What a good recruiting class looks like

Advertisement
Advertisement
Bama '17 class

but note - from ‘02 - ‘05, UM sent to the pros Mckinnie, Reed, Shockey, Portis, Buchanan, Andre J, McGahee, Dorsey, McDougle, ST, KWII, Vilma, Wilfork, Rolle, Gore, C. Myers.

Go to ‘01, add Dan Morgan and Reggie Wayne. Go to ‘06, add Hester.

We don’t need to ogle their talent. We need to get serious about competing with them.

Advertisement
but note - from ‘02 - ‘05, UM sent to the pros Mckinnie, Reed, Shockey, Portis, Buchanan, Andre J, McGahee, Dorsey, McDougle, ST, KWII, Vilma, Wilfork, Rolle, Gore, C. Myers.

We don’t need to ogle their talent. We need to get serious about competing with them.
yes. we've all seen the 50% blue chip ratio by now about minimum talent levels to compete.

Would be good to see some sort of bust ratio analysis too. When you can't recruit at a top 3 level you simply can't afford to have guys like Hall, Pope, Hightower, Ivey, Lingard etc just be jags

The dates you're referencing are 15 years ago. Recruiting was different. Less camps. Less tape out there for everyone to see. Social media wasn't a thing. More hidden gems.

Not saying it can't happen again because there are great 3-star kids every year. It's just a much different time. You have to hit on your elite recruits and then you have to develop those lesser ranked kids with potential and supplement with smart, hard working, tough kids who push others and are leaders. That takes COACHING......coaching takes money and a commitment from the school. You aren't going to win with a mickey mouse staff.

Advertisement
yes. we've all seen the 50% blue chip ratio by now about minimum talent levels to compete.

Would be good to see some sort of bust ratio analysis too. When you can't recruit at a top 3 level you simply can't afford to have guys like Hall, Pope, Hightower, Ivey, Lingard etc just be jags
it’s that but more - busts are about the bottom half of your roster. we not only stack them, but without depth we play guys who aren’t ready, guys who are decent go pro early, and we haven’t even filled the roster properly most of the past decade. So on true roster strength, we’re not in the fame, which i’ve been saying for ages here. 2 marginal nfl kids a year don’t make a difference and are a distraction. our roster from 10-50 isn’t close to the top teams.

The dates you're referencing are 15 years ago. Recruiting was different. Less camps. Less tape out there for everyone to see. Social media wasn't a thing. More hidden gems.

Not saying it can't happen again because there are great 3-star kids every year. It's just a much different time. You have to hit on your elite recruits and then you have to develop those lesser ranked kids with potential and supplement with smart, hard working, tough kids who push others and are leaders. That takes COACHING......coaching takes money and a commitment from the school. You aren't going to win with a mickey mouse staff.
i say Bs. what evidence do we have it can’t happen again? Miami hasn’t even tried. We’ve hired the three stooges as head coach and supported them with amateurs compared to what other programs do. We have jack isht for infrastructure compared to other programs. We don’t need to spend like alabama because the talent is local. But we do need to get serious about football. if we do, i think we can get back to an elite level. Maybe not hall of famers every year, but alabama doesn’t do that either.

Advertisement
wrong. wow.
Evaluate a 5-star. 7 of them.
And 3 high 4-star guys.
Think about that.

I'm looking the bottom 18 and I see Mac Jones.

No one can dispute that they recruit.

I hope our coaches were right in their evaluation of Williams and Taylor.

Evaluate a 5-star. 7 of them.
And 3 high 4-star guys.
Think about that.

I'm looking the bottom 18 and I see Mac Jones.

No one can dispute that they recruit.

I hope our coaches were right in their evaluation of Williams and Taylor.
it’s a myth that all 5 stars pan out of fit your culture or scheme. We’ve gotten highly rated kids over the past 15 years and consistently missed on our evals. you say what you say about our recent 5*s but we weren’t right on lingard or pope in ‘18. a quick check of rivals shows reggie youngblood, craog
cooper, arthur brown, marcus forston, eay ray anderson, seantrel, tracy howard and chad thomas as 5*s. you think we evaluated them at an alabama rate of success?

It’s actually a LOT harder than people realize to evaluate at alabama because they can pick anyone ... so more choices and they get it right very impressively, imo.

the high ratings are a distraction. they’re still picking well.

as i’ve been telling folks, their evals are top notch
It's more than just eval's. When you have ALABAMA erecting Billboards in the middle of our recruiting grounds and playing in National Championships it makes it hard for a 5 star recruit to choose Miami over BAMA.

It's more than just eval's. When you have ALABAMA erecting Billboards in the middle of our recruiting grounds and playing in National Championships it makes it hard for a 5 star recruit to choose Miami over BAMA.
that’s whining. sorry. i’m simply stating that they’re good at evals. they’re not the only school raiding so fla.

Advertisement
Back