think longterm. One good year doesn't make for a first round draft pick nor a first two days pick. These guys are cutting off their nose to spite their face. They think they are hurting the team and coaches by not putting forth a 100 percent effort, your taking food off your table and money out of your pockets.
Good point. I never understood why a player wouldn’t give max effort. Don’t they understand that NFL. Coaches talk to a players position coach to ask what am I getting with a certain player? For example does he give effort or is he a team guy?

Biggest problem we have at UM is a lack of talent. Recruit better, that will solve many but not all our issues. By far the most important position is QB and we have recruited that spot poorly for the last 10 years. Hopefully the two kids we have now will be the real deal.

More talent creates more competition. The best schools have talented depth so they know they gotta work hard or their spot will get snatched up. You don’t think Clinton Portis saw the young freaks behind him and that made him work even harder ?

Biggest problem we have at UM is a lack of talent. Recruit better, that will solve many but not all our issues. By far the most important position is QB and we have recruited that spot poorly for the last 10 years. Hopefully the two kids we have now will be the real deal.Ou
You are absolutely correct. Just look at the leap in talent at QB that has happened at clemson since they hit on a guy like Watson. Since then they have the pick of QBs. We need to find a guy like him or King and have them for multiple years. And then you have to be recruiting like this year or close for 3-5 years in a row. People say rankings don't matter, but when you have 2-3 5 stars and 10-12 4 stars, the chances of hitting on 5-6 guys in a class that are difference makers is much higher. You gotta fix the QB position first and foremost. These last two years have been a start but don't think we still have anything special. We should recruit dual threat guy every year and if you want guys like TVD and Garcia as well take one of those also. But get a dual threat guy that is a project and see what you can find.

Advertisement
Back