We're about to get better

I know there's been a lot of injury discussion around here the past few days, but it shouldn't be understated that we *SHOULD* get a lot better, deeper, and more talented by the time the meat of the season gets here (aka UVA, GT, @ Pitt, @ FSU, Louisville on 5 consecutive weeks).

The player I'm most excited about is Silvera......if he's fully healthy and in shape by UVA, that's a **** of a shot in the arm and makes the defensive line much more dangerous and deeper. I expect that kid to immediately become the 2nd or 3rd best DT on the team, at worst. A rotation of Ford, Bethel, Chigoze, and him along with Miller spelling and they've been putting the edge kids inside on obvious passing downs....that's nothing to sneeze at.

Bolden's interjection into the secondary is much needed, and he shouldn't need much time to get fully up to speed. Him, Hall, Carter, Knowles, and Smith is formidable. His presence will only make that bunch deeper and more athletic.

Lingard will hopefully make his debut soon. The backs have been fine, but I love the idea of that kid at 100.0% energy level coming in for 5-ish carries a game where he can just explode and run angry. And IMO he should be on every special team....covering kicks especially.

Jennings and Joyner, if they can come back soon, would really boost the LB corps as well. We've been almost exclusively running 2 backers so far this year, and McCloud has barely played, so I doubt either of these kids will make a huge impact immediately. But it would provide quality depth and again help on special teams.

Not a lot of teams get injected with starter quality athleticism with 5 different kids in the middle of their year. These kids can really make this football team considerably better in the very near future.

EDIT: Originally wrote "Jennings and Bradley", who are the same **** kid, because I'm a ****head. Meant Jennings and Joyner, obviously. Edited it correctly now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know there's been a lot of injury discussion around here the past few days, but it shouldn't be understated that we *SHOULD* get a lot better, deeper, and more talented by the time the meat of the season gets here (aka UVA, GT, @ Pitt, @ FSU, Louisville on 5 consecutive weeks).

The player I'm most excited about is Silvera......if he's fully healthy and in shape by UVA, that's a **** of a shot in the arm and makes the defensive line much more dangerous and deeper. I expect that kid to immediately become the 2nd or 3rd best DT on the team, at worst. A rotation of Ford, Bethel, Chigoze, and him along with Miller spelling and they've been putting the edge kids inside on obvious passing downs....that's nothing to sneeze at.

Bolden's interjection into the secondary is much needed, and he shouldn't need much time to get fully up to speed. Him, Hall, Carter, Knowles, and Smith is formidable. His presence will only make that bunch deeper and more athletic.

Lingard will hopefully make his debut soon. The backs have been fine, but I love the idea of that kid at 100.0% energy level coming in for 5-ish carries a game where he can just explode and run angry. And IMO he should be on every special team....covering kicks especially.

Jennings and Bradley, if they can come back soon, would really boost the LB corps as well. We've been almost exclusively running 2 backers so far this year, and McCloud has barely played, so I doubt either of these kids will make a huge impact immediately. But it would provide quality depth and again help on special teams.

Not a lot of teams get injected with starter quality athleticism with 5 different kids in the middle of their year. These kids can really make this football team considerably better in the very near future.
The guy I'm most excited to see more of--not named Jarren Williams--is Mike Harley. I'll be honest, I am a little surprised by his performance. Last year he was alright. Never really got his rhythm (although nobody did under Richts 3 season) and had up and down games. Year-Two Harley is proving to be a great weapon for the offense.

The team needs some confidence and a couple Ws to get them going. They also need the next few games to continue to develop.

Taking care of Central Michigan this weekend and hopefully handling Va Tech will give us some momentum going into the Friday night UVA game on Oct 11th.

By then, if we can get guys back like Nesta, Bolden, Lingard, etc., stay healthy, and the OL starts to gel more, the UVA game at the Rock at night could be a huge turning point for the season

Advertisement
Bolden and Silvera yes. Doubt the other three make much of an impact in important games this year.

Need to hope Finley and Pope are 100% for the VTech/Virginia stretch. Those two games will define the season and we need to win them both.

Lorenzo Lingard is a 5-star player. If he makes zero impact in his entire year 2 season, that's incredibly concerning.

The guy I'm most excited to see more of--not named Jarren Williams--is Mike Harley. I'll be honest, I am a little surprised by his performance. Last year he was alright. Never really got his rhythm (although nobody did under Richts 3 season) and had up and down games. Year-Two Harley is proving to be a great weapon for the offense.
I agree! when he turned the corner the other night, I was like WOW! He has some speed!

Advertisement
Is it me or is Jordan Miller having a great season? Every time I notice a DT bulldozing his way to the backfield it's #91. Give me the space eater Jordan Miller and the shedding blocks freak Nesta and we've got a very formidable duo at DT.

An angry/fresh Silvera, Ford, Chigoze, Miller, and Bethel. If we can't control the interior of the LOS with those 5 kids rotating through and staying fresh, we've got big problems.

Is it me or is Jordan Miller having a great season? Every time I notice a DT bulldozing his way to the backfield it's #91. Give me the space eater Jordan Miller and the shedding blocks freak Nesta and we've got a very formidable duo at DT.
Remember that time when people trashed Miller because he was an Al Golden type 2 star special? He's like a **** wrecking ball, and will only get better.

Advertisement
An angry/fresh Silvera, Ford, Chigoze, Miller, and Bethel. If we can't control the interior of the LOS with those 5 kids rotating through and staying fresh, we've got big problems.
Well if Blake continues to try and break the record for most amount of stunts in a game it ain't gonna happen. You've got the studs Blake, no need for LATECH tactics here...

Advertisement
Don’t know how many TFLs we have but I doubt it’s anywhere near the production from past few seasons. Through 3 games we have 7 sacks total.

24 TFLs so far. 8 per game, 20th in the country.

This time last year we had 35.

But the gator, UNC, Bethune > LSU, Savannah St, Toledo

Advertisement
Back