What happened with Garvin last year?

Advertisement
man i remember after the VT/ND games
i thought he would be the next big time player to come from here
he had such a great coming out party on TV
and he also made that cali dude pack his bags and go back close to home to oregon hahaha
man what a waste
could it be bc he went from kul to simpson to stroud, maybe stroud didnt know how to motivate him like the other two did

My biggest disappointment of the 2019 season. Very talented kid who could have set himself up for a big stats year opposite Rousseau, but he just flat out didn't give two &hits. I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was playing hurt at first, but then it became so obvious that he wasn't even trying and already had one foot out the door.

I thought his behavior was despicable for a kid of his talent, but I was even more upset with Manny that he couldn't either put a foot in Garvin's a&& to get him motivated or sit his a&& on the bench if he refused to give 100%. Good coaches may lose but never because their team gave **** poor effort.

A post in another thread got me thinking regarding Garvin's production in 2019. There were multiple games last year where I caught myself saying "Where the **** is Garvin?". Most of us thought he was destined to be a higher round draft pick after an impressive sophomore campaign and displaying the disruption ability NFL teams covet. However, production fell off, he declared early, and ended up a 7th rounder.

While stats don't always tell the whole story, these are pretty telling (2018 had 1 extra game):

60 tackles vs. 37
17 TFL vs. 9
5.5 sacks vs. 5

The significant drop off in tackles and TFLs show a less impactful player throughout the course of a season.

Was the emergence of Rousseau the biggest factor? Did defenses figure him out? Was Baker not utilizing him correctly? Did his motor stop running as hard? Combination of all that?

I'm curious on your thoughts.
That puzzy mailed it in!

The End

Advertisement
man i remember after the VT/ND games
i thought he would be the next big time player to come from here
he had such a great coming out party on TV
and he also made that cali dude pack his bags and go back close to home to oregon hahaha
man what a waste
could it be bc he went from kul to simpson to stroud, maybe stroud didnt know how to motivate him like the other two did

Good point about having 3 different DL coaches. Not that that excuses effort but could be another factor.

A post in another thread got me thinking regarding Garvin's production in 2019. There were multiple games last year where I caught myself saying "Where the **** is Garvin?". Most of us thought he was destined to be a higher round draft pick after an impressive sophomore campaign and displaying the disruption ability NFL teams covet. However, production fell off, he declared early, and ended up a 7th rounder.

While stats don't always tell the whole story, these are pretty telling (2018 had 1 extra game):

60 tackles vs. 37
17 TFL vs. 9
5.5 sacks vs. 5

The significant drop off in tackles and TFLs show a less impactful player throughout the course of a season.

Was the emergence of Rousseau the biggest factor? Did defenses figure him out? Was Baker not utilizing him correctly? Did his motor stop running as hard? Combination of all that?

I'm curious on your thoughts.

he was one of the few who mailed it in and attempted to try and not get hurt. Bad advice from people close to him

Before we just completely **** on the kid let's keep in mind one other thing.

Was he not labeled multiple times in the off season as one of the hardest workers in the weight room by Feeley/Diaz and others?

To all of a sudden not give good effort means something must have transpired between that time that no one is talking about. I'm not arguing whether it's right or wrong, I'm just saying there's more to the story.

Advertisement
Didn't some NFL scout say he was uncoachable, immature, and when things didn't go his way he would pout? So kind of like JT4. You think Rousseau was happy dropping back in coverage last year? Probably not but I'm sure he didn't ***** about it.

I believe that came from our "anonymous source" to an NFL scout.

some of the worst influences in some of these kids lives are the people around them.

they get in their ear recruiting pushing them to certain schools regardless if it’s what best for the kids, and then they have 1 ounce of success they start telling them to save themselves for the NFL.

Was he not labeled multiple times in the off season as one of the hardest workers in the weight room by Feeley/Diaz and others?

To all of a sudden not give good effort means something must have transpired between that time that no one is talking about. I'm not arguing whether it's right or wrong, I'm just saying there's more to the story.
True, he won that iron cane award before the season. During the season though he lacked effort and who knows maybe he wasn’t healthy last fall

Advertisement
True, he won that iron cane award before the season. During the season though he lacked effort and who knows maybe he wasn’t healthy last fall
Yeah it just doesn't add up. I hope he balls though he has potential to make an impact

During Fall camp and practices, Garvin seemed to be going half speed At times. Not giving 100%. It showed during the games. Garvin had the talent, but not the effort. there are too many College football players out there who have more Consistent effort. Effort is an important attribute in sports, especially football. It’s the difference between aver and great.

I hope Rousseau plays with the effort this season. If he does, he can have a special year and get drafted in the first round. Rousseau has rare talent, but he will lose millions if he doesn’t play with 100% effort

Advertisement
i lean more to them doing idfferent things schematically with him...which led later on to a lack of extra energy.

The guys who chose to do different things with him schematically are of course then going to tell the scouts something different.

Based on trajectory of our prior players they had to know he was leaving early..they should have found more ways to free him up...a glimpse into what he had was the Duke game. I mean he likely knew he was gone...but Rousseau flashed and he became the move around guy,etc. Its a reason why im very very cautious about Rousseau considering he will be a focal point of every team we play from here on out. What will they do?

We’re sucked is what transpired.

i lean more to them doing idfferent things schematically with him...which led later on to a lack of extra energy.

The guys who chose to do different things with him schematically are of course then going to tell the scouts something different.

Based on trajectory of our prior players they had to know he was leaving early..they should have found more ways to free him up...a glimpse into what he had was the Duke game. I mean he likely knew he was gone...but Rousseau flashed and he became the move around guy,etc. Its a reason why im very very cautious about Rousseau considering he will be a focal point of every team we play from here on out. What will they do?
Too much talent for a team to focus on just one guy next year on the dline next season.

Effort. NFL scouts told Bob McGinn it was obvious on tape that he wasn’t trying.
I agree with this assessment. Unfortunately, this is the polar opposite of what made the Miami Hurricanes an iconic football program. Our players always used to give max effort and were rarely (if ever) out-hustled. They typically lost due to things like: (1) high number of TOs (Vinny against Penn State) or (2) a bad call by the refs (Cleveland Gary against ND). Lack of effort was not part of the program. You had elite players pushing elite players and any slacking would result in riding the pine.

All Garvin did was cost himself a boatload of money (through lack of effort) and cost the team (because he wasn't nearly the same factor in games for the first half of the season). Really bad decision IMHO.

We need more players with that dawg in 'em. Fighters that want to win.

Advertisement
Back