Week 7 Stat Roll

As always, only FBS vs FBS games are factored into these numbers.

Now 77 FBS programs have played a game.

Offense:

Yards per play: 30th (5.81 YPP)
Yards per game: 34th (407.6 YPG)
Points per game: 19th (35.6 PPG)
Passing yards per game: 42nd (228.6 YPG)
Passing completion percentage: 49th (58.8%)
Passing yards per attempt: 45th (6.9 YPA)
Passer rating: 42nd (132.92)
Rushing yards per game: 29th (179.0 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt: 21st (4.81 YPA)
Sacks given up per game: 44th (2.4 per game)
3rd down conversion %: 33rd (43.24%)
4th down conversion %: 13th (75% -- 6 for 8)
TFLs allowed per game: 68th (9.0 per game)
Red Zone TD %: 27th (70.6% TD rate, 12 TDs in 17 chances)
Red Zone Scoring %: 12th (16 scores in 17 chances)
Field goal %: 1st (8 out of 8)
PAT %: 1st (22 out of 22)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 17th (71)
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 19th (24)
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 9th (14)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 5th (8)
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 6th (4)
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 5th (3)
70+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 4th (2)

Defense:

Yards per play allowed: 22nd (5.21 YPP)
Points per game allowed: 20th (23.8 PPG)
Passing yards per game allowed: 43rd (252.2 YPG)
Passing completion percentage allowed: 33rd (59.8%)
Passing yards per attempt: 14th (6.3 YPA)
Passer rating allowed: 22nd (123.94)
Rushing yards per game allowed: 31st (144.0 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt allowed: 39th (3.98 YPA)
Sacks per game: 24th (2.8 sacks per game)
3rd down % allowed: 18th (31.17% allowed)
4th down % allowed: 19th (44.4% allowed)
TFLs per game: 4th (9.8 per game)
Red Zone td % allowed: 14th (47.83% allowed -- 11 TDs in 23 chances)
Red Zone Scoring % allowed: 24th (78.3% allowed -- 18 scores in 23 chances)
Punting: 5th (47.09 Yard average) -- PEEP MY DOG LOU!!!
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 74th (90)
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 66th (27)
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 24th (6)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 10th (2)
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 35th (2)
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 28th (2)

Team Stats:

Penalties: 60th (8.4 penalties per game)
Penalty yards: 65th (77.8 Yards per game)
Turnover margin: 35th (0.0 per game -- 8 takeaways, 8 giveaways)
Time of possession: 65th (26:42 per game)
Number of offensive plays: 18th (Avg 70.2 plays per game)

Takeaways:

As expected, the offensive numbers have nosedived the past 2 weeks. Disappointing, surely. But we just, without a doubt, played the 2 best defenses we'll see all season, back to back. Again, that's no excuse. You want to be able to be successful no matter who you play. But going from what we saw last year to just chewing up really solid defenses is probably not very realistic. Overall, I think we can all agree the offense is much improved. We have scored over 30 points in 4 of the 5 games so far, which is the benchmark many of us have been screaming for. Not surprisingly, we're 4-0 when we score 30+, and 0-1 when we don't. Pretty much on par for the past 10+ seasons.

Clemson is #5 in defensive YPP allowed. Pittsburgh is #7. Looking ahead, UVA is #42, NC State is #27, VT is #65, GT is #55, Wake is #55, and UNC is #25. As I said, easier sledding ahead. I am not ready to push the panic button after 2 weeks against those defenses. Especially when Brevin Jordan doesn't play. I can't overstate how important he is to this offense. Mallory played well, but Brevin is the most dynamic playmaker we have on that side. He has to get healthy quickly.

Defensive numbers again not bad. Manny and Baker doing what they always do...lots of sacks and TFLs, but WAY too many explosive plays given up. We have given up 90 plays of 10+ yards so far this year. Even with that god awful offense last year and teams not having to press on offense, we only gave up 151 in 13 games. On pace for 198 on only 11 games this year. This has GOT to get better. I know people were upset with the defense last week, and it wasn't great, but it was at worst solid....22 rushing yards and under 6 yards a throw is pretty good. Their only TD was a whopping 1 yard drive after a pick, and another pick set them up in the redzone and the defense held them to 3.

All in all, I like where we're at right now. Clemson was obviously disappointing, but I've watched every snap of every Miami game we've played for the last 15+ years, and I cannot tell you how bad my PTSD was before kickoff on Saturday. We have found ways to lose that exact game SO. MANY. TIMES. over the past 15 years. So, credit to the staff and the kids. A sleepy noon game in front of no crowd against a team you think (in your mind) that you should handle after a game like Clemson....we always blow that, or at a minimum really struggle. But we jumped up 14-0, and while it wasn't a perfect performance by any means, the game was never really in doubt and it's a double-digit conference win. That being said, I will be really nervous if we don't absolutely blister UVA this week. They are not nearly as good as Pittsburgh, especially on defense, it's back to a night game, the Clemson game should be well in the rear view by now, we get a bye to get healthy after this week....it's time for some fireworks. The line is only -11, which is very surprising. I rarely bet on Miami games, but I will be putting a wager on the Canes this week for sure. Especially if Jordan is back. I expect the offense to be much better going forward as the OL gets Jarrid Williams back and we're not going up against multiple NFL players on the opposition's front. As the OL goes, the offense goes. We will revisit next week but I will be extremely disappointed if we don't get north of 6.5 YPP and 35+ points this week.

Advertisement
I cannot remember the last time we were only even in Turnovers. We seem to always be ahead in that category.

Last year was barely positive (+2 for the season), and 2018 was -3.

2016 and 2017 were very good, but the last 3 seasons have been average to below average.

I forgot about '18. Our D has been so solid at creating TO's the last few years, seems we can't get the lucky bounce this year or keep our hands on the ball.

Wow:

Time of possession: 65th (26:42 per game)
Number of offensive plays: 18th (Avg 70.2 plays per game)

Advertisement
good thing we got this great new OC that runs a wide open offense that can't be stopped and got this new QB that lit up conference USA for 50 billion yds that will be impossible to defend in this offense with Miami's skill people or we would be way down in the rankings......lol

good thing we got this great new OC that runs a wide open offense that can't be stopped and got this new QB that lit up conference USA for 50 billion yds that will be impossible to defend in this offense with Miami's skill people or we would be way down in the rankings......lol

Last year we were 89th in YPP, 99th in scoring, 121st in rushing, 127th in sacks allowed and the worst 3rd down team of the last 2 seasons.

Where exactly did you expect the offense to end up this year?

And I'm not trolling you. Honest question. I know you're being snarky, of course. But jokes aside, where did you expect to end up? Top 10? Top 20? Not everyone has played yet but we're 19th in the country in scoring. 35.6 a game. Wanna know the last time we averaged 35 a game for a season??

How bout 2002?

Last year we were 89th in YPP, 99th in scoring, 121st in rushing, 127th in sacks allowed and the worst 3rd down team of the last 2 seasons.

Where exactly did you expect the offense to end up this year?

And I'm not trolling you. Honest question. I know you're being snarky, of course. But jokes aside, where did you expect to end up? Top 10? Top 20? Not everyone has played yet but we're 19th in the country in scoring. 35.6 a game. Wanna know the last time we averaged 35 a game for a season??

How bout 2002?
First in everything of course.

The 10+ yard plays given up I feel has a lot to do with our alignment as well as linebackers missing tackles or just plain not being fast enough to get there. Our safeties may get them down but it’s a 10+ yard gain still. I think our defense reminds me of that Ohio taint defense from 2 years back where they were a good defense but they gave up a ton of explosive plays and proved to be their downfall when it came down to jt

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back