What gives?

ImU2daDEF...CLF

Sophomore
I thought when you secure a pledge from an elite QB, that was supposed to be the key in attracting the skill position talent. We got a top flight signal caller in Olsen, and have yet to see any fruit from that. There haven't been any skill position commitments since Olsen came on board and I'm wondering why? (I know Travis Johnson commited after Olsen, but that had nothing to do with him IMO, TJ just wanted to be a Cane).

Advertisement
Posters will tell you it's to early in the game to be concerned but I wonder the same thing. If this was USC skill position players would be coming out the wood work to verbal.

I agree but the main difference between us and USC recently is USC has maintained elite national prominence, and for the most part, they're the only game in town. (UCLA gets the scraps).....

Posters will tell you it's to early in the game to be concerned but I wonder the same thing. If this was USC skill position players would be coming out the wood work to verbal.

Good point. I am just hoping we get our fair share of talent this year. Certainly have to secure the BTW boyz.

Elite level QBs generally help land elite level wide receivers.

Last year's class will make it hard to land receivers in this years class IMO.

Advertisement
We are signing a small class 15-18 kids, and huge holes to fill at S, and DT. IMO our big haul at the skill positions will be in the 2014 class as long as we don't get crushed by the NCAA.

I will hesitate to call you guys idiots, but this thread is kinda retarded. It's freaking July. Waaaaah, we don't have a full class committed...Waaaaah! We anointed Olsen "Baby Jesus" It was supposed to make a flood of five and four star kids commit on the spot.Waaaah!

It's about that time when you need to maybe not visit the recruiting board for a couple months. Let the coaches do their work. The actual football season will start, and believe it or not, some kids actually factor what happens in said season into where they might go to school.

Olsen's stock is only about to start to rise. The elite 11 just ended, and his senior season hasnt even begun yet. We are hoping that Olsen makes a decent jump in the next rankings and that might help out a bit, but if Olsen is the QB we think he is, we should see major dividends during the all star games.

Advertisement
I thought when you secure a pledge from an elite QB, that was supposed to be the key in attracting the skill position talent. We got a top flight signal caller in Olsen, and have yet to see any fruit from that. There haven't been any skill position commitments since Olsen came on board and I'm wondering why? (I know Travis Johnson commited after Olsen, but that had nothing to do with him IMO, TJ just wanted to be a Cane).

What skill position talent are you talking about? We already got our guy at RB, we have 3 TEs committed and we have WRs lined up and targeted. Notice the lack of WR offers? That's because we're only taking 1-2 and the staff is confident about their top guys. You might not see names on a commitment list but that doesn't mean the class isn't being put together behind the scenes.

Also what does all this have to do with Olsen? Most top programs have a top QB committed and there's only so much they can do for recruiting. Also keep in mind that you don't have to be a top recruit to recruit other players...UF had Trey Burton as their top recruiter 1 year and he was practically a nobody recruit.

What skill position talent are you talking about? We already got our guy at RB, we have 3 TEs committed and we have WRs lined up and targeted. Notice the lack of WR offers? That's because we're only taking 1-2 and the staff is confident about their top guys. You might not see names on a commitment list but that doesn't mean the class isn't being put together behind the scenes.

Also what does all this have to do with Olsen? Most top programs have a top QB committed and there's only so much they can do for recruiting. Also keep in mind that you don't have to be a top recruit to recruit other players...UF had Trey Burton as their top recruiter 1 year and he was practically a nobody recruit.

This^^

This^^

+1000. We took 8890090 WRs last year and are taking 98080008 TEs this year. We have Collins - if we lose Dillard, we will definitely go after another RB and we might still take another RB regardless of whether Dillard gets in if he's an elite kid. Except for maybe RB, our skill position depth is the LAST thing to be concerned with. We have a couple other much much bigger needs.

Advertisement
I have a gut that we land Jordan Cunningham. But we have a bunch of talent at the WR position. We still have Hurns for 2 year, Dorsett/Scott for 3, and Lewis, Lockhart, Waters, Carter for 4. Not to mention AJL most likely coming in this year after prep.

So if we get one of either Stacey Coley or Jordan Cunningham to go along with AJL then we're set. Don't forget the big boys Kerr, Dobard, and Johnson.

Advertisement
Back