Week 6 Rankings - AP #17, Coaches #17

[BGCOLOR=initial] [/BGCOLOR]I still think they will. There is a reason we are still outside the top 15 with teams jumping us. The voters have no faith in Miami yet.

I think UNC is the only win they will consider quality. Miami will move into the top ten with three wins but that is only because other teams will be losing. Lose to GT and it's virtually over. Beating Clem gets no credit but lose to them and it's the same loss of faith.

Voters don't know jack ****. That's another reason we are being jumped. We continue to handle our business, and those dopey losers will have no choice but to rank us higher.

I am here for it.

Advertisement
These polls are garbage. There's still so much speculation based on last year and the preseason polls. Although UGA and FSU are good teams, clearly they and others are not as advertised for 2023. Nobody looks like a dominant team except maybe Oregon and Texas.

The FPI is a better metric. It's not drunk on UGA and FSU kool-aide, but I do disagree with Ohio State as #1. UGA is #6 and FSU is #10 in the FPI. Meanwhile, Miami is pretty consistent at #15 in the FPI.

You don’t think Washington looks dominant?

Also, until they lose, GA should be number 1. Call me old school.

Voters don't know jack ****. That's another reason we are being jumped. We continue to handle our business, and those dopey losers will have no choice but to rank us higher.

I am here for it.
I agree 100%.

If you look at the voting breakdown you can see some voters have Maimi very low. Win the next three games combined with top 15 teams playing each other and we are in the top ten.

Advertisement
The win against ND impressed a lot of people, as it was at South Bend.

Our ranking is about where it should be. A good, quality win against a good team (AtoM) and beatdowns against three Nun's schools. If we start ripping through our ACC schedule with wins in the runup to F$U, we'll move up.
I didn't find the win that impressive. Not for a team who's FPI rating is #1.

If it were a playoff game and you said the #1 team beat the #10 team by a field goal 17-14 coming from behind, how would you feel about it? The Ohio State offense doesn't look very impressive either. I expect Michigan to get another victory over OSU and Penn State as well.

You can tell that people are starting to think we are going to win out.

I'm people.

We beat UNC by 2 TDs and I'm going full 15-0 mode. In wait & see until then. We can be anywhere from 8-4 to 12-0 in the regular season based upon our performance in the first 4 games. UNC has a legit offense and QB, has beaten SC, Minnesota and Pitt already. So they're going to be the proof that A2M wasn't a 1-hit-wonder.

Advertisement
You don’t think Washington looks dominant?

Also, until they lose, GA should be number 1. Call me old school.
Washington looked dominant until this past weekend against Arizona which is why I didn't include them.

I disagree with your rating assessment of UGA as #1 until they lose. Quite frankly that's the problem with these polls. Everything is based on last year. What does last year have to do with this year? It's not the same players. You have teams that are overrated and hang around in the top 20, but they don't belong or are overrated. Each season is a new year. There is so much roster turnover each year. Now more than ever, the previous year doesn't matter and shouldn't be a factor good or bad.

Thankfully, we have the CFP rankings that come out October 31st. The polls are just to keep fans engaged on games and to create promotional hype for matchups. However, I feel the committee is influenced by the ratings they see every week before their rankings come out.

Based on the games played. UGA is not #1. FSU is not a top 5 team. It will be interesting to see where UGA ranks. They have a very weak schedule. The only real challenge before the first CFP ranking is Kentucky this weekend. They face Vandy and UF after that. Their only other challenge in the regular season is Ole Miss. That's it. Again, I think football should be like basketball. Teams that play tougher schedules should be rewarded. Right now, I think Texas is #1. They have the best win of any team. They won convincingly on the road at Alabama. They will have a great test this weekend against OU. If Texas wins and holds serve, they should be #1.

I don't understand the media love fest with FSU. You have the media lazily saying, "Clearly FSU is the best team in the ACC." They could easily be 2-2 right now. They are at the middle and bottom of the ACC in several offensive and defensive categories. They haven't shown the ability to run the football this year. The offense looks like just a bunch of 50/50 balls being thrown to their tall receivers. In the ACC, FSU is 7th in total offense. Miami is 1st. FSU is 12th in Total Defense just ahead of UVA and GT. Miami is 2nd behind Clemson.

The CFP rankings should work just like NCAA basketball tournament. We see teams ranked high all year and then tournament time they are seeded much lower based on the their body of work. That's how it should be judged.

I'm looking forward to the new playoff system next year. It won't be perfect. You'll have people complaining that their team should have been ranked higher and get a bye or home game or got screwed because they had to face the toughest team early. For the most part, it will give the right teams an opportunity to win a title and that's all you can ask for.

Last edited:
Despite some of our differences, its just ******* exciting that we are arguing about CFP positioning again lol I will take that any day.

Back when i was in high school (91-95) i would get the NJ Star-ledger, look at the polls, sit in class and write out scenarios that resulted in Miami getting into the title game. Good times.

If we win against GT, we will move up. Every week teams drop games they are favored in, and there are very few unbeatable teams right now.

A few I will not be surprised about if it happens:

Ole miss can lose to Arkansas.
Oregon state can lose to cal.
Washington state can lose to UCLA.
Oklahoma can lose to Texas.
Alabama can lose the Tamu.
Arizona gave Washington a game, they can probably give USC a game also.

I am not saying they are all going to happen of course. but a convincing win paired with a couple of these upsets and we are inside the top 15

Advertisement
I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but the fact that Texas A&M is not ranked right now is also affecting our ranking. But after they beat Bama they will be back in top 25.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back