What did the fan base think about Manny last time he was a DC?

ScorpioCane

Caniac
Premium
Just in case y’all forgot most everyone was happy with Manny’s defense and said that all we needed was a modern offense to match. To put things in perspective we are just two full season removed from Manny being our DC. Two names in Muschamp and Strong that I have seen mentioned by the fan base, come with concerns that they have not been successful DCs or DCs in a while and we are afraid that offenses may have passed them buy.

Well guess what Manny has fielded a good defense in recent memory (two and three years ago to be exact). He also showed the ability to adapt in moving from a 4-3 to a 4-2-5 during his time as a DC at Miami. My guess is he is trying to recapture that magic and fix things himself. For all the complaints that you can’t be a HC and call a defense or offense for that matter and be successful, look no further than these few names Justin Wilcox (just relinquished play calling duties this season 2020), Gary Patterson , Ryan Day, Jimbo Fisher, Dan Mullen, and Lincoln Riley. I saw a few mentions that we need to go after Chad Glasgow given that TCU runs a 4-2-5 defense as well, but guess what Gary Patterson actually calls the defense. The point is there are different routes to be successful as a head coach wether taking a CEO type role like Dabo (who by the way has never called plays as an OC or DC) or being a strong coordinator who continues to call plays as the HC (and possibly look to become the CEO type later on down the line ala Nick Saban)

While I agree that Baker is probably taking up a coaching spot and probably shouldn’t be retained, at least he is not calling plays and maybe we can see him move on after this season. Personally if Manny can recoup his defensive mojo I would like for us to elevate a guy like Lockett just for recruiting similar to DVD. I think with Simpson, Manny, and TRob they can handle coaching the three position groups.

I also actually like moving Rumph to an off the field role, regardless of the recruiting title I view the move as more of an analyst role, which we all envy the embarrassment of riches that Bama has in those position. Although Rumph is a terrible recruiter, we know the man knows football from an X and O’s perspective and has developed some talent like it or not.

At the end of the day Manny will either succeed as a HC calling the defensive or fail. If he does succeed he can always move into a CEO type role later on down the road and give the play calling up to a competent DC.

One thing for sure and two thing for certain I love this U and I am going to support the decisions that have been made and let it play out. If it works out great and if it doesn’t then we will have the right to bash Manny and call it a failure.

Until then in #MannyWeTrust #ManolaDiaz

Advertisement
"Just in case y’all forgot most everyone was happy with Manny’s defense."

Most people are NPC's who dont have a clue whats going on.

I remember Kurt Benkert or whatever his name was, going like 17 for 17 to start a game. Thats where the meme of backup QB's looking Heisman winners came from. The only thing that saved him were all of Goldens players miraculously forcing a crazy number of turnovers.

I remember a noticeably overweight 3rd String Pitt QB shredding us through the air too.

But we still got smoked when we played Clemson, Wisconsin, Wisconsin and any other REAL team. The difference now is the whole team are Diaz recruits and there is no development. Thats why they rely on the Portal every off season.

Manny did very well as DC, for the most part.

Difference now is he’s the HEAD COACH, so he’s responsible for all the head coach things. And we need him to excel at those things to get where we want to be. The obvious concern is how does adding defensive responsibilities to his plate affect his ability to be the best head coach possible.

The safe bet is it’s not an ideal scenario. Doesn’t mean it can’t work, don’t get me wrong, and I hope he’s the best to ever do it. But if I had to bet...

Advertisement
you have to wonder how much of his improvement as a coordinator had to do with richt is the thing

did richt tell him to stop with that stupid delayed safety blitz? Because he stopped doing it, richt gone, here it is back and worse than ever. So is it baker calling it, or manny going back to his gimmicks?

Just in case y’all forgot most everyone was happy with Manny’s defense and said that all we needed was a modern offense to match. To put things in perspective we are just two full season removed from Manny being our DC. Two names in Muschamp and Strong that I have seen mentioned by the fan base, come with concerns that they have not been successful DCs or DCs in a while and we are afraid that offenses may have passed them buy.

Well guess what Manny has fielded a good defense in recent memory (two and three years ago to be exact). He also showed the ability to adapt in moving from a 4-3 to a 4-2-5 during his time as a DC at Miami. My guess is he is trying to recapture that magic and fix things himself. For all the complaints that you can’t be a HC and call a defense or offense for that matter and be successful, look no further than these few names Justin Wilcox (just relinquished play calling duties this season 2020), Gary Patterson , Ryan Day, Jimbo Fisher, Dan Mullen, and Lincoln Riley. I saw a few mentions that we need to go after Chad Glasgow given that TCU runs a 4-2-5 defense as well, but guess what Gary Patterson actually calls the defense. The point is there are different routes to be successful as a head coach wether taking a CEO type role like Dabo (who by the way has never called plays as an OC or DC) or being a strong coordinator who continues to call plays as the HC (and possibly look to become the CEO type later on down the line ala Nick Saban)

While I agree that Baker is probably taking up a coaching spot and probably shouldn’t be retained, at least he is not calling plays and maybe we can see him move on after this season. Personally if Manny can recoup his defensive mojo I would like for us to elevate a guy like Lockett just for recruiting similar to DVD. I think with Simpson, Manny, and TRob they can handle coaching the three position groups.

I also actually like moving Rumph to an off the field role, regardless of the recruiting title I view the move as more of an analyst role, which we all envy the embarrassment of riches that Bama has in those position. Although Rumph is a terrible recruiter, we know the man knows football from an X and O’s perspective and has developed some talent like it or not.

At the end of the day Manny will either succeed as a HC calling the defensive or fail. If he does succeed he can always move into a CEO type role later on down the road and give the play calling up to a competent DC.

One thing for sure and two thing for certain I love this U and I am going to support the decisions that have been made and let it play out. If it works out great and if it doesn’t then we will have the right to bash Manny and call it a failure.

Good post, the 2 main things that made coach diaz look like an above average d-co, he was in a situation where the aggression was brought back to the defense and the mindset and caliber players he's coaching, so alot of what he does has worked here. With that being said, his scheme is primarily d-line and safety oriented, which is why overall linebacker play has been trash since he's been here, under diaz he called more man-press blitzes, under baker, he's a zone-blitz scaredy cat, and baker can't run that defensive scheme better than diaz, so the results speak for themselves.

More importantly, under diaz, that defensive system was fundamentally flawed, linebackers almost never at their proper depths nor do they rotate out or identify formations properly which means **** poor coaching in that area, they basically have our linebackers playing like safeties and our safeties playing like linebackers which is why which is why if I'm not mistaken a safety led the team in tackles 3 out of the 4years manny was the d-co. Now under baker, the safeties are 2 for 2 in leading the team in tackles.

If we gone run this system, diaz needs to be running it and send baker up in the booth, that might save his career. I'm with you, it's the coach diaz's show now, if this what he thinks is best, it'll either work or he'll suffer the consequences. He was able to bring jess simpson back by default, no real True seasoned d-co was coming to work under coach diaz, so he definitely had to pick pieces.

It's going to be real interesting to see what effect t-rob will have on the secondary, and the defense as a whole. They all will look better with jess simpson back at the helm, he'll bring hand-placement back and instill even more confidence in our d-linemen. One things for certain, when coach diaz was the d-co, coach rumph db's did work, is t-rob a better cornerbacks coach than coach rumph, we'll be able to tell at some point. The real football people in here will know the difference and factor in reality, the clowns will continue the fluffed up nonsensical and inconsequential bullshat!

Advertisement

So are you saying you want a new head coach so Manny can be our DC, as each is a full time job in itself?

People loved Manny's D because it wasn't D'Onofrio's D. Golden and D'Onofrio were constantly saying they needed more talent to execute their D and recruited like mad making it work. We had talent on D.

Manny's D catered to the talent we had at the time. It was a breath of fresh air having a crowded D line that knew how to get in the backfield.

Now after years of misses in recruiting, and legit talent bolting, we have what we have.

I don't think Manny or Baker have much talent for play calling, rather they had talent to mask their deficiencies.

To sum up: Shannon 2.0

"Just in case y’all forgot most everyone was happy with Manny’s defense."

Most people are NPC's who dont have a clue whats going on.

I remember Kurt Benkert or whatever his name was, going like 17 for 17 to start a game. Thats where the meme of backup QB's looking Heisman winners came from. The only thing that saved him were all of Goldens players miraculously forcing a crazy number of turnovers.

I remember a noticeably overweight 3rd String Pitt QB shredding us through the air too.

But we still got smoked when we played Clemson, Wisconsin, Wisconsin and any other REAL team. The difference now is the whole team are Diaz recruits and there is no development. Thats why they rely on the Portal every off season.
Amen, man, Amen.

People seem to forget what our defense was like right before Diaz here. We were starving and someone tossed us a cracker finally.

Geezus, we literally had a read and react defensive front in FREAKIN Miami. ANY attack defense...literally ANY....would have been better than the atrocity Mark D. put on that field.

Don't confuse gratitude to see any semblance of what Miami was before (and should have never left) to some belief that Manny Diaz is some shut down, dominant DC. He is not Brent Venables, and he isn't even on the same planet, at least not at this point in time.

Amen, man, Amen.

People seem to forget what our defense was like right before Diaz here. We were starving and someone tossed us a cracker finally.

Geezus, we literally had a read and react defensive front in FREAKIN Miami. ANY attack defense...literally ANY....would have been better than the atrocity Mark D. put on that field.

Don't confuse gratitude to see any semblance of what Miami was before (and should have never left) to some belief that Manny Diaz is some shut down, dominant DC. He is not Brent Venables, and he isn't even on the same planet, at least not at this point in time.
I don’t disagree with anything you said. Anything was better than No D but there’s no shut down defenses anymore. Even Brett venables has gotten exposed

Advertisement
I don’t disagree with anything you said. Anything was better than No D but there’s no shut down defenses anymore. Even Brett venables has gotten exposed
Yeah...he has been exposed alright. 3 National Championships as a DC and his worst losses may be against a solid Ohio Taint team this year and National Championship L$U squad the year before, both games in the Final Four. I don't recall him losing a game like Manny has to Clemson/North Carolina, but I'm sure that debacle is there somewhere if you say so...

Yeah...he has been exposed alright. 3 National Championships as a DC and his worst losses may be against a solid Ohio Taint team this year and National Championship L$U squad the year before, both games in the Final Four. I don't recall him losing a game like Manny has to Clemson/North Carolina, but I'm sure that debacle is there somewhere if you say so...
Team accomplishments are irrelevant, we’re talking about the fact that his defense is not unstoppable.

I recall him giving up 40+ to Pitt and losing. 30+ to NC State and VA Tech.
LSU, osu, and Bama have already been mentioned. I mean if folks are going to pull the Wisconsin, Clemson, and UNC scores out against Manny to prove a point, then you gotta do the same against Brent Vegetables. He’s been exposed by “real teams” and not so real teams.

Advertisement
They've had games not as bad as our UNC game but games where they gave up way more than they should've. That game against Pitt and gave up 43 in I think 2016.

When will some of you get that on any given week a good offense can drop 40 and 500 on ANY defense in college football.

70936D71-ADAA-4F60-9C0D-A520AD9BDB03.jpeg

When will some of you get that on any given week a good offense can drop 40 and 500 on ANY defense in college football.

View attachment 142958
True point. However, NC running backs were cleaner after the game and at least ND backs had some scruff marks from hitting the turf.

Book had like 70 of the rushing yards.

That was last year and changes were made so I am pretty excited about seeing what changes are made on the field. We got hammered a couple times but all things considered not a bad rebound season. Hope we build on it.

I recall him giving up 40+ to Pitt and losing. 30+ to NC State and VA Tech.
LSU, osu, and Bama have already been mentioned. I mean if folks are going to pull the Wisconsin, Clemson, and UNC scores out against Manny to prove a point, then you gotta do the same against Brent Vegetables. He’s been exposed by “real teams” and not so real teams.
And if we’re keeping it real, we should’ve beat Wisconsin in the orange bowl. I think Malik threw like 3 picks that game

Advertisement
Back