We're about to get better

Advertisement
The defense was hurt more by runs last year so the emphasis is being put on stopping the run. After listening to their comments, I think Manny and Blake are on the same page but our D is being asked to do different things.

Take Garvin for example, posters think he’s been lacking but according to coaches he’s been lights out, doing exactly what’s he’s supposed to do and is our best DL. Now missed tackles, youth and player execution in general is another matter altogether.

Don’t know how many TFLs we have but I doubt it’s anywhere near the production from past few seasons. Through 3 games we have 7 sacks total.

I think the numbers will go down for multiple reasons:
TOP leans to Miami in 2019 while 2018 it was leaning to opponents. More snaps=more opportunities for TFL/Sacks.
2018's DBs and DL were better. DBs forced QBs to hold the ball longer, the DL was getting free faster.

In order of importance.
Finley
Nesta
Bolden
Pope
Lingard
Steed
Jennings

If we're talking about potential impact kids that haven't been ready or able to step up yet, my order:
  1. Baxa: no explanation necessary
  2. The OL as a unit: too many times 3 or 4 are firing, and one misfires, even with Bethune
  3. Hill: need more sacks
  4. Bolden: need more sideline-to-sideline coverage
  5. Ivey: need the speed/size combo to balance Bandy
And will the Greentree All American Will Mallory show up in a game, please?

Advertisement
Lorenzo Lingard is a 5-star player. If he makes zero impact in his entire year 2 season, that's incredibly concerning.

Depends why.

Zero impact because he's hurt? Yes, that's very disappointing, unfortunate, and frustrating, but not necessarily "concerning."

Zero impact because he can't play as well or better than the multiple guys ahead of him? Well, agreed, that's concerning.

If we're talking about potential impact kids that haven't been ready or able to step up yet, my order:
  2. The OL as a unit: too many times 3 or 4 are firing, and one misfires, even with Bethune

Agree. My list was of potential impact kids that haven't played or are hurt now.

As for reaching their potential:
1. Baxa
2. Donaldson is the big WTH, the others are all green or playing well.
3. 2018 WR class- MIA
4. DL- we are missing the disruptive DT. Bethel, Ford, and Miller have flashed some but aren't consistent. Hill, Garvin, Patch haven't produce nearly as much pressure as Joe Jackson, Thomas, Garvin.
5. DBs - some flashes but too many mistakes.
6. Mallory is all-world talent and stone hands.

I know there's been a lot of injury discussion around here the past few days, but it shouldn't be understated that we *SHOULD* get a lot better, deeper, and more talented by the time the meat of the season gets here (aka UVA, GT, @ Pitt, @ FSU, Louisville on 5 consecutive weeks).

The player I'm most excited about is Silvera......if he's fully healthy and in shape by UVA, that's a **** of a shot in the arm and makes the defensive line much more dangerous and deeper. I expect that kid to immediately become the 2nd or 3rd best DT on the team, at worst. A rotation of Ford, Bethel, Chigoze, and him along with Miller spelling and they've been putting the edge kids inside on obvious passing downs....that's nothing to sneeze at.

Bolden's interjection into the secondary is much needed, and he shouldn't need much time to get fully up to speed. Him, Hall, Carter, Knowles, and Smith is formidable. His presence will only make that bunch deeper and more athletic.

Lingard will hopefully make his debut soon. The backs have been fine, but I love the idea of that kid at 100.0% energy level coming in for 5-ish carries a game where he can just explode and run angry. And IMO he should be on every special team....covering kicks especially.

Jennings and Joyner, if they can come back soon, would really boost the LB corps as well. We've been almost exclusively running 2 backers so far this year, and McCloud has barely played, so I doubt either of these kids will make a huge impact immediately. But it would provide quality depth and again help on special teams.

Not a lot of teams get injected with starter quality athleticism with 5 different kids in the middle of their year. These kids can really make this football team considerably better in the very near future.

EDIT: Originally wrote "Jennings and Bradley", who are the same **** kid, because I'm a ****head. Meant Jennings and Joyner, obviously. Edited it correctly now.
It is vital that Baker does not Corch their skill set out of them. It is known to happen.

Advertisement
Depends why.

Zero impact because he's hurt? Yes, that's very disappointing, unfortunate, and frustrating, but not necessarily "concerning."

Zero impact because he can't play as well or better than the multiple guys ahead of him? Well, agreed, that's concerning.

If you can't stay healthy, it's very concerning. The best ability is availability. If the kid washes out 2 seasons because he can't stay on the field, yes, I'm concerned. This isn't the NFL. He's only here for 4 years at most. When you sign a 5-star kid, you expect significant results. Halfway through his career if he can't even stay healthy enough to dress out for games, that's called a bust.

I know there's been a lot of injury discussion around here the past few days, but it shouldn't be understated that we *SHOULD* get a lot better, deeper, and more talented by the time the meat of the season gets here (aka UVA, GT, @ Pitt, @ FSU, Louisville on 5 consecutive weeks).

The player I'm most excited about is Silvera......if he's fully healthy and in shape by UVA, that's a **** of a shot in the arm and makes the defensive line much more dangerous and deeper. I expect that kid to immediately become the 2nd or 3rd best DT on the team, at worst. A rotation of Ford, Bethel, Chigoze, and him along with Miller spelling and they've been putting the edge kids inside on obvious passing downs....that's nothing to sneeze at.

Bolden's interjection into the secondary is much needed, and he shouldn't need much time to get fully up to speed. Him, Hall, Carter, Knowles, and Smith is formidable. His presence will only make that bunch deeper and more athletic.

Lingard will hopefully make his debut soon. The backs have been fine, but I love the idea of that kid at 100.0% energy level coming in for 5-ish carries a game where he can just explode and run angry. And IMO he should be on every special team....covering kicks especially.

Jennings and Joyner, if they can come back soon, would really boost the LB corps as well. We've been almost exclusively running 2 backers so far this year, and McCloud has barely played, so I doubt either of these kids will make a huge impact immediately. But it would provide quality depth and again help on special teams.

Not a lot of teams get injected with starter quality athleticism with 5 different kids in the middle of their year. These kids can really make this football team considerably better in the very near future.

EDIT: Originally wrote "Jennings and Bradley", who are the same **** kid, because I'm a ****head. Meant Jennings and Joyner, obviously. Edited it correctly now.

Be very CAREFUL what U opine in the CI forum, OBM! Because you'll surely be LABELED a " no-nothing " HERETIC of the Orange and Green degree. For such POSITIVE attitudes, opinions and believe's. Sure nough'!:rolleyes:

I think Hill could have benefitted from an entire offseason with Feeley. He doesn't look as lean and explosive as in his VT film

Lingard needs to play soon against our lesser contestants to build his confidence. Throwing him to the dogs against quality opponents could damage his confidence.

Advertisement

Larry Hughes MAY get more playing time as the season progresses.

Lingard needs to play soon against our lesser contestants to build his confidence. Throwing him to the dogs against quality opponents could damage his confidence.

Lmao what quality opponents?? Lorenzo Lingard is ready to play any team on our soft *** schedule

Advertisement
I think the numbers will go down for multiple reasons:
TOP leans to Miami in 2019 while 2018 it was leaning to opponents. More snaps=more opportunities for TFL/Sacks.
2018's DBs and DL were better. DBs forced QBs to hold the ball longer, the DL was getting free faster.

It didn't lean towards our opponents last year. We got crushed in TOP. Out of 10 games against P5 teams, we won TOP three times. Including a couple of close ones. Somehow, we beat UNC 47-10 and still lost that battle by 6 minutes.

This year, we're 2 for 2, and it hasn't been close. Of course, we lost both of those, so . . . .

Bolden is super important to this team. With Manny's defense good safety play is crucial and that's why our defense hasn't played like they were last year.

My question is are they going to give Bubba an opportunity to get in the rotation? I kinda feel like Banda is gonna ride with Gurvan, Amari and -20 because “ they know the defense” I’m not talking 5 snaps. Banda is always going with the “ safe” move. I hope I’m wrong

Advertisement
Back