Week 5 Primer: SoFla High School Football

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Northwestern (3-1) vs. Southridge (1-3) 7 PM-Thursday @Traz Powell Stadium
This game will tell us a lot about these two teams. For the Bulls, it is a chance to rebound from their loss to Carol City last week, and for the Spartans, they can try to get their season back on track since losing three straight to Homestead, Columbus, and Killian. This will be an intriguing one to watch if you are a ‘Canes fan because the future safeties, Jamal Carter and Artie Burns, will be on display. I would not be surprised either way, but I like Southridge to pull this one out behind a big game from RB Jamal Adjamah.

Central (1-2) vs. Columbus (3-1) 7:30 PM-Friday @Traz Powell Stadium
These two powerhouses will match up in what is considered the game of the week. Columbus is hot right now, winning their last three games by a combined score of 132-24. This will be a great litmus test for the Explorer defense, as Joseph Yearby ran for over 275 yards and 4 TDs against them last year. Dalvin Cook was not utilized very much in last year’s game, but look for both to be heavily involved and there is a good chance we continue to see the look of Yearby at QB and Cook next to him in the backfield. This game ultimately comes down to Columbus QB Tucker Beirne’s ability to hold onto the football and make smart decisions. If he can spread the ball around effectively to his playmakers, the Explorers will win this game. I am taking the Rockets to win this one, though.

Hialeah (3-0) vs. Norland (3-1) 7:30 PM-Friday @Milander
This is a really tough one to call. Both are sitting on nice records right now, but neither has beaten any good teams. Hialeah’s best win came against a very down Belen team, while Norland’s loss came to Northwestern. I think the Vikings will pull it off, but never count out a George Williams-led team.

Miramar (2-2) vs. Cypress Bay (3-1) 7 PM-Friday @Miramar
This is a very interesting game where Miramar has a chance to show that they can grow up in time for the playoffs. Cypress Bay is a veteran team led by seniors Alex Montgomery, Matt Dayes, and Nico Marley. Marques Dudley-Gordon has also been a weapon for the Lightning on both sides of the ball this year. The “Dark Side” defense for the Patriots will need to step up in a big way for them to have a real chance at home. I ultimately thing Cypress Bay will be too much for them, but it is a very important game for Miramar in order to continue to show progress with a youthful squad.

Yulee vs. Glades Day 7 PM-Friday @Yulee
This nationally televised game is not so much about the game, but the battle between two of the most prolific players in high school football history, Kelvin Taylor and Derrick Henry. Henry will be making his college choice during the game, as well as looking to set the record for most consecutive 100-yard games (39). He ran for 502 yards in his team’s last game.

Other Notable Games:
Edison vs. Booker T. Washington 7 PM-Thursday @Curtis Park
South Dade vs. South Miami 7:30 PM-Thursday @Harris Field
Homestead vs. Varela 7:30 PM-Friday @Harris Field
St. Thomas vs. McArthur 7 PM @STA
Pahokee vs. Delray American Heritage 7:30 PM @Pahokee
Miami Beach vs. Jackson 7 PM @North Miami

Advertisement
**** the ridge could end up 1-4 ..... should think about there scheduling before talking big hype about going to states

Yulee vs. Glades Day 7 PM-Friday @Yulee
This nationally televised game is not so much about the game, but the battle between two of the most prolific players in high school football history, Kelvin Taylor and Derrick Henry. Henry will be making his college choice during the game, as well as looking to set the record for most consecutive 100-yard games (39). He ran for 502 yards in his team’s last game.

Really? That's not a typo?

Just looked it up, he had 48 carries for 502 yards......

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back