Weinberg the most underrated pickup of the season

It’s not reasonable to expect a kicker to make a 50 yarder in doors?
In college it's not a high % kick. I posted the number for P4 kickers from different ranges. Why are you asking? I posted what average P4 kickers do. Davis exceeded those numbers last season. The only reason anyone thinks he was bad is the Texas A&M game which was about the worst conditions imaginable for a kicker. We couldn't even throw the ball in that game, just stopped trying sometime in the 2nd quarter, and people wonder why Davis is struggling to with kicks that aren't chip shots?

When you get to the high 40's and 50+ range a college kicker will be around 50% if he's a good kicker. Davis made kicks from 49 vs Notre Dame and Ohio State as well as a 53 yarder vs Florida. If you wouldn't take that from your kicker you are a fool.
 
Context:
3 were from ~50+ and two others in 20mph sustained winds with 35mph gusts.

Could he have kicked better? Sure. But let’s not pretend he was kicking chip shots in ideal conditions.
I've tried to explain it to him. He's clearly insane.

The wind vs A&M was a swirling wind that changed direction very suddenly. That's why the Canes stopped really trying to throw the ball in that game.
 
He made one of those kicks in the wind. Man up- Carter
A 21 yard FG. That's the one he made. You have no idea what kicking in those kind of conditions is like. You have no idea about anything regarding football. You just want to ***** at the players and say they should have done better regardless of how difficult the task is.
 
A 21 yard FG. That's the one he made. You have no idea what kicking in those kind of conditions is like. You have no idea about anything regarding football. You just want to ***** at the players and say they should have done better regardless of how difficult the task is.
So, i do what you do?

1791374680508.png
 
How is that the same thing? LOL. You are a clown. At tackle foot speed and length/height, two things Cantwell has in spades, are much more important. At Guard the ability to win the leverage battle generally decides who wins the rep. From what we've seen Cantwell isn't suited for playing on the interior as he doesn't have the flexibility to get low. The dudes 6'8". Do you have any clue how rare it is for a Guard to be 6'7" or 6'8"? The only NFL Guard I can recall who was that tall and played at a high level for multiple seasons was Alex Boone. Ohio State Tackle who moved inside in the NFL. Congdon can do it because he has elite flexibility. Wrestling background probably factors into it as well. Cantwell is a Tackle.

You are a child. You rip on a dude for not consistently making 50/50+ yard FG's and struggling to kick in a tornado and compare that to me saying a 6'8" offensive lineman, google search NFL Guards who are 6'7" or taller and you'll find a very short list, is much better suited for Tackle. Are you serious? You do realize that Tackle is considered the premium "big money" Oline position right?
 
Last edited:
I think its absolutely rich that you chide me for doing the exact same thing. Go **** yourself and your 190 comments.
What I said isn't even close to the nonsense you said. I didn't say Cantwell was a bum who can't play I said his skill set lends itself to playing Tackle aka the big money Oline position.
 
What I said isn't even close to the nonsense you said. I didn't say Cantwell was a bum who can't play I said his skill set lends itself to playing Tackle aka the big money Oline position.
I'm sorry brother. Can you point out where I called Carter Davis a "bum"?
 
I'm sorry brother. Can you point out where I called Carter Davis a "bum"?
I never actually said you did but.....you might as well have. Your position has been that he was a subpar kicker for us last season which doesn't track with reality. The guy was a good to very good P4 kicker for Miami who only missed two, possibly 3 if you wanna count the 35 yarder at A&M, high % FG's all season.

You actually admitted you were ripping on him. You said "You chide me for doing the exact same thing you do" when what I said wasn't ripping on Cantwell as it was simply an observation that his skillset is far better suited for Tackle than Guard something anyone who knows anything about football would agree with. Guys Cantwell's height almost never play Guard.
 
Mind you this is a guy who FSU gave up on. He’s been great on kickoffs and looks more than solid on FGs.

Back to back seasons we’ve taken a kicker who struggled at his previous stop and fixed them.

And he has two more years left
The last one cost us the championship . Take away his missed field goal we only need a field goal to win . Bauman whiff wouldn’t have mattered. So yeah he’s part of the reason we lost . This kicker seems a lot better
 
I never actually said you did but.....you might as well have. Your position has been that he was a subpar kicker for us last season which doesn't track with reality. The guy was a good to very good P4 kicker for Miami who only missed two, possibly 3 if you wanna count the 35 yarder at A&M, high % FG's all season.

You actually admitted you were ripping on him. You said "You chide me for doing the exact same thing you do" when what I said wasn't ripping on Cantwell as it was simply an observation that his skillset is far better suited for Tackle than Guard something anyone who knows anything about football would agree with. Guys Cantwell's height almost never play Guard.
I never actually said you did but.....you might as well have. Your position has been that he was a subpar kicker for us last season which doesn't track with reality. The guy was a good to very good P4 kicker for Miami who only missed two, possibly 3 if you wanna count the 35 yarder at A&M, high % FG's all season.

You actually admitted you were ripping on him. You said "You chide me for doing the exact same thing you do" when what I said wasn't ripping on Cantwell as it was simply an observation that his skillset is far better suited for Tackle than Guard something anyone who knows anything about football would agree with. Guys Cantwell's height almost never play Guard.
I said he was 3/8 on FGs and he wasn’t reliable in the CFP. And he wasn’t elite. If you don’t like, get over it. This entire board is full of criticism in which YOU have participated. Go away. Go touch grass.
 
His FG kicking is still tbd to me but there’s a pretty substantial difference in strength on KOs compared to Davis, who was pretty much automatic TB every time.
 
I didn't read any of this thread, but unless someone N'Kosi'd his girlfriend, why is there a thread about the kicker in the middle of the season when he's kicking good
 
Last edited:
Mind you this is a guy who FSU gave up on. He’s been great on kickoffs and looks more than solid on FGs.

Back to back seasons we’ve taken a kicker who struggled at his previous stop and fixed them.

And he has two more years left
Back to back years is a reach. Dude missed a lot of big kicks in playoffs. In the natty, too.
 
Back
Top