Welcome to the U, Scott Patchan

105.gif

Advertisement
Come on Miami So Fl boys! U goin let the central FL boys take ALL your ships? State of Miami goes way north. Don't miss the bus.

Advertisement
Really like his length and frame. He'll need to gain some weight and strength, but that's the case with every high school lineman. One of the things I always look for in a high school defensive lineman is for him to visibly jump off the screen with their athleticism. You see after watching just a few seconds this kid is their guy on the DL. He's consistently the first one off the ball, has a very good first step and really quick hands. I was honestly shocked at his speed, he looked like a fluid mover who legitimately has "Miami speed" for the position. He's a high motor guy who seems to do a good job of finding the ball against all the misdirection offenses he sees.

He's not an impactful tackler. He really isn't the best at using his hands to stand up linemen, disengage and make the tackle. He needs to get more forceful with his hands and gain strength, but this kid has the tools to be really good.

I scoff at the 3-star label that a few sites put on him. His offer list is much more indicative of the talent of this kid. We got a good one here.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Really like his length and frame. He'll need to gain some weight and strength, but that's the case with every high school lineman. One of the things I always look for in a high school defensive lineman is for him to visibly jump off the screen with their athleticism. You see after watching just a few seconds this kid is their guy on the DL. He's consistently the first one off the ball, has a very good first step and really quick hands. I was honestly shocked at his speed, he looked like a fluid mover who legitimately has "Miami speed" for the position. He's a high motor guy who seems to do a good job of finding the ball against all the misdirection offenses he sees.

He's not an impactful tackler. He really isn't the best at using his hands to stand up linemen, disengage and make the tackle. He needs to get more forceful with his hands and gain strength, but this kid has the tools to be really good.

I scoff at the 3-star label that a few sites put on him. His offer list is much more indicative of the talent of this kid. We got a good one here.

Does he have good length? His brother is tall but has really short arms. I hope that's not the case here. He looks like he's gonna be huge in 4-5 years based on that pic with Golden.

Does he have good length? His brother is tall but has really short arms. I hope that's not the case here. He looks like he's gonna be huge in 4-5 years based on that pic with Golden.

I haven't measured his arms, but he looks to have nice length in those clips and good timing with his leap. Arm length is more important for OL than it is DL anyway. OL use their arms to keep the DL off their chest, while DL want to use their arms/hands to keep the OL's arms off them and be moving upfield.

Another thing I saw Patchan be really good at was slanting down hard and getting penetration.

When Schnellenberger was interviewed, right after the '87 championship game, about how he started building the program in the early '80's, he said he looked for height and speed. In reality, his teams were not as fast as the teams developed by his successor Jimmy Johnson, but one thing this kid has is height. He towers over Golden. I'll take your word for it on his first step. He can get bigger and stronger, and learn to take on lineman. This looks like a great get.

I knew something was wrong with this program when his brother trashed the team's attitude after the loss to UVA in the last game in the OB. His older brother knew something wasn't right. This tells me we're back on track.

Advertisement
Back