Week (what week is it?) Stat Roll

As always, only FBS vs FBS games are factored into these numbers.

We are now up to 126 FBS teams that have played at least 3 game, and Arizona State has played 2. So these are out of 127 overall.

Offense:

Yards per play: 39th (6.02 YPP)
Yards per game: 25th (446 YPG)
Points per game: 22nd (34.9 PPG)
Passing yards per game: 30th (272.8 YPG)
Passing completion percentage: 35th (63.5%)
Passing yards per attempt: 32nd (8.2 YPA)
Passer rating: 27th (151.67)
Rushing yards per game: 60th (173.0 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt: 72nd (4.27 YPA)
Sacks given up per game: 103rd (2.89 per game)
3rd down conversion %: 50th (42.54%)
4th down conversion %: 12th (76.9% -- 10 for 13)
TFLs allowed per game: 119th (8.33 per game)
Red Zone TD %: 86th (56.76% TD rate, 21 TDs in 37 chances)
Red Zone Scoring %: 29th (33 scores in 37 chances)
Field goal %: 18th (17 out of 19)
PAT %: 1st (35 out of 35)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 24th (141) -- We are 12th when factoring teams who have played 9 or less games
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 19th (51) -- 9th in teams w/ 9 games or less
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 11th (29) -- 8th in teams w/ 9 games or less
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 14th (13) -- 9th in teams w/ 9 games or less
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 14th (7) -- 9th in teams w/ 9 games or less
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 10th (4) -- 6th in teams w/ 9 games or less
70+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 5th (3) -- 3rd in teams w/ 9 games or less

Defense:

Yards per play allowed: 25th (5.11 YPP)
Points per game allowed: 31st (22.0 PPG)
Passing yards per game allowed: 57th (227.1 YPG)
Passing completion percentage allowed: 66th (62.0%)
Passing yards per attempt: 19th (6.4 YPA)
Passer rating allowed: 37th (125.51)
Rushing yards per game allowed: 42nd (139.1 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt allowed: 40th (3.86 YPA)
Sacks per game: 29th (2.89 sacks per game)
3rd down % allowed: 39th (36.76% allowed)
4th down % allowed: 36th (46.67% allowed)
TFLs per game: 4th (9.0 per game)
Red Zone td % allowed: 24th (53.1% allowed -- 17 TDs in 32 chances)
Red Zone Scoring % allowed: 49th (81.3% allowed -- 26 scores in 32 chances)
Punting: 4th (46.88 Yard average)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 99th (139)
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 86th (41)
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 71st (16)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 34th (5)
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 39th (3)
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 20th (1)

Team Stats:

Penalties: 108th (7.9 penalties per game)
Penalty yards: 111th (70.1 Yards per game)
Turnover margin: 18th (0.78 per game -- 16 takeaways, 9 giveaways)
Time of possession: 93rd (28:41 per game)
Number of offensive plays: 16th (Avg 74.0 plays per game)

Takeaways:

Welp. That was the definition of a stat game. As expected, all of the numbers exploded in the positive direction. We are now in the Top 40 in pretty much every offensive metric, and back into the Top 25 in defensive YPP. Just an absolute, complete total domination, essentially from start to finish. One of the biggest beatings since we joined the conference. And yes, Duke is absolutely dreadful, plus they had multiple kids very vocal on social media about playing the game at all....so it's pretty safe to say they absolutely quit before the game kicked, then once they got down, it was game over. Probably fair. But it doesn't take away from the fact that Miami still has to execute in order to perform how they did. How many practice videos did we have to suffer through the past few years where our QBs were bouncing or sailing passes, missing receivers against AIR. Too many. Welp, they may not have been Clemson, but there were still 11 kids in blue jerseys on the opposite side of the field for every snap, and we kicked their ****s in the dirt, rudely, for 60 minutes. Fantastic performance, especially with the climate of what the kids and staff are dealing with right now.

I will do a full season comparison vs last year and vs the last 10 years at the end of the season, but just a few quick highlights:

-- We are now averaging 34.9 PPG through 9 games. And I believe that's all offense, I don't remember any special teams or defensive scores this season. So, Mr. Lashlee, my hat is off to you, sir. Barring a complete catastrophe in the last 3 games, we are going to finish the year with our highest PPG output since 2002. Last year, we averaged 22.6 PPG. Almost 2 full touchdowns better per game this year. Masterful.

-- We are now averaging over 6 YPP, good for 39th in the country. Not out of this world, but when you consider we averaged 5.41 last year (89th in the country), and 5.44 in 2018 (84th in the country), it's a pretty remarkable turnaround. Still too many negative plays to be an elite offense (103rd in sacks allowed and 119th in TFLs allowed), but to have those numbers and still be Top 40 in the country in yards per play means you are explosive as **** when you do hit. And sure enough, we're pretty much in the Top 10 in the country across the board in explosive plays. It's exactly what we've all been screaming for over and over: Get your playmakers the ball in space. We have elite speed compared to the teams we play. No reason to slog through 3 yards and a cloud of dust. And the absolute abomination that was the OL isn't going to be fixed overnight. Most of us knew that. Yes, Enos didn't play to our strengths and we had a freshman QB, but you can't have an OL as bad as we had last year with elite players. Meaning, you can't be THAT BAD just from coaching and a QB. We have to be honest, we're not great up front. But to take what we saw last year, which was honestly one of the biggest liability position groups in the entire country, and turn it into what we're seeing here simply from adding 1 kid on the line, a new QB, new offensive staff and basically no off-season due to Covid….again, hats off to the staff. Marvelous job.

-- Defensive PPG now down to 22.0 (yes, shutouts help). The defense has not given up a single point in their last 5 quarters played. In the last 3 games, we have given up 3 fourth quarter points. In the last 4 games, we've given up 10 fourth quarter points. That is EXCELLENT work finishing games. It's a testament to the conditioning of the kids, and the adjustments of the staff. We know we've got some warts on that side, and Sam Howell is coming calling on Saturday, but we all know those magical stats we've said for years...."if we can just score 30 a game, we should win". Well, the defense has given up 30+ only 3 times this year, and one of those was to the #1 team in the country. Overall, it's been pretty good, albeit bumpy at times. BIG TIME challenge on Saturday. Have the kids really turned a corner? Go hold UNC under 30 and we'll talk.

-- Special teams, again...special. Hedley and Jose are just Godsends. Hats off to Manny there too....recognizing gigantic weaknesses and filling them with kids who are tough minded and don't get rattled.

-- I expect to roll again on offense on Saturday. UNC is 73rd in the country in defensive YPP allowed, and 70th in scoring defense. They average giving up 30.8 a game. I fully expect to see 35+ out of Lashlee, King and Co. on Saturday afternoon. I think 40+ is in the cards, honestly. We're going to get close to 80 plays with the pace of this game, and I expect us to hit a lot of explosive shots. The game will be decided by our defense, IMO, which I NEVER say. But if we can hold them under 30, I think we win easily. UNC is actually worse than us when it comes to sacks allowed...they've giving up 3.11 a game, and they're 75th in the country in TFLs allowed. Their offense is much like ours...entirely predicated on big plays. They lead the country by a mile in 10+ yard scrimmage plays. They have played 1 more game than Bama, but they have 29 more 10+ yard plays than Bama does. They're 3rd in 20+ yard plays. They're 4th in 30+ yard plays. The key will be limiting those, which actually we've done a decent job on defense of not giving up HUGE plays. Problem is, we've given up WAYYYYY too many 10+ and 20+ yard plays. IMO this is the key. Can we slow them down enough on early downs, don't give up 10-15 yards over and over, and get after them on obvious passing situations. And then beat the brakes off their defense. If we hold them to 30 or less, we are celebrating in the 4th quarter. Can't wait.

Advertisement
Ugh, the penalties and sacks allowed/TFL (I lump them together because they are both O-line issues), killing me!

Agreed...but only 3 penalties last week. Tied for least all year, we also had 3 vs UAB.

And Duke only had 6 TFLs against us. Believe it or not, they are Top 20 in the country in that category.

So you're 100% right, those are the 2 main things bogging us down. But they were both much better last week. Progress?

I see UNC gaining a **** ton of yards through the air, but if we can control the ground game and force a few FGs as opposed to TDs then I think swell be in a good position to win.
Take away their run game, control their big plays through the air and get some sacks.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back