Wekiva 4-star Davis talks about why Miami made his top group and where he'll go from here

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 Wekiva (FL) 4-star DE/LB Rian Davis recently narrowed down his recruitment and released his top 12 list. The Canes made it onto a list that also included programs like Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State and Davis expanded on what it was like to parse down his many offers.

“It was very hard, relationships with the other coaches was what made it difficult,” Davis said on having to eliminate some schools.

So what was it about Miami that made him comfortable putting the Canes in his top group?

“Walking around the school and seeing the facilities and classroom and meeting the coaches showed me that they have a lot to offer,” Davis said of the Canes.

Miami outside linebackers coach Jon Patke has taken the lead in Davis’ Miami recruitment. While in the past, Davis said Miami never specified if they liked him better at DE or LB, he says now UM is looking at him as a LB.

“Yeah, they’re recruiting me for LB,” Davis said. “It doesn’t matter to me, I feel comfortable at both DE and LB.”

Going into the summer, Davis sees his recruitment becoming less hectic as he’s now established a list of contenders and he’s focused on making his senior season at Wekiva special.

“Yeah, I see the process starting to slow down,” Davis said. “I will be narrowing down to a top 3 on June 11th and I will decide over the summer sometime right before the season.”

As for upcoming visits, Davis is planning a trip to UGA to see Athens this weekend. When he does feel comfortable choosing one school, it’s clear academics, coaching, and the surrounding environment will be key factors for Davis.

“I’m looking for a great education and great coaching that’s going to take me to the next level, and it has to feel like home.”

Advertisement
I must have missed the twitter breaking "top 37.5" announcement before this round of cuts. Drama queen.

Uga looks like they lead based on an article i read from 247? we really need to start pushing for him.

Advertisement
Obviously I want and love this kid but we need to go after some pure DEs too. Feel like I’ve only heard of Sommerall and Bogle who are both skinny with huge upside.

Obviously I want and love this kid but we need to go after some pure DEs too. Feel like I’ve only heard of Sommerall and Bogle who are both skinny with huge upside.
The two you mentioned probably need a year in the S&C program when they arrive.

For the majority of these OOS kids, getting them down to Miami is the main hurdle. Hard to compete with our Campus and nightlife, that's when the real games begin.

LOL kid isnt even OOS. He is in Apopka, FL.

Advertisement
One of my favorite prospects, regardless of position. Watch this kid's tape -- he can play LB or DE at a very high level.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I must have missed the twitter breaking "top 37.5" announcement before this round of cuts. Drama queen.
Brock trust me this guy isn't a drama queen. His top schools are Ohio state and Clemson everybody else is far back. Miami isn't even recruiting him that hard. If Miami put on a full court press they would have a shot but as of now Ohio state and Clemson are his top schools. He will also commit before his senior year.

Advertisement
Back