What Clemson OC Tony Elliott had to say about Miami Defense today

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
"When you watch the film of last year, you see a lot of new bodies this year. So I think part of what you saw is just a unit that continues to get better. They continue to build cohesion, chemistry, and communication. The more these guys play together -- they're extremely talented, I mean they're talented at all three levels -- but they haven't all played together. So just seeing those guys week-to-week, they're going to improve."

— On Miami defensive end Jaelan Phillips:

"He's what you'd come to expect out of ACC defensive ends. He's big, long. 6-5, 266 pounds. Has twitch off the edge and counter moves on pass-rush. He's physical at the point of attack. Doesn't mind mixing it up in the run game. I don't know if he's quite as quick twitch as Bradley Chubb at N.C. State, but he's that combination guy that can do it all."

— On safety Bubba Bolden:

"Big, man. He reminds me of the big safety that came out of USC a couple years ago that was a freaky talent. Su'a Cravens. His body type, he's just a big, physically-imposing looking guy. We had to double check his weight if he's 200, 220 pounds. We weren't sure there. He's a big guy. He plays with a lot of confidence. You can see the way he sits on some coverage things, he's confident there in his ability to redirect and be physical but also try to run with guys. He's a great addition for them. The more he plays, the more special he's going to get."

— On what has his attention about Miami's defense:

"Biggest thing is stopping the penetration on the defensive line. They do a great job of penetrating. And being able to hold up with the speed and athleticism off the edge. And then you're going to have to go make contested plays. All of the things we're used to in games where the talent is equally matched. We know we have to handle the line of scrimmage. Because they're going to be aggressive, they're going to attack you. And then you have to make plays in tight coverage on the back end. They're long, we already talked about Bolden, but both of their corners are long, athletic and physical at the line of scrimmage. Because of the style of play, they are going really force you to throw into tight windows, so we are going to have to be very accurate when we do throw the ball downfield. And they have some great athletes in the secondary that can take the ball away if you're not careful."

— On a top-10 Miami team/program:

"Always have had a ton of respect for Miami. Just a couple of years ago, they were in the ACC Championship. And that's some film we're studying to make sure we're aware of some of the things they've done in the past. For us, you need good rivals. You need teams that are going to challenge you week in and week out. And so it's good for them to be back where they are. They've worked their butts off. I haven't spent a bunch of time with Manny (Diaz) but in passing, seems like he's an awesome guy that's about the right things."

Advertisement
Just a couple of years ago, they were in the ACC Championship. And that's some film we're studying to make sure we're aware of some of the things they've done in the past

Hope that is all they do lol.. Study 2017 and the great Richt offense... He is full of it and miss leading. I bet he will be all over our first 3 games & Rhett O

He's.....their.....offensive....coordinator.

He won't be watching Richt's…….sigh.

Advertisement
Here's his video conference -

Elliott:

2:26 thru 4:16 minute mark is general comments and talks about Jaelan Philliips
7:39 min mark talks about Bubba Bolden
12:00 min mark some comments about manny
18:38 more comments about facing Canes

Advertisement
"When you watch the film of last year, you see a lot of new bodies this year. So I think part of what you saw is just a unit that continues to get better. They continue to build cohesion, chemistry, and communication. The more these guys play together -- they're extremely talented, I mean they're talented at all three levels -- but they haven't all played together. So just seeing those guys week-to-week, they're going to improve."

— On Miami defensive end Jaelan Phillips:

"He's what you'd come to expect out of ACC defensive ends. He's big, long. 6-5, 266 pounds. Has twitch off the edge and counter moves on pass-rush. He's physical at the point of attack. Doesn't mind mixing it up in the run game. I don't know if he's quite as quick twitch as Bradley Chubb at N.C. State, but he's that combination guy that can do it all."

— On safety Bubba Bolden:

"Big, man. He reminds me of the big safety that came out of USC a couple years ago that was a freaky talent. Su'a Cravens. His body type, he's just a big, physically-imposing looking guy. We had to double check his weight if he's 200, 220 pounds. We weren't sure there. He's a big guy. He plays with a lot of confidence. You can see the way he sits on some coverage things, he's confident there in his ability to redirect and be physical but also try to run with guys. He's a great addition for them. The more he plays, the more special he's going to get."

— On what has his attention about Miami's defense:

"Biggest thing is stopping the penetration on the defensive line. They do a great job of penetrating. And being able to hold up with the speed and athleticism off the edge. And then you're going to have to go make contested plays. All of the things we're used to in games where the talent is equally matched. We know we have to handle the line of scrimmage. Because they're going to be aggressive, they're going to attack you. And then you have to make plays in tight coverage on the back end. They're long, we already talked about Bolden, but both of their corners are long, athletic and physical at the line of scrimmage. Because of the style of play, they are going really force you to throw into tight windows, so we are going to have to be very accurate when we do throw the ball downfield. And they have some great athletes in the secondary that can take the ball away if you're not careful."

— On a top-10 Miami team/program:

"Always have had a ton of respect for Miami. Just a couple of years ago, they were in the ACC Championship. And that's some film we're studying to make sure we're aware of some of the things they've done in the past. For us, you need good rivals. You need teams that are going to challenge you week in and week out. And so it's good for them to be back where they are. They've worked their butts off. I haven't spent a bunch of time with Manny (Diaz) but in passing, seems like he's an awesome guy that's about the right things."
Sound like a setup. Hope the guys are not reading and believing this. I was hoping he was cutting us down. Reed is in their ear telling them they did nothing yet! Knock out Clemson and run the table and then we are back! Until then we are just making some noise.

We’ve seen Clemson this yr, and while Clemson is still immensely talented, clearly they’ve taken a step back in some areas, at least it appears that way. One area appears to be the OL. I trust Rochè & Phillips. Silvera is coming into his own. Let the guys play hat on hat.

I do not want us to “exotically” blitz all game, leaving our weak points (LB, Ivey, & Carter) exposed butt naked in one on one situations, b/c Lawrence WILL burn us. Let’s play hat on hat football. We’ve got the #1 DE in his class at one position, a projected 2nd round pick from last yr at DE playing opposite, and the #3 DT in his class manning the middle. We got the talent; let’s see what our front four can do to keep Lawrence honest & get as many guys to hunt Etienne out the backfield.

Advertisement
I have to admit, I hope and pray to God, Allah, Vishnu, The Great Salamander King, or anyone else their DC is watching our game film from 1926 through 2019.

LOL I hear you. But we both know that's wishful thinking.

I will bet every single dollar I have to my name that Brent Venables has watched tape of no more than 3 University of Miami football games. And those 3 are the 3 we've played this year. He also watched SMU tape from last year. But he has seen 0.0 snaps of a Miami football game from 2019 or earlier.

Pretty much said what I have been saying since the first game.

These guys need to play together to form a chemistry and should be better as the year goes by.

I am not as worried about the Defense as so many gloom and doomers are around here.

Advertisement
Elliot

Reading between the lines.

They will throw short quick passes and challenge our corners or isolate Bolden in coverage with Amari Rodgers like Louisville did with Atwell.

His comments about the edge tells me he intends to try and attacks the edge with the run like Louisville did. I think that Phillips will hold up but he will try and run at Roche 6-3 245 who isn't as strong against the run and will be lined up across their most talented OL 6-5 345 pound Jackson

Expect the usual jet action, reverse action, and screen action from their offense in order to take advantage of our over aggressiveness, bad pursuit lanes and lack of discipline with gap integrity and contain.

Last edited:

Venables

Read between the lines.

He's saying our offense is window dressing. All he has to do is get his guys to recognize formation/personnel tendency.

He talks about chemistry and cohesion that means he plans to throw his exotic stuff. Lots of zone blitz with different coverages behind them.

I think that King has yet to show that he can complete the ball deep on the boundary and our Wrs haven't shown they can separate consistently. So I think he presses the Wrs.

Venables

Read between the lines.

He's saying our offense is window dressing. All he has to do is get his guys to recognize formation/personnel tendency.

He talks about chemistry and cohesion that means he plans to throw his exotic stuff. Lots of zone blitz with different coverages behind them.

I think that King has yet to show that he can complete the ball deep on the boundary and our Wrs haven't shown they can separate consistently. So I think he presses the Wrs.
Yup, will pay close attention to TE since they are weapons. Take them away, load box and dare our WR to beat their corners one on one

Yup, will pay close attention to TE since they are weapons. Take them away, load box and dare our WR to beat their corners one on one
I did not hear anything about what he thinks about our run defense. I would bet their game plan is to try and run it down our throats.

Advertisement
Back