What did the fan base think about Manny last time he was a DC?

When will some of you get that on any given week a good offense can drop 40 and 500 on ANY defense in college football.

View attachment 142958
Who isn't getting that?

Now show us, since Venables has been at Clemson, him giving up that many points 2 games every year, **** one in most years.

The bigger point? A certain second game with Notre Dame had Clemson's swiss cheese defense giving up 10.

The bottom line with somebody like Venables is that getting 30 plus points hung on him is the exception to the rule, not the rule. There is no coach EVER that hasn't had bad days.

Other factors? In your example against the Shame, Forever Trevor was out and the offense sucked balls the first half stranding a young defense...not an excuse, just saying...our defense is normally better when our offense is scoring and/or controlling the clock and keeping the opposing offense off the field.

Advertisement
Who isn't getting that?

Now show us, since Venables has been at Clemson, him giving up that many points 2 games every year, **** one in most years.

The bigger point? A certain second game with Notre Dame had Clemson's swiss cheese defense giving up 10.

The bottom line with somebody like Venables is that getting 30 plus points hung on him is the exception to the rule, not the rule. There is no coach EVER that hasn't had bad days.

Other factors? In your example against the Shame, Forever Trevor was out and the offense sucked balls the first half stranding a young defense...not an excuse, just saying...our defense is normally better when our offense is scoring and/or controlling the clock and keeping the opposing offense off the field.
Vegetables over the years............
2020 - 47 (L) and 49 (L)
2019 - 42 (L)
2018 - 35 (W)
2017 - 27 (L) and 31 (W)
2016 - 36 (W), 34 (W), 43 (L), 35 (W), and 31 (W)
2015 - 41 (W), 32 (W), 37(W), and 45 (L)

He's benefitted quite a bit from having Watson and Lawrence because he has been exposed, wait for it, just like EVERY OTHER DEFENSIVE COACH in the last 7-10 years since the game shifted to Offense dominated

Vegetables over the years............
2020 - 47 (L) and 49 (L)
2019 - 42 (L)
2018 - 35 (W)
2017 - 27 (L) and 31 (W)
2016 - 36 (W), 34 (W), 43 (L), 35 (W), and 31 (W)
2015 - 41 (W), 32 (W), 37(W), and 45 (L)

He's benefitted quite a bit from having Watson and Lawrence because he has been exposed, wait for it, just like EVERY OTHER DEFENSIVE COACH in the last 7-10 years since the game shifted to Offense dominated
I like that post, provides research and actual evidence, I stand corrected...lol I should have raised the point bar.

I think when you look at what years had more than less, you can determine how young/veteran a defense he had. 2018 and 2019 speak for themselves. In 2016, each of the four were wins and, outside of the Pitt game (which still baffles everyone), Alabama was undefeated until Clemson beat them, Lousiville was 9-4, FSU was 10-3, VT was 10-4 and Ohio State was 11-2. All good offenses, and the season ends in a National Title...I'll take it.

I like that post, provides research and actual evidence, I stand corrected...lol I should have raised the point bar.

I think when you look at what years had more than less, you can determine how young/veteran a defense he had. 2018 and 2019 speak for themselves. In 2016, each of the four were wins and, outside of the Pitt game (which still baffles everyone), Alabama was undefeated until Clemson beat them, Lousiville was 9-4, FSU was 10-3, VT was 10-4 and Ohio State was 11-2. All good offenses, and the season ends in a National Title...I'll take it.
Don't get me wrong, I would take Mr. Vegetables in a heartbeat. He is definitely one of the best in the business. One thing I absolutely love about the guy is what he learns from his wrongs. His adjustments put him in the top 3 for DC.
It is hard these days to truly distinguish who top flight DC's are because the game is tailored so much to offense and protecting offensive players.

16,17,18 and 19 combined Manny’s D gave up more than 30 six times. Twice to Clemson, twice to Wisconsin and twice to VT with those last two requiring a massive asterisk.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back