Premium
Eric Konkol ‏@CoachKonkol 3m
#WelcomeToTheU

Oh snap

Who it be, who it be

Last edited:
Advertisement
Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 6m

Former UCF commit Anthony Lawrence - a 2015 SF from Lakewood (FL) - has verbally committed to his father’s alma mater, Miami.

Three-star but allegedly blowing up, had offers from Clemson, Texas A&M, USC and others. Dad played at Miami in the early 1990s.

Advertisement
164.jpg

Advertisement
I remember his dad....I'm old. His uncle played for UM too then. If Anthony Lawrence is his dad, Pat Lawrence is his uncle, since that was Anthony's brother. Both played for UM when we went 0-18 in the Big East.

Solid commit. He's got some nice range on his 3 point shot, solid athleticism, got some blocked shots but I don't know how good of an actual basketball player he is, his highlight video seemed more like a video trying to get on an and1 team than for colleges. He does a ton of time admiring his play on the basketball court (every 3, every dunk). I trust Coach L. This kid reminds me of a mix between Palmer and Reed but with less of a hard nosed, competitive attitude.

A little more about him...

Anthony Lawrence has committed to the University of Miami.

The 6-foot-6 class of 2015 wing forward from Lakewood (Fla.) announced that he had chosen the Hurricanes on Twitter Monday afternoon.

“I grew up a Cane, I was holding back a bit because of my dad,” Lawrence told SNY.tv. “I just came out and said that I was going to chose Miami.”

Lawrence’s father, Anthony Sr. played at the University of Miami in college, and went on to play professional basketball overseas.

Anthony Jr. says that the coaching staff was what convinced him to go to commit to the Hurricanes.

“Coach Larranega was really what made me commit,” Lawrence said. “I really like him as a coach. He said they’re going to let me play right away. They said they liked my skill set. I feel like I can bring rebounding, and scoring as well.”

A lengthy wing with a high IQ, Lawrence will help out the Hurricanes on both sides of the ball early in his career.

Lawrence will play with Each1Teach1 Elite 17U on the EYBL circuit this summer.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/anthony-lawrence-to-miami/

Advertisement
A little more about him...

Anthony Lawrence has committed to the University of Miami.

The 6-foot-6 class of 2015 wing forward from Lakewood (Fla.) announced that he had chosen the Hurricanes on Twitter Monday afternoon.

“I grew up a Cane, I was holding back a bit because of my dad,” Lawrence told SNY.tv. “I just came out and said that I was going to chose Miami.”

Lawrence’s father, Anthony Sr. played at the University of Miami in college, and went on to play professional basketball overseas.

Anthony Jr. says that the coaching staff was what convinced him to go to commit to the Hurricanes.

“Coach Larranega was really what made me commit,” Lawrence said. “I really like him as a coach. He said they’re going to let me play right away. They said they liked my skill set. I feel like I can bring rebounding, and scoring as well.”

A lengthy wing with a high IQ, Lawrence will help out the Hurricanes on both sides of the ball early in his career.

Lawrence will play with Each1Teach1 Elite 17U on the EYBL circuit this summer.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/anthony-lawrence-to-miami/

I read somewhere that he even plays the point. He says he can play all positions except center. I guess he gets our only scholarship for 2015, so they wanted someone versatile.

Looks like to me he's a decent player. Not great, but decent. If he really buckles down, works hard, and adds some weight/explosiveness, then he could really be a nice piece in the rotation early on, and eventually a solid starter.

It's like he's a good athlete, has length, but doesn't really play above the rim all that much. He relies on his length to reach for steals/blocks, and those are fouls against players on the D1 level that are his skill level and size. Now--he has a pretty good touch from outside, decent skills taking the ball to the hole, and gets good position to rebound the ball. I'd like to see his effort go up, work harder, and use the skills that he has at a more optimum level. Seems like he's not going hard all the time.

I don't see him being a superstar, but he could work himself into being a nice role player.

Advertisement
With Reed at SF and only a sophomore, this kid is going to have time to develop. In addition, if we run a 3 guard lineup (w/ or w/o Reed) he is going to have time to develop. It would not shock me if he red-shirtted.

I read somewhere that he even plays the point. He says he can play all positions except center. I guess he gets our only scholarship for 2015, so they wanted someone versatile.

We have two scholarships. One from James Kelly's graduation, and one from the open scholarship this year (that we are hoping to spend on a 5th year, or just to eat).

Regarding his ceiling, he has apparently "blown up" somewhat this year - really developed and put some triple-doubles up, including in the state playoffs. We view him as a point forward, a potential John Salmons type. We'll see where he is a year and a half from now when he sets foot on the court.

With Reed at SF and only a sophomore, this kid is going to have time to develop. In addition, if we run a 3 guard lineup (w/ or w/o Reed) he is going to have time to develop. It would not shock me if he red-shirtted.

He's a 2015, so Reed will be a junior when he arrives. Assuming no attrition, the only two players we lose after this coming year are Kelly and any 5th year. However, after 2015-16 (going into his sophomore year), we lose Rodriguez, McClellan, Uceda and Jekiri, so I think there would be minutes there. We may be reluctant to redshirt him if only because it moves the scholarship out of 2015 and disrupts the balance.

He's a 2015, so Reed will be a junior when he arrives. Assuming no attrition, the only two players we lose after this coming year are Kelly and any 5th year. However, after 2015-16 (going into his sophomore year), we lose Rodriguez, McClellan, Uceda and Jekiri, so I think there would be minutes there. We may be reluctant to redshirt him if only because it moves the scholarship out of 2015 and disrupts the balance.

I disagree. I think it would disrupt the balance greater to play an inexperienced player in a new system. If we're playing 3 guards or Reed at SF (which we will be doing) and all of those guys have at least 1 year in the program introducing a new player would only disrupt the balance.

As for scholarship balance, I think it is difficult to foresee the scholarship situation in 2015-2016 (and going forward) because we don't know who will redshirt next year or if any transfers (in and out) between now and then.

I only suggest redshirting him so he can be acclimated to the college game slowly. If he can play or we need him, so be it.

Advertisement
Back