What do you think Miami’s record would be with this schedule?

You know your Canes history.

I'll ask the same thing I asked the other guy, what conference ARE we a good fit for?

By the way, President Foote made the exact same argument you're making. That's why we didn't join the SEC. So you're in the esteemed company of Edward Thaddeus Foote on that one.
Haha good ol Tad Foote. I actually would run into him a lot growing up. He is even more of a stiff than he is portrayed.

We’re really not a shoe in for any conference but I’d say:

1. ACC
2. AAC
3. SEC

Like I said, I wish we were in the SEC (iron sharpens iron and just way more fun schools to play) but it’s just not a fit. Our university has more in common with member schools of the ACC and AAC than the SEC.

Advertisement
What makes you so sure? That's the conventional wisdom around here, backed up by zero facts and evidence.

Always question the dogma, it's good for you.

FSU didn't keep us from joining the ACC, did they? So what, aside from the fact that you've heard it parroted around here, makes you so sure that UF could or would block the SEC from adding Miami, given the fact that they've tried adding us before?

FSU wanted us in the ACC because they were unhappy with the conference office and how Carolina/basketball centric it was. That’s a different dynamic than what now exists in the SEC.
Haha good ol Tad Foote. I actually would run into him a lot growing up. He is even more of a stiff than he is portrayed.

1. ACC
2. AAC
3. SEC

Like I said, I wish we were in the SEC (iron sharpens iron and just way more fun schools to play) but it’s just not a fit. Our university has more in common with member schools of the ACC and AAC than the SEC.

AAC? WTF? Are you serious?

So we can be like UCF and go 13-0, but still not make the playoffs?

4-6... Kentucky and Vandy are lock wins... Missouri, Ole Miss and UT we win 2 of 3. The rest all losses.

Advertisement
FSU wanted us in the ACC because they were unhappy with the conference office and how Carolina/basketball centric it was.

Well.... I think that plan failed to pan out :rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg:

Good ole' FSU, always failing. They were also offered SEC membership, by the way. Turned it down as well.

1. ACC
2. AAC
3. SEC

I won't even argue why you think the ACC is a good fit. It isn't, but OK, whatever.

Tell me why "fit" is so **** important anyway? It's not like we're having these guys over for Thanksgiving dinner, we're playing a football game.

What TANGIBLE benefit do we get from "fit" and "having things in common?"

I can give you one for the SEC. Cheaper flights for non-revenue sports, shorter travel, less time away from class. Actually, that's three.

Why did you specifically pick USCe’s schedule, OP?

Schedules for SEC West teams are even tougher. South Carolina isn’t playing Alabama, for in case you didn’t notice.

Advertisement
I won't even argue why you think the ACC is a good fit. It isn't, but OK, whatever.

Tell me why "fit" is so **** important anyway? It's not like we're having these guys over for Thanksgiving dinner, we're playing a football game.

I can give you one for the SEC. Cheaper flights for non-revenue sports, shorter travel, less time away from class. Actually, that's three.

I think the ACC schools are closer than the SEC schools to Miami, actually. The ACC schools (except for ND) are all roughly due north of Miami. The SEC West schools, on the other hand, are not only north of Miami but west as well.

Anyway, Miami is extremely geographically isolated, so no conference will be a great geographic fit. Miami is something like 6 hours from the Georgia border-that’s got to be one of the longest distances in any state that it takes to exit the state.

I think the ACC schools are closer than the SEC schools to Miami, actually. The ACC schools (except for ND) are all roughly due north of Miami. The SEC West schools, on the other hand, are not only north of Miami but west as well.

Anyway, Miami is extremely geographically isolated, so no conference will be a great geographic fit. Miami is something like 6 hours from the Georgia border-that’s got to be one of the longest distances in any state that it takes to exit the state.

I'm no geography teacher, but I'm pretty sure Gainesville is closer than Pittsburgh.

And South Carolina is further south than North Carolina. Don't quote me on that one, though.

They would put us in the SEC East.

I'm no geography teacher, but I'm pretty sure Gainesville is closer than Pittsburgh.

And South Carolina is further south than North Carolina. Don't quote me on that one, though.

They would put us in the SEC East.

Think of places like College Station, Tx; Columbia; Missouri and Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Pittsburgh is actually closer to Miami than those places by car. IDK how the plane distance compares, since you can fly over the Gulf of Mexico.

FSU wanted us in the ACC because they were unhappy with the conference office and how Carolina/basketball centric it was. That’s a different dynamic than what now exists in the SEC.

Just like in 2000, they will find a way to not let us in....

Advertisement

I knew that was the reaction I was going to get and I agree with that. Those AAC programs are in a class below us. Look at the "universities" not "football programs". We have more in common with SMU and Tulane (we fight for the same students as they do) and like most AAC schools we're located in a major city. Outside of having a historic football team we barely have anything in common with large southern state schools. Academia chooses conferences based on fit to market to prospective students and establish their brand. The U of Miami cares more about having an alumni base in the "Philadelphia" area than having a presence in South Carolina. Cane14 says f that I want to be in the SEC.

Last edited:
Would Miami have years of higher budgets and no recruiting rules before taking on this schedule or no?
Exactly. Being a part of the SEC brings special challenges and special privileges.

Texas A&M was a complete dumpster fire for its last decade in the Big 12. That program, had it remained that way in the SEC would have been a perennial 4-5 win team (with a soft OOC schedule). Instead their recruiting picked up and they've been more relevant than Texas since leaving the Big 12.

Think of places like College Station, Tx; Columbia; Missouri and Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Pittsburgh is actually closer to Miami than those places by car. IDK how the plane distance compares, since you can fly over the Gulf of Mexico.

None of those teams are in the SEC East.

But Pitt IS in the Coastal along with us.

Advertisement

It's important to academia because they want to be grouped with like minded schools that have the same common interests. The University of Miami has a more similar vision to Duke than Ole Miss. The university would not feel like it was getting good representation in the SEC as opposed to the ACC/AAC. Stems back to the question of "do you want to be a football school or the Harvard of the South" bullsh#t Foote wanted. I like higher revenues and tougher competition. I am not the decision maker unfortunately.

The East/West divisions are only for football. We’d have to travel to the Western schools for non-revenue sports.

Guess I'd know that if I followed any sport other than football. When is the last time we had our water polo team take a bus to Pittsburgh?

By air, the SEC schools are certainly closer, and the hotels are cheaper.

It's important to academia because they want to be grouped with like minded schools that have the same common interests. The University of Miami has a more similar vision to Duke than Ole Miss. The university would not feel like it was getting good representation in the SEC as opposed to the ACC/AAC. Stems back to the question of "do you want to be a football school or the Harvard of the South" bullsh#t Foote wanted. I like higher revenues and tougher competition. I am not the decision maker unfortunately.

Academia forms its own alignments and research partnerships, it doesn't rely on athletic conferences. That's common sense, but if you don't believe me, you can look in to it yourself.

Actually, each school within the University can form its own networks with any schools it chooses.

The ONLY academic alignment I'm aware of that has anything to do with football is something the Big 10 has going on, but even that isn't anything major.

Advertisement
Back