Week 4 Stat Roll

As always, only FBS vs FBS games are factored.

And we now have data on 72 FBS programs. So all of these ranks are out of 72 schools that have played at least 1 game thus far.

Offense:

Yards per play: 12th (6.68 YPP)
Yards per game: 13th (499 YPG) Best mark in the last 11 seasons is 441 YPG, in 2012
Points per game: 11th (43.3 PPG)
Passing yards per game: 23rd (266.7 YPG)
Passing completion percentage: 21st (65.7%)
Passing yards per attempt: 35th (7.6 YPA)
Passer rating: 21st (151.7)
Rushing yards per game: 9th (232.3 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt: 5th (5.86 YPA) 118th out of 130 last year, by the way
Sacks given up per game: 9th (1 per game) 127th out of 130 last year, by the way
3rd down conversion %: 14th (52.17%)
4th down conversion %: 10th (83% -- 5 for 6)
TFLs allowed per game: 37th (6.3 per game)
Red Zone TD %: 18th (77% TD rate, 10 TDs in 13 chances)
Red Zone Scoring %: 1st (13 scores in 13 chances)
Field goal %: 1st (6 out of 6)
PAT %: 1st (16 out of 16)

Defense:

Yards per play allowed: 26th (5.16 YPP)
Points per game allowed: 19th (19.3 PPG)
Passing yards per game allowed: 30th (230.3 YPG)
Passing completion percentage allowed: 39th (62.0%)
Passing yards per attempt: 17th (6.4 YPA)
Passer rating allowed: 28th (123.65)
Rushing yards per game allowed: 35th (146.7 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt allowed: 33rd (3.96 YPA)
Sacks per game: 19th (3.33 sacks per game)
3rd down % allowed: 17th (30.23% allowed)
4th down % allowed: 29th (50.0% allowed)
TFLs per game: 9th (10.33 per game)
Red Zone td % allowed: 32nd (58.3% allowed -- 7 TDs in 12 chances)
Red Zone Scoring % allowed: 35th, which is tied for last (83.3% allowed -- 10 scores in 12 chances)
Punting: 18th (44.8 Yard average)

Team Stats:

Penalties: 49th (7.3 penalties per game)
Penalty yards: 51st (66.3 Yards per game)
Turnover margin: 14th (1.00 per game -- 6 takeaways, 3 giveaways)
Time of possession: 52nd (28:05 per game)
Number of offensive plays: 6 (Avg 74.7 plays per game)

Takeaways:

What really can be said, other than Saturday night was one of the most singular satisfying nights of my entire life? It was majestic, beautiful, breathtaking and orgasmic in every single aspect. To hang FIFTY-TWO on FSU, send their seniors home 0-4 against Miami, and be playing TWENTY true freshmen along with our backup kicker and punter....I truly find it difficult to put into words how special it was to watch that. I know a lot of times people are short-sighted, and on the surface, yes...FSU is absolute garbage and has been for a few years now. But that matters absolutely zero to me. It's still Miami and FSU. It's still the garnet and gold making the trek 500 miles south, and whipping their *** in that fashion will never, ever be insignificant. I can write a thesis on how badly this cripples their program, where they go from here, what this night means to us, etc. But for now I will just lament in the fact that FSU came to town and we anally raped them so brutally that our starting punter never took the football field, and our only punt of the night came from a walk-on. That's not supposed to happen in a Miami/FSU game. You're not supposed to drop a 50 burger in a Miami FSU game. In the previous 64 meetings, nobody ever had. Well, until Rhett Lashlee showed up.

Which brings me to the point of this weekly thread, which is numbers. My good Christ what a godsend this man and D'Eriq King have proven to be thus far. We're only 3 games in, so I have to pinch myself and forcibly pump the brakes, but what more can you ask for in 3 weeks? Essentially this same group of kids got shutout by Louisiana Tech 4 games ago. SHUTOUT!! We scored 17 points against Duke! Enter a mature, polished, focused QB and a coach who accentuates his skills (along with the kids around him), and we're scoring 21 points on 3 possessions in a quarter against FSU. Just incredible.

The stats speak for themselves. We know defensively we need to be better against scripts. FSU really only moved the ball twice on Saturday night, and it was on the first drive of the game and first drive of the 2nd half. We need to be better prepared. Through 3 games, this is not a championship defense. We all know that. But again, as usual, it's pretty good, at worst, and when you combine it with (FINALLY!) a competent offense.....well, you average winning your first 3 games by a score of 43-19. My biggest takeaway is the 3rd down offense. The last few years, it's really hard to quantify just how bad we've been on 3rd down. I've posted it 50x on this site, but the 2019 3rd down offense was not only the worst in the country, but it was the 2nd worst out of ALL TEAMS over the past 4 seasons. Truly, a historically awful 3rd down offense. Here comes Mr. Lashlee, and we just went 11/17 on 3rd down in a football game. We haven't had a 3rd down performance that good since September of 2012. Eight seasons. I was so disheartened by the end of last season that if we got to a 3rd and medium or long, I was already looking at field position and thinking about the punt. "Just don't turn it over", I must have said that 100 times. Now I'm saying, "Pick this **** up, D'Eriq!" It's just simply night and day and I literally could not be happier with how the offense has turned around. Give Manny a ton of credit. He refused to die on the Dan Enos ship, and realized if he was going to lose his dream job, he was going to try everything he could before it slipped away. Bringing Lashlee brought King, and so far, so very, very good.

Different animal in 2 weeks. We all know that. Clemson is infinitely better than FSU. But they've only seen Wake and The Citadel thus far. There is a far bigger truck coming down the road in 2 weeks. I know we'll be an underdog and I know we'll have a **** of an uphill climb. But I'm confident we can compete with them. And that's something I literally could not have possibly imagined even entertaining last December. Hats off to the staff so far. We are so much better than FSU it's not even funny, and I will never get tired of saying that. Go Canes.

Advertisement
Good stuff, dude.

For all the guys trying to temper enthusiasm from prison raping FSU, just remember this: FSU was even worse last year and in complete shambles from a coaching standpoint, and we didn't do this to them. It's OK to have some unbridled joy from giving anal *** like we did Saturday night.

Advertisement
Good stuff, dude.

For all the guys trying to temper enthusiasm from prison raping FSU, just remember this: FSU was even worse last year and in complete shambles from a coaching standpoint, and we didn't do this to them. It's OK to have some unbridled joy from giving anal *** like we did Saturday night.

We didn't even come close to doing this to them last year. Let's be real, we struggled for a large bit of that game last season.

FSU had the ball, 1st and 10, on their own 36 yard line last year with 14 minutes to go in the game and the score was 17-10. They had the ball, in the 4th quarter, down 1 score.

This past Saturday, we were up 2 scores before the end of the first quarter and it was 38-3 at the ******* half. Last year eventually became a good win, but it's not even close to what we just did to them.

Don't forget, they went to OT to beat Louisiana-Monroe last season. They were a dumpster fire last year, they're a dumpster fire this year. The difference is we're MILES better now than we were last November. Miles. This was a fist-******* of epic proportions, and although I will never forgive COVID for me not being able to enjoy it in person with 75,000 of my closest friends, I will remember (and talk infinite shlt about) Saturday night for as long as I live.

Thank god we have Lashlee and King.

Lets hope that we can use the bye to our advantage for once.

Advertisement
Always enjoy and appreciate this weekly work OP. The O numbers do speak for themselves. Truly amazing what has transpired from last year to this year and I don’t think we’ve peaked yet.

The D is obviously a concern but I’m hopeful that as the year goes on, the guys will gel and improve.

I don't recall getting a pass because al was our coach or because fsu had a huge talent advantage or our culture was garbage. So yeah, I'm not interested in any excuses on this one. Sure they lost because they suck, but the last 30 points were about us being really good.

I’ve said this for years, actually. Look, fans make excuses. For whatever reason, people have a really hard time saying, “Look, we ******* suck, man. Y’all might be good, we don’t know yet. But you’re better than us. We ******* blow ape.”

They just won’t do it. I don’t understand. I said that a LOT over the past 15 years. It doesn’t make you less of a fan. It makes you a rational person, maybe one with a semblance of intelligence.

HOWEVER, there is literally NO WORSE EXCUSE than the old “Oh, congrats. You beat the worst (insert team here) squad ever”. Bro. Come on. Have some god**** pride. It is nobody else’s fault that you suck donkey ****s. It’s YOUR job to put a product on the field, not mine. It’s MY job to beat your brains in.

And don’t get it twisted, Miami fans used that total bullspit MANY times. “Oh y’all beat Al Golden”. Bish I don’t care if the coach was Al Golden, Al Sharpton, the Golden Girls, who cares? Y’all suck and we whipped your *** and I’m gonna tell you ALL about it for the next year.

That nonsense gets me so heated. Excuses in general get me heated, but at least be a man and blame the refs or the weather or a bad break or an injury. Don’t tell me I can’t enjoy a win cause you ******* suck.

Advertisement
Semenholes sucked last year and we only put 27 on them. Totally different story this year. Not only did we put 52 on that trash this year but at least 60 guys got PT - 30 on D recorded a stat.

Semenholes sucked last year and we only put 27 on them. Totally different story this year. Not only did we put 52 on that trash this year but at least 60 guys got PT - 30 on D recorded a stat.

We put our backup punter and kicker in the game for Christ’s sake. You can’t be beaten worse than that. They are a flaming 55 gallon drum of diarrhea.

Always enjoy and appreciate this weekly work OP. The O numbers do speak for themselves. Truly amazing what has transpired from last year to this year and I don’t think we’ve peaked yet.

The D is obviously a concern but I’m hopeful that as the year goes on, the guys will gel and improve.
Quick scores and big leads also impact the defensive stats. I think this D is better than the numbers indicate.

Advertisement
I’ve said this for years, actually. Look, fans make excuses. For whatever reason, people have a really hard time saying, “Look, we ******* suck, man. Y’all might be good, we don’t know yet. But you’re better than us. We ******* blow ape.”

They just won’t do it. I don’t understand. I said that a LOT over the past 15 years. It doesn’t make you less of a fan. It makes you a rational person, maybe one with a semblance of intelligence.

HOWEVER, there is literally NO WORSE EXCUSE than the old “Oh, congrats. You beat the worst (insert team here) squad ever”. Bro. Come on. Have some god**** pride. It is nobody else’s fault that you suck donkey ****s. It’s YOUR job to put a product on the field, not mine. It’s MY job to beat your brains in.

And don’t get it twisted, Miami fans used that total bullspit MANY times. “Oh y’all beat Al Golden”. Bish I don’t care if the coach was Al Golden, Al Sharpton, the Golden Girls, who cares? Y’all suck and we whipped your *** and I’m gonna tell you ALL about it for the next year.

That nonsense gets me so heated. Excuses in general get me heated, but at least be a man and blame the refs or the weather or a bad break or an injury. Don’t tell me I can’t enjoy a win cause you ******* suck.
How dare you sully the Golden Girls by including them in a sentence with Al golden and Al sharpton!

And then forcing me to do the same thing. Smh

We didn't even come close to doing this to them last year. Let's be real, we struggled for a large bit of that game last season.

FSU had the ball, 1st and 10, on their own 36 yard line last year with 14 minutes to go in the game and the score was 17-10. They had the ball, in the 4th quarter, down 1 score.

This past Saturday, we were up 2 scores before the end of the first quarter and it was 38-3 at the ******* half. Last year eventually became a good win, but it's not even close to what we just did to them.

Don't forget, they went to OT to beat Louisiana-Monroe last season. They were a dumpster fire last year, they're a dumpster fire this year. The difference is we're MILES better now than we were last November. Miles. This was a fist-******* of epic proportions, and although I will never forgive COVID for me not being able to enjoy it in person with 75,000 of my closest friends, I will remember (and talk infinite shlt about) Saturday night for as long as I live.
Right. Last week game was over when FSU didn't score on their 2nd drive (14-3).

Advertisement
Back