What Changed for Butch Davis at UM?

pimpcane1

Junior
Early in Butch Davis' tenure at UM, much like Mario, he was known to lose games that he had no business losing. But something clicked after losing to Washington in the 2000 season as a favorite.

What changed? And what can Mario learn from it?

Advertisement
Early in Butch Davis' tenure at UM, much like Mario, he was known to lose games that he had no business losing. But something clicked after losing to Washington in the 2000 season as a favorite.

What changed? And what can Mario learn from it?
1. In 2000, he amassed arguably the greatest collection of talent seen in college football and the team had garnered enough experience on the field to be hitting on all cylinders. The team was so good Larry Coker of all people won a NC and should have won a 2nd.

2. We'll never know if Butch would have continued to lose some games that he had no business losing at times. I will say I don't think there is a Fiesta Bowl loss with Butch as HC nor close games against VT and BC.

I think what Mario could learn from it is stack your team as best you can so you can out-talent most teams. Man your coaching staff with the best coaches you can find as well.

Last edited:
1. In 2020, he amassed arguably the greatest collection of talent seen in college football and the team had garnered enough experience on the field to be hitting on all cylinders. The team was so good Larry Coker of all people won a NC and should have won a 2nd.

2. We'll never know if Butch would have continued to lose some games that he had no business losing at times. I will say I don't think there is a Fiesta Bowl loss with Butch as HC nor close games against VT and BC.

I think what Mario could learn from it is stack your team as best you can so you can out-talent most teams. Man your coaching staff with the best coaches you can find as well.
Idk if that 2020 FIU team had the greatest collection of talent in college football, that seems extreme, they didn't win a game

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

What? Butch was our previous coach 2020?

Early Butch teams did not know how to win. He built an amazing progrum because he knew wtf he was doing and he was a very good coach despite what others have to say. He was one of the best at talent evaluation and it obviously paid off. Gets too much unnecessary heat for being a questionable game day coach IMO. People talk about the Washington loss. Fine. They were pretty **** good though. We flew across the country and gave them all they could ask for. Ran it after that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Talent overcame corching.
I think it was that and also, I do think that Butch and his staff improved. Coker called better games after Washington. The system that Butch put together was hitting on all cylinders after Washington. Also, Huskies stadium is an historically tough place to play when they are hitting on all of their cylinders and they were that year. Washington was one of the best teams in the country that year and very tough at home.

I do think Butch blew games earlier in his career at UM that he shouldn't have, but the best thing he did (except for 97' which he gets a mulligan for because the scholly situation) is always improving by the end of the season. He always had the team playing pretty well at the end of the season.

For any objective observer of CFB in 2000', there was no doubt we had the best team by year's end and one could easily make the argument that the Cane team at the end of the 2000' season was the greatest team of all time and superior to the 2001' team. There aren't many areas you could look at on the 2000' team and say that 2001 was better, but you can definitely look at some units and say 2000 was superior by the end:
- 2000 has a better LB corps
- Secondary was a wash
- 2000 had a way better WR corp!
- ST's slight edge to 2000' because of Santana's return ability
- 2001 with a tiny edge at TE because Shockey was being used more, but you could also say this is a wash.
- 2001 with an edge at DE because of McDougall.
- 2000 with an edge at RB because of Jackson
- Romberg has stated in an interview that he believes the 2000 OL was hungrier and better than the 2001 OL.

Anyway, Butch built a crazy machine and without Saban's benefit of cheating money and a cheating apparatus. Butch has gone on the record saying he regrets leaving Miami and for a while, I was one of those who wanted him to return (the last best time to do it was when we hired Richt - it should've been Butch). If Butch and UM had worked it out, he could've collected as many NC's as Saban, In some alternate universe, Butch has 8 natty's and Saban has 2.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Butch’s biggest mistake was leaving the U. Guy would’ve won multiple national championships if he’d stayed. Our decline wouldn’t have begun until much later.
CFB itself would have been different if Butch had stayed. With him absorbing the BAMA-level athletes and making the Big East relevant, or at least entering the ACC and running that place like we were supposed to do, CFB would have been different and I would claim it would have been better.

Kind of reminds me of this video I saw about this forested area and how it was dying and then they re-introduced wolves and it re-vitalized the forest instead of these predators killing everything. There's a multiverse version where Butch stays and it's a MUCH better CFB world because the wolves are there to keep the balance.

Advertisement
Back