What are the hiring criteria?

Ethnicsands

All-American
Imagine you were hiring a HC for UM, for 2020. This situation. Now.

-What is the definition of success? What are the goals we expect a coach to achieve?
-What does it take to accomplish them?
-What resources do we have to work with? What do we need in place that we don’t have, and how will we get them?

Given all that, what are the hiring criteria? What really matters? What are the must haves Vs. ‘nice to haves.’ What are the real priorities? Experience, capbilities, personal traits, cultural fit...

Advertisement
Image result for funny job application

-What is the definition of success? What are the goals we expect a coach to achieve?
-What resources do we have to work with? What do we need in place that we don’t have, and how will we get them?

Given all that, what are the hiring criteria? What really matters? What are the must haves Vs. ‘nice to haves.’ What are the real priorities? Experience, capbilities, personal traits, cultural fit...
Is Mike Gundy available in 2020?
But seriously, it has to be a recognizable name that has a lot of respect. I would have taken Les Miles with some coordinators. We need to look professional, serious about our HC & staff. That doesnt mean we have to break the bank, but we do need to get our systems in place, offense, defense, special teams & recruiting and to do that it may take a little money, then we might be able to take chances on upstart assistants.

Is Mike Gundy available in 2020?
But seriously, it has to be a recognizable name that has a lot of respect. I would have taken Les Miles with some coordinators. We need to look professional, serious about our HC & staff. That doesnt mean we have to break the bank, but we do need to get our systems in place, offense, defense, special teams & recruiting and to do that it may take a little money, then we might be able to take chances on upstart assistants.
It’s not a money issue. We spend enough to hire competent staffs.

But I am skeptical that a good coach would want to step into this mess at this point.

Advertisement

But I am skeptical that a good coach would want to step into this mess at this point.
I think they would. Its unfortunate that Manny was hired w/o trying. Rumor is that Gundy wants out of OKSt, and while Les Miles was hired in November, you really think he wouldnt drop Kansas for Miami at the end of the season? ****, Mark Helfrich was down here looking for an OC job with Richt. I think there is interest, there will always be interest from certain coaches, unless somehow FAU or FIU pass us up.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be opposed to hire a hot coordinator from The NFL or a former coach looking to rebuild his name (see Pete Carroll, June Jones-his Hawaii career, and now Herman Edwards)

1. Someone from a blue blood coaching tree
2. Successful at more than one school, more than one coaching position
3. Does not have any connection to the University of Miami
4. Innovative with a track record of outperforming the level of talent at his position group
5. Recruiting ties to South Florida

Advertisement
I will go:

- It seems clear the institution thinks 9-3 is acceptable, and is confused/frustrated/irritated at/by fans who expect more. It seems equally clear that this situation has the potential to become toxic given the importance of football in so fla and the expectations of fans.
- If we want 9-3 we should hire a capable manager/evaluator without heroic expectations and support him with a solid staff. Candidates who fancy themselves rising stars are problematic if they don’t succeed.
- If we want to compete for the playoffs, we need a true program builder. Someone who can put together a great staff, who can EVALUATE talent really well and recruit really well and sell the program to kids, assistants and boosters. Someone who can put together an innovative, cutting edge team schematically, that matches our talent base and culture. Someone who is driven to win and won’t be okay with less than that.
- To be a 9-3 team, we need stability, patience and a well run program.
- To be 11-1, we need a coach who delivers on the things I noted. We also need to figure out how to compete with $EC bags.
- Our only asset is local talent proximity, and it is starting to work against us as the program is coming to be known as a joke.

So what matters? If we want to compete nationally, it’s....
- NOT UM connections
- NOT ‘ceo type’
- NOT looks the part

It’s:
- Experience: Must have had proven head coaching success, building (ideally) or running a legit program for long enough to assess
- Capabilities: Schematic innovator on one side of the ball (not someone wed to UM’s past); can bring together a talented staff, can be a very good evaluator of talent
- Personal Traits: leader, driven, ambitious, disciplined, energetic, can sell his vision and the program to all constituencies; hands on, not a delegator, not on downside of career, not looking to retire
- Cultural fit: must get and embrace the type of athletes and football our recruiting base represents, and the brashness of so fla. JJ got this, and he came from Oklahoma State.

If you've paid any attention, you know there's only one thing we look for:

Anybody that will take the job.

That's it.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be opposed to hire a hot coordinator from The NFL or a former coach looking to rebuild his name (see Pete Carroll, June Jones-his Hawaii career, and now Herman Edwards)
I disagree. We are well past the point where we can take a flier on someone without proven HC ability, imo. This is not a place to learn on the job at.

NFL coaches today arent good analogies because their organizations do most of what cfb coaches have to do, run by other people (GM, President, player personnel, etc.).

just because some of these types work out doesnt mean this is a risk we should take today.

I will go:

- It seems clear the institution thinks 9-3 is acceptable, and is confused/frustrated/irritated at/by fans who expect more. It seems equally clear that this situation has the potential to become toxic given the importance of football in so fla and the expectations of fans.
- If we want 9-3 we should hire a capable manager/evaluator without heroic expectations and support him with a solid staff. Candidates who fancy themselves rising stars are problematic if they don’t succeed.
- If we want to compete for the playoffs, we need a true program builder. Someone who can put together a great staff, who can EVALUATE talent really well and recruit really well and sell the program to kids, assistants and boosters. Someone who can put together an innovative, cutting edge team schematically, that matches our talent base and culture. Someone who is driven to win and won’t be okay with less than that.
- To be a 9-3 team, we need stability, patience and a well run program.
- To be 11-1, we need a coach who delivers on the things I noted. We also need to figure out how to compete with $EC bags.
- Our only asset is local talent proximity, and it is starting to work against us as the program is coming to be known as a joke.

So what matters? If we want to compete nationally, it’s....
- NOT UM connections
- NOT ‘ceo type’
- NOT looks the part

It’s:
- Experience: Must have had proven head coaching success, building (ideally) or running a legit program for long enough to assess
- Capabilities: Schematic innovator on one side of the ball (not someone wed to UM’s past); can bring together a talented staff, can be a very good evaluator of talent
- Personal Traits: leader, driven, ambitious, disciplined, energetic, can sell his vision and the program to all constituencies; hands on, not a delegator, not on downside of career, not looking to retire
- Cultural fit: must get and embrace the type of athletes and football our recruiting base represents, and the brashness of so fla. JJ got this, and he came from Oklahoma State.
Disagree on the non-CEO type. He can be a CEO if he's still super competitive and demands excellence from his coaches & players. I think the problem with that coach is he will eventually figure out that Miami admin is not as serious as he is, and then he will bail. Which means Miami will scramble and hire his DC for continuity.

Advertisement
A minority.
Someone who isn't mean.
Must have no ego or confidence.
A gentle handshake.
No experience as a head coach preferred.
Advocate for female rights.
Loves a good prop.
Limited contacts in the coaching community.
Member of PETA.
Refuses to assume gender of players.
Has a hilariously high buyout at a bad school.

Disagree on the non-CEO type. He can be a CEO if he's still super competitive and demands excellence from his coaches & players. I think the problem with that coach is he will eventually figure out that Miami admin is not as serious as he is, and then he will bail. Which means Miami will scramble and hire his DC for continuity.
I disagree completely. We need a builder/fixer, not a ‘manager.’ I am not sure the ‘ceo’ theory ever makes sense - Saban and Meyer were a lot more in the weeds on ST and recruiting than Richt was - but I am reasonably sure that whatever a ‘ceo type’ is, he’s not someone to drop into a triage tent with rapidly cooling bodies.

I disagree. We are well past the point where we can take a flier on someone without proven HC ability, imo. This is not a place to learn on the job at.

NFL coaches today arent good analogies because their organizations do most of what cfb coaches have to do, run by other people (GM, President, player personnel, etc.).

just because some of these types work out doesnt mean this is a risk we should take today.

I live in reality; based upon where we are, either this or an upcoming coach from a G5 or a guy like PJ Fleck are going to be our options. We can talk Meyers, Patterson, or the Gundys of the world, but those are not realistic options at this point.

Advertisement
I live in reality; based upon where we are, either this or an upcoming coach from a G5 or a guy like PJ Fleck are going to be our options. We can talk Meyers, Patterson, or the Gundys of the world, but those are not realistic options at this point.
Dont get me wrong. I am not pitching delusion. The question was criteria. I can get my head around someone who has run a mid-tier program solidly, provided the other criteria are met.

I disagree completely. We need a builder/fixer, not a ‘manager.’ I am not sure the ‘ceo’ theory ever makes sense - Saban and Meyer were a lot more in the weeds on ST and recruiting than Richt was - but I am reasonably sure that whatever a ‘ceo type’ is, he’s not someone to drop into a triage tent with rapidly cooling bodies.
I think Dabo is the CEO type though. Went out and hired Morris and Venables. It works there, but I'll admit, I'm hard pressed to think of many very successful Dabos.

I think Dabo is the CEO type though. Went out and hired Morris and Venables. It works there, but I'll admit, I'm hard pressed to think of many very successful Dabos.
Dabo may be. Brings to mind the old expression ‘you can’t get there from here.’ And they basically stumbled into him.

We need our Mike Gundy though, because consistent 9 & 10 win seasons here can start the train rolling, especially if he's got that Spurrier/Jimmy ball coach charm in recruiting. The defense gets stacked fast at Miami, so do the skill positions on offense.

Advertisement
Back