What gives me hope for some Kaaya success - THIS YEAR

View as article

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
I've watched way too many Stephen Morris clips over the years. Last year, I charted nearly all of the plays. From those, I know almost exactly the type of plays, route trees and decisions he was asked to make. Last year, we played a relatively simple passing offense without any incredible pressure on Morris' decision-making. Let's take a look at some examples:

UM vs Pitt 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1pwXCmRxuI

Go to the PA short roll (to his right) at :01 seconds.

The QB's decision-making is significantly simplified here. If the defense is playing off, Morris could easily see the separation between outside WR and Corner. That's the pass he hit. That's what Kaaya would have to do. The important thing to note on a play like this, at least as it relates to THIS YEAR, is that the field was cut in half for the QB's decision. I'd expect a good amount of that - especially early on.

Go to the PA short roll (to his right) at :10 seconds.

4 WRs, vertical patterns on the inside, comebacks on the outside. Morris immediately looks to his right out of the shotgun, once again essentially cutting the field in half. The WRs at the top of the screen run a variation of the smash route. Instead of the outside WR running a curl, he runs a stop. The inside WR runs a (rather weak) corner route. When the Safety sits down (unexplainably) on the outside WR's stop route, the vertical slot goes by him. Morris simply hits a wide open WR. Smash concept is something junior high offenses run. Kaaya can make that read in his sleep, if asked.

Go to the PA short roll (to his right) at :30 seconds.

Balanced Pistol formation with 2 TEs at top, and twins at the bottom of screen. Simple, no-read WR screen to S. Coley who breaks it for a TD. No real analysis needed here. Expect a decent amount of 1-read throws - whether they're WR screens, RB screens, RB swing routes. Simple Combination routes out of the backfield between RB and H-Back or TE. Etc.

In the interest of not getting into too many of these so we can get into the discussion, here are other reasons:

1. Morris rarely (successfully) threw between LBs and Safeties. So, if Kaaya is unable to do this as a True Frosh, it would NOT be a deficiency from last year's offense.

2. Coley, Waters, Walford and others have another year under their belt. They should be better, more explosive and make Kaaya's job easier.

3. Health. We didn't have it last year when we lost Duke and Dorsett. That isn't something we can necessarily control, but if we have it, it's a PLUS as it relates to last year.

4. What could Morris do that Kaaya probably cannot? Some of the rocket throws to the opposite hash or in the corners. See approximately :42 seconds in the videos above.

However, Morris rarely, if ever, "threw a WR open." I don't know if Kaaya can do this, but if he can, it will make up for the deficiency and probably turn out as a plus (comparably).
-------------------------------------------------------------

The point here isn't to say that Kaaya won't have his struggles. It's to note that, at least based on the QB play we got last year and what our QB was asked to do, my hope is that we see virtually no downshift in the offense's ability to score points (relative to opponents, of course).

In terms of what I'd like to see us do with the offense and what we should expect, lots more to talk about here. Let's open it up.

Last edited:
Advertisement
"3. Health. We didn't have it last year when we lost Duke and Dorsett. That isn't something we can necessarily control, but if we have it, it's a PLUS as it relates to last year."

I'd add to this that we have depth this year that we didn't last year. When Duke went down we had serviceable backs, but nobody that could hope to emulate Duke's explosiveness. Yearby gives us an element on the bench this year that we simply lacked last year.

Lu,

What's your take on Morris' performance as a junior under Fisch as compared to last season?

Specifically, was Fisch giving him more to read/do or was he just utilizing his strengths/hiding his deficiencies better?

Lu,

What's your take on Morris' performance as a junior under Fisch as compared to last season?

Specifically, was Fisch giving him more to read/do or was he just utilizing his strengths/hiding his deficiencies better?

His deficiencies were handled better, I think. I'm not a Fisch fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but he was better at preparation (at least comparable to what we saw last year) and used the entire rectangle in a progressive fashion. For instance, we saw non-stop horizontal throws early in the season later become slant routes (which disappeared in 2013) and finally the deeper vertical routes.

Fisch had really good anticipation. His biggest issue seemed to be, like a lot of really smart guys (the Linehans, Andy Reids, etc.), not simplifying things to a practical identity. So, we often looked spectacular between the 20s and then as if JFisch was trying to come up with the most creative play possible in the redzone. Morris' lack of anticipation or touch was also a factor there.

I think Coley and a true Frosh Kaaya are a solid match because we'll see a lot of simplification, I imagine. We'll see a lot of how FSU treated EJ Manuel - cut the field in half, short PA rolls, swing patterns, etc.

Advertisement
Reason coley was so open on corner route on the smash pattern was it was Cover 3 match. SS plays curl to flat unless inside WR runs vertical stem, then it's man to man and you gotta hold outside leverage. Coley faked like it was a short out route, SS has to protect against out breaking routes so he bit hard on the fake and Coley blew past him.

Lu,

His deficiencies were handled better, I think. I'm not a Fisch fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but he was better at preparation (at least comparable to what we saw last year) and used the entire rectangle in a progressive fashion. For instance, we saw non-stop horizontal throws early in the season later become slant routes (which disappeared in 2013) and finally the deeper vertical routes.

Fisch had really good anticipation. His biggest issue seemed to be, like a lot of really smart guys (the Linehans, Andy Reids, etc.), not simplifying things to a practical identity. So, we often looked spectacular between the 20s and then as if JFisch was trying to come up with the most creative play possible in the redzone. Morris' lack of anticipation or touch was also a factor there.

I think Coley and a true Frosh Kaaya are a solid match because we'll see a lot of simplification, I imagine. We'll see a lot of how FSU treated EJ Manuel - cut the field in half, short PA rolls, swing patterns, etc.

I've watched way too many Stephen Morris clips over the years. Last year, I charted nearly all of the plays. From those, I know almost exactly the type of plays, route trees and decisions he was asked to make. Last year, we played a relatively simple passing offense without any incredible pressure on Morris' decision-making. Let's take a look at some examples:

UM vs Pitt 2013

Go to the PA short roll (to his right) at :01 seconds.

The QB's decision-making is significantly simplified here. If the defense is playing off, Morris could easily see the separation between outside WR and Corner. That's the pass he hit. That's what Kaaya would have to do. The important thing to note on a play like this, at least as it relates to THIS YEAR, is that the field was cut in half for the QB's decision. I'd expect a good amount of that - especially early on.

Go to the PA short roll (to his right) at :10 seconds.

4 WRs, vertical patterns on the inside, comebacks on the outside. Morris immediately looks to his right out of the shotgun, once again essentially cutting the field in half. The WRs at the top of the screen run a variation of the smash route. Instead of the outside WR running a curl, he runs a stop. The inside WR runs a (rather weak) corner route. When the Safety sits down (unexplainably) on the outside WR's stop route, the vertical slot goes by him. Morris simply hits a wide open WR. Smash concept is something junior high offenses run. Kaaya can make that read in his sleep, if asked.

Go to the PA short roll (to his right) at :30 seconds.

Balanced Pistol formation with 2 TEs at top, and twins at the bottom of screen. Simple, no-read WR screen to S. Coley who breaks it for a TD. No real analysis needed here. Expect a decent amount of 1-read throws - whether they're WR screens, RB screens, RB swing routes. Simple Combination routes out of the backfield between RB and H-Back or TE. Etc.

In the interest of not getting into too many of these so we can get into the discussion, here are other reasons:

1. Morris rarely (successfully) threw between LBs and Safeties. So, if Kaaya is unable to do this as a True Frosh, it would NOT be a deficiency from last year's offense.

2. Coley, Waters, Walford and others have another year under their belt. They should be better, more explosive and make Kaaya's job easier.

3. Health. We didn't have it last year when we lost Duke and Dorsett. That isn't something we can necessarily control, but if we have it, it's a PLUS as it relates to last year.

4. What could Morris do that Kaaya probably cannot? Some of the rocket throws to the opposite hash or in the corners. See approximately :42 seconds in the videos above.

However, Morris rarely, if ever, "threw a WR open." I don't know if Kaaya can do this, but if he can, it will make up for the deficiency and probably turn out as a plus (comparably).
-------------------------------------------------------------

The point here isn't to say that Kaaya won't have his struggles. It's to note that, at least based on the QB play we got last year and what our QB was asked to do, my hope is that we see virtually no downshift in the offense's ability to score points (relative to opponents, of course).

In terms of what I'd like to see us do with the offense and what we should expect, lots more to talk about here. Let's open it up.

I love the film work Lu. I agree with everything you said, especially point 1. It was maddening at times to see Morris have zero touch to get between defensive levels. He also had no touch on his short routes either. There were plenty of times that drives were killed because he couldn't hit the guy where he needed to be hit. The pass might have been completed, but he adjustment to the ball caused our WR to be tackled short, etc. I also very rarely saw Morris anticipate; I think Kaaya will be much better at this, even as a Freshman. And finally, the pocket presence and awareness. Morris was out of there if he felt ANY type of pressure, even though our pocket held. I think Brad will stand tall or check hot/dump a lot more often than Morris did.

Reason coley was so open on corner route on the smash pattern was it was Cover 3 match. SS plays curl to flat unless inside WR runs vertical stem, then it's man to man and you gotta hold outside leverage. Coley faked like it was a short out route, SS has to protect against out breaking routes so he bit hard on the fake and Coley blew past him.

I don't know what in that pre-snap look tells you that was Cover 3. They're not in single high (they have 2 safeties at about 12-14 yards). The outside Corner is most clearly not in Cover 3 technique. I don't know what you saw in Coley faking the short route. At no point does he stop, stutter, or do anything other than run what looks like a vertical route that eventually he turns into a corner route. The Safety had his eyes in the backfield and, because they had been hit with the stop route literally the play before, he jumped up and Coley blew past. It was a basic busted coverage by a distracted Safety.

Last edited:
They are 2 high presnap, it it turns into 3 Sky post snap, look at it again. FS goes to middle of the field and LBs drop. CB don't just play deep thirds anymore in Cov 3 like 20 years ago. It's man to man.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Agree that I don't see a huge drop-off between Kaaya and Snickers. Kaaya has a strong enough arm to make most throws and I feel like he has more of a mind for the game. Biggest drop-off would be speed, but Morris didn't use that very often last year because of injury.

lu, I know that the scores of the games will determine this , but what is your estimate in terms of the run-pass ratio with Kaaya under center?

Lu,

Thanks for the breakdown.

I agree that Coley/Kayaa should be a good match this year with a simplified approach.

My hope is that as Kayaa grows, so grows Coley. Long term I'd like to see us run an offense that utilized the entire field.

Kaaya already sees the field better then Morris. Snickers killed us last year with his inconsistency, his happy feet, his perception of pressure when it wasn't there. Love the move by Golden

Advertisement
We shouldn't have to "cut the field in half" or "simplify the offense" for any quarterback.

For me, it's not about having hope that Kaaya can succeed, for me he had BETTER succeed. He won't get any slack from me, or from the fan base, if he goes out there and makes freshman mistakes or if our offense isn't clicking due to being scaled down so much.

To me, this is ridiculous. Can this kid really go in to Louisville and win, beat Florida State, go to Blacksburg and win? We have a perfectly good, experienced quarterback in Jake Heaps and I gotta tell you.... this decision not to start him in favor of a true freshman who has never taken a snap in his life baffles me.

I hope to **** the staff knows what they're doing, because we're not grading on a curve. Anything less than 10 wins and a coastal division title is not acceptable.

They are 2 high presnap, it it turns into 3 Sky post snap, look at it again. FS goes to middle of the field and LBs drop. CB don't just play deep thirds anymore in Cov 3 like 20 years ago. It's man to man.

I just saw the Safety drop in the replay. I don't see Cover 3 technique from the outside CB at the top of the screen and I don't see any stutter or short fake by Coley.

Lu,

So glad someone reasonable could see this. This has been my biggest complaint of Coley so far. I desperately hope we use the middle more regardless if our qb is capable or not. The only thing you do by taking it away if limit yourself.

Advertisement
We shouldn't have to "cut the field in half" or "simplify the offense" for any quarterback.

For me, it's not about having hope that Kaaya can succeed, for me he had BETTER succeed. He won't get any slack from me, or from the fan base, if he goes out there and makes freshman mistakes or if our offense isn't clicking due to being scaled down so much.

To me, this is ridiculous. Can this kid really go in to Louisville and win, beat Florida State, go to Blacksburg and win? We have a perfectly good, experienced quarterback in Jake Heaps and I gotta tell you.... this decision not to start him in favor of a true freshman who has never taken a snap in his life baffles me.

I hope to **** the staff knows what they're doing, because we're not grading on a curve. Anything less than 10 wins and a coastal division title is not acceptable.

I am really glad you are not Miami's offensive coordinator.

Boom.

Lu,

So glad someone reasonable could see this. This has been my biggest complaint of Coley so far. I desperately hope we use the middle more regardless if our qb is capable or not. The only thing you do by taking it away if limit yourself.

Why would you want to do something that the QB is not capable of doing??? Makes zero sense.

Why force a QB (Morris) that is erratic, misses high and has no touch to make passes across the most dangerous and trafficked area of the field?

lu, I know that the scores of the games will determine this , but what is your estimate in terms of the run-pass ratio with Kaaya under center?

We ran the ball 436 times last year for a 4.8 average. We were 36th in yards per attempt, but only 97th in actual attempts. For comparison, FSU ran 505 times (53rd) for a 5.6 average (10th). Perhaps some of that had to do with Duke's injury.

I hope we're closer to 525 attempts this year and 5.1. According to last year stats, that would at least put us in the Top 50 of rushing attempts in the NCAA and top 25 in yards per attempt.

I think the run/pass ratio will fall toward run only slightly. I think what will change are the underneath routes/passes.

Advertisement
Back