Westley Neal Update

Advertisement
I remember when we didn't take Todd Chandler because of height issues. He looked better than anyone we fielded at DT when we played South Florida in 2013, including Olsen Pierre, who was the only decent tackle we had on roster that season.

I'll take a flyer on a kid like Neal any day. Neal has a strong first step and is deceptively quick in the backfield. His low center of gravity gives OL a lot of trouble keeping him in front of them. Needs to learn how to tackle with more force. But he's a quality DT.

Thats cool and all but theres a limit of how many guys you can take. We need 4 linebackers and 5 O linemen as well as some DB help and 3-4 receivers. No need to take 4 D tackles when you have taken 5 between the last 2 classes and have less depth in many other places
Yes I know Cuban-Cane. But what happens eeevery year?

First, we chase whales.

then we miss on the good locals.

We continue to chase whales.

Then we offer and get some second tier locals.

Multiple very good offers aren’t committable.

We miss out on remaining whales.

We get some decommits.

We give last minute attention to the non commitables.

We miss out on non-committables because we were late cuz we held spots for “silents” and “feel Good abouts” and “dream offers”.

We’re left with much less than we should have.

Repeat.

Sooooooooooooo, now we’re taking the kids that commit when they commit. So we aren’t late on kids we should get easily.

And we can STILL chase whales while spots are filled.

And we actually end up with Miami talent across the board.

Like every other component school.

Amazing, eh?

Advertisement
Yes I know Cuban-Cane. But what happens eeevery year?

First, we chase whales.

then we miss on the good locals.

Then we offer and get some second tier locals.

Multiple very good offers aren’t committable.

We miss out on remaining whales.

We get some decommits.

We give last minute attention to the non commitables.

We miss out on non-committables because we were late cuz we held spots for “silents” and “feel Good abouts” and “dream offers”.

We’re left with much less than we should have.

Repeat.

Sooooooooooooo, now we’re taking the kids that commit when they commit. So we aren’t late on kids we should get easily.

And we can STILL chase whales while spots are filled.

And we actually end up with Miami talent across the board.

Like every other component school.

Amazing, eh?
Hit the nail on the head. You take advantage of a year with good DT prospects in South FL and load up. You take Neal & Riggins. People here wanting to drop Riggins because he was injured and didn't camp. Why don't we drop Mammarelli while we're at it? Riggins was a top 15 player in the state when he committed just like Mammarelli. These guys are extremely talented. They've dropped in recruiting rankings because they didn't play flag football people. That ain't gonna mean **** when they are wearing orange and green.

Hit the nail on the head. You take advantage of a year with good DT prospects in South FL and load up. You take Neal & Riggins. People here wanting to drop Riggins because he was injured and didn't camp. Why don't we drop Mammarelli while we're at it? Riggins was a top 15 player in the state when he committed just like Mammarelli. These guys are extremely talented. They've dropped in recruiting rankings because they didn't play flag football people. That ain't gonna mean **** when they are wearing orange and green.

Mammarelli has the size to play his position and the tape. Riggins does not.

Advertisement
I remember when we didn't take Todd Chandler because of height issues. He looked better than anyone we fielded at DT when we played South Florida in 2013, including Olsen Pierre, who was the only decent tackle we had on roster that season.

I'll take a flyer on a kid like Neal any day. Neal has a strong first step and is deceptively quick in the backfield. His low center of gravity gives OL a lot of trouble keeping him in front of them. Needs to learn how to tackle with more force. But he's a quality DT.
Todd Chandler had one decent season. I prefer using Aaron Donald example.

Thats cool and all but theres a limit of how many guys you can take. We need 4 linebackers and 5 O linemen as well as some DB help and 3-4 receivers. No need to take 4 D tackles when you have taken 5 between the last 2 classes and have less depth in many other places
Still feel that way after todays decommit? Imagine thinking your class is done at 4 DEs then in November were scrambling after the best one leaves. Or thinking that we are full and not taking more. The day to drop players or turn players away is much later in the process not now. 8 months to go.

Advertisement
Looks like Roberts commitment took Westley Neal's spot as 3rd DT/DE for the 2020 class. An with DE Donnell Harris out there as a possibility UM will keep a spot open as long as possible. So Westley Neal may have to wait until late into the recruiting cycle an possibly even be a signing day flip.

So unless one of the other two 2020 DT'S drops out Neal's ship may have sailed without him unfortunately. There is always the possibility of some roster management movement in the future. Go Canes

I LOVE NEAL in this class. Kid WANTS to be a Cane. I'd bring him in and work the numbers later.

An extra TE isnt a Need, if i can grab him. Need 3 lbs. Maybe 3 DE's, 4dbs.

2020 DT/NT Westley Neal vs 2020 TE Darnell Washington who you got with 1 spot left Miami's 2020 recruiting class?

Go Canes

Advertisement
2020 DT/NT Westley Neal vs 2020 TE Darnell Washington who you got with 1 spot left Miami's 2020 recruiting class?

Go Canes

You take Neal today and continue recruiting Darnell Washington, Flowe, Hyppolite, Williams, Walker, and every other pipe dream. And then if by some miracle you get Washington you look at ever recruit and figure out which one you can drop to get Washington on the team. I want guys like Restrepo and Neal on this team personally - they have a place.

Neal is a three star weight room junkie, who loves Miami and has been trying to get on the team forever. His floor in my opinion is a backup NT as a freshman on a 3-4 team or in the rotation on a team like Miami. Yes he isn't a perfect scheme fit but it would be nice to have him in the rotation at DT for 3-4 years and have a guy that when we play big boy football teams he can punch the offensive linemen in the mouth not get his *** ridden to the ground and pancaked.

Fans love to scream about taking the local guys who want to be canes - right up until that local kid doesn't have 4 stars beside his name. Neal will start many games in college football and should be a take today. The coaches can figure things out later when some 5 star or 4 star comes knocking or another player decommits.

Looks like Roberts commitment took Westley Neal's spot as 3rd DT/DE for the 2020 class. An with DE Donnell Harris out there as a possibility UM will keep a spot open as long as possible. So Westley Neal may have to wait until late into the recruiting cycle an possibly even be a signing day flip.

So unless one of the other two 2020 DT'S drops out Neal's ship may have sailed without him unfortunately. There is always the possibility of some roster management movement in the future. Go Canes

So you're saying our staff is still clueless and can't take a hint. Go get Neal now, and use Roberts like you did with Bethel.

Advertisement
Back