What are Herman and Fuente

Herman has 10 wins in his first season. Has Golden ever won 10 games?

Fuente has a 10 win season, a conference title, and a bowl win. Does Golden have any of that?

Got anymore brain busters OP?

Golden won 9 games at a program that was 1-11 three years earlier. Herman is winning 10 games at a program that went 13-1 three years earlier. Herman isn't exactly resurrecting North Texas.

Houston lost five last year. What does three years ago matter?

It shows that the Houston program has been churning along pretty well for a while. Herman isn't coaching at Wyoming.
If he had lost a couple games you would have a point. He took over an 8-5 team and is currently undefeated. Any way you slice it, that's impressive.

As for Hoke, look at how many years it took him to turn things around. By year 4 or 5 he finally broke double digit wins. Very similar to what golden did. There's no comparison. As for Fuente, he won 10 last year and is on his way to 9 or 10 this year.

Both are solid coaches. You guys keep trying to knock other options down but there's no sure thing. Even Butch brings in a lot of risks

When I put everything into a vaccum, mind u, I've been really going back and forth on this, what Fuente is doing at Memphis is way more impressive than what Herman is doing at Houston.

A couple of years back, Houston was trying to disrupt the BCS. They went 13-1 w Chase Keenum at the helm. Houston has been a problem in the AAC for a couple of years now. Memphis? Man, I didn't even know Memphis had a squad. Fuentes got them all the way to #13th in the nation...pretty impressive.

With that being said, let's put things back into perspective....Herman and Fuentes are good coaches, now, in the AAC conference; undoubtedly a soft shouldered conference. Usually, there's some "discomfort" when a coach comes from a mid major and wind up coming to a P5 conference. Usually, it's better for a mid major coach to go to a lower tiered P5 school and see how they do there, first.

That's my concern w Fuentes. I see him more of a Brady Hoke type on the next level. He'll score some points, but he'll fa sho, give up some. Herman feels more Jimmy Mac to me. Jim coached at CSU, but he came from a good coaching stock in Nick Saban. Got 2 rings as the OC there. Even though he came from a mid-major, he had experience calling plays on big boy level football. Herman is in the same boat. Yes he's new as a head guy, but he had autonomy over calling offensive plays in big boy football and comes from good coaching stock in Meyers.

When u look it at like that, he's much less of a risk then Fuentes. Strong came from Muschamp...Hoke, came from FCS stock, Golden came from Al Groh, and although Fuentes comes from Gary Patterson, he was only the QB/Co-OC (sounds a lot like James Coley position at FSU where Jimbo was really the one calling the shots)

See, usually there's a pattern to a mid major coach making great strides to a P5 team...usually they've been at the highest level, comes from a good coaching stock, and had autonomy in running a unit. Herman fits that bill.

I love Butch w all my heart, and I want him to be here; however, we truly must do our due diligence in looking into Herman. Our eggs should be in one of two baskets only, Davis and Herman.

Although my gut tells me Davis is the guy just b/c of all the smoke then cover ups (see Golden's firing as reference), we HAVE to vet the interest level from Herman. I think he would murder it here.

Advertisement
Herman is probably going to finish undefeated at Houston. previously at Ohio St as an OC he was 38-3 over 3 years. what more do people want.

Herman is probably going to finish undefeated at Houston. previously at Ohio St as an OC he was 38-3 over 3 years. what more do people want.

For his name to be Butch Davis. People are going full ******. This is the group think that landed us Clappy and Shannon. There are plenty of great candidates out there. Butch is one of them, but he's not the only one.

I agree Herman's HC sample size increases the risk.
But as Franchise put it he can potentially have the biggest upside. His carrer path would certainly suggest that. (Before someone brings up Golden's career path remember a Golden was never a cordinator at a major program)
It would be a ballsy hire.

False. Golden was DC at UVa, 2001-2005.

Meant top tier team.
But if you consider UVA a top tier team that's your business.

But as Franchise put it he can potentially have the biggest upside. His carrer path would certainly suggest that. (Before someone brings up Golden's career path remember a Golden was never a cordinator at a major program)

Meant top tier team.

So only dudes who have been coordinators at OSU, bama, lsu, etc...count? Ok then.

Advertisement

Meant top tier team.

So only dudes who have been coordinators at OSU, bama, lsu, etc...count? Ok then.

No not at all.
Only if contrasting Hermans career to Golden's before getting hired to their first big job.
Carry on.

what makes people so sure herman will leave, he's from the texas area but a couple of things to consider.
1. Houston is trying to get into the BIG 12
2. OIL & GAS Companies =$$$$$ they have the money to pay Herman a lot of $$$$$

what makes people so sure herman will leave, he's from the texas area but a couple of things to consider.

Herman is from Ohio and grew up in southern California.

Advertisement

I should of been more specific, i meant school wise, his alma mater is Sam Houston State, his coaching career is Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1998 Texas Lutheran (WR)
1999–2000 Texas (GA)
2001–2004 Sam Houston State (WR/ST)
2005–2006 Texas State (OC/QB)
2007–2008 Rice (OC/QB)
2009–2011 Iowa State (OC/QB)
2012–2014 Ohio State (OC/QB)
2015–present Houston

a lot of texas there

I should of been more specific, i meant school wise, his alma mater is Sam Houston State, his coaching career is Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1998 Texas Lutheran (WR)
1999–2000 Texas (GA)
2001–2004 Sam Houston State (WR/ST)
2005–2006 Texas State (OC/QB)
2007–2008 Rice (OC/QB)
2009–2011 Iowa State (OC/QB)
2012–2014 Ohio State (OC/QB)
2015–present Houston

a lot of texas there

Don't take everything on Wikipedia as fact. Herman's alma mater is Cal Lutheran. He has a master's from U of Texas.

For me it's not just about wins and losses or which guy has accomplished more at their school. I want Herman because of his attitude. The absolute peak of the program was during the Jimmy and Dennis years. Jimmy and Dennis were aggressive coaches. They wanted to kick your ***. We haven't had an aggressive, kick your *** coach here in 20 years now. Butch...conservative. Coker....conservative. Shannon....conservative. Golden....frighteningly conservative. No more nice guy, conservative coaches. It's time for us to hire an aggressive minded coach. I think a coach like that will really resonate with our recruiting base.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back