What does the viper do in this defense

Advertisement
Advertisement
giphy.gif

Advertisement
Different defenses have different names for that position (Viper, Elephant, etc...), but it's essentially the edge-rushing DE. The 5-tech tends to be bigger and stronger, but maybe not the strongest pass rusher. The "Viper" might stand up, or even drop back into coverage at times.

Advertisement
We played a "viper" at TN Tech when I was there my freshman year. Basically just a versatile DE that does different things in terms of sometimes they are a stand up, some times hand in the ground, and occasionally drop back into coverage.

Advertisement
Different defenses have different names for that position (Viper, Elephant, etc...), but it's essentially the edge-rushing DE. The 5-tech tends to be bigger and stronger, but maybe not the strongest pass rusher. The "Viper" might stand up, or even drop back into coverage at times.

Beat me to it.

I believe our starter at viper that year ended with about 70 tackles, 7 sacks, 2 interceptions, and some forced fumbles. Was the playmaker of our front seven. Really versatile guy that could do it all, but was undersized (6'1-6'2 range about 225)

Advertisement
Back