Week 2 Stat Roll

As always, these numbers only reflect FBS vs FBS competition. Any games vs any FCS teams are filtered out. So, very small sample size for us having only 2 games, and in some cases some of these teams have only 1 game vs FBS foes. Long way to go, but some very encouraging stuff here:

Offense:

Yards per play: 4th (8.21 YPP)
Yards per game: 24th (472 YPG)
Points per game: 11th (43.0 PPG)
Passing yards per game: 23rd (308.5 YPG)
Passing completion percentage: 10th (74.5%)
Passing yards per attempt: 2nd (11.2 YPA)
Passer rating: 6th (201.14)
Rushing yards per game: 47th (163.5 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt: 23rd (5.45 YPA)
Sacks given up per game: 50th (1.5 per game)
3rd down conversion %: 78th (37.5%)
4th down conversion %: N/A (We haven't attempted a 4th down conversion yet)
TFLs allowed per game: 14th (3.5 per game)
Red Zone TD %: 61st (62.5% TD rate, 5 TDs in 8 chances)
Red Zone Scoring %: 1st (8 scores in 8 chances, 48 other teams are at 100% as wel)
Field goal %: 64th (5 out of 6, only miss from 50+)
PAT %: 1st (9 out of 9)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 9th (36) 52nd last year
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 5th (13) 61st last year
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 10th (6) 81st last year
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 6th (4) 79th last year
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 6th (2) 62nd last year
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 8th (1) 81st last year

Defense:

Yards per play allowed: 50th (4.95 YPP) Note that this is a very good number, just small sample for other teams. 4.95 for a season would've been 16th last year.
Points per game allowed: 40th (18.0 PPG)
Passing yards per game allowed: 81st (250.0 YPG)
Passing completion percentage allowed: 40th (57.1%)
Passing yards per attempt: 48th (6.5 YPA)
Passer rating allowed: 41st (115.07) Again, this a great number. The rank is skewed by a lot of teams playing either 1 or 2 cupcakes. 115.07 would've finished 12th nationally LY.
Rushing yards per game allowed: 22nd (74.0 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt allowed: 29th (2.74 YPA) FANTASTIC NUMBER! Would've been 2nd in the country last year.
Sacks per game: 73rd (1.5 sacks per game)
3rd down % allowed: 32nd (33.3% allowed)
4th down % allowed: 25th (20.0% allowed)
TFLs per game: 62nd (5.5 per game)
Red Zone td % allowed: 34th (50% allowed -- 4 TDs in 8 chances) Would be a Top 20 mark in the country last year
Red Zone Scoring % allowed: 40th (75% allowed -- 6 scores in 8 chances)
Punting: 127th (35.8 Yard average) Having one blocked in 5 attempts kills this average
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 94th (24)
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 90th (8)
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 68th (3)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 1st (0)

Team Stats:

Penalties: 113th (9 penalties per game)
Penalty yards: 123rd (87.5 Yards per game)
Turnover margin: 47th (0.50 per game -- 3 takeaways, 2 giveaways)
Time of possession: 59th (30:24 per game)
Number of offensive plays: (Avg 57.5 plays per game) Will have to see how this shakes out with the new clock rules, but we haven't run a huge number of plays

Takeaways:

WOW....what a difference a year makes. The offense has been absolutely sensational through 2 games. TVD is in the Top 13 in the country in completion percentage, yards per attempt, and passer rating. He's 8th in ESPN's QBR rating, 1 spot ahead of Jordan Travis. The offensive line has only allowed 11 pressures. He has had ALL DAY to throw the ball, and the receivers are significantly improved, to go along with obviously a much better scheme. I said it all off-season and I will continue to say it, this is a high level offensive line, and when you have 5 dudes up front who absolutely kick ***, it's REALLY hard to be bad on offense. You gotta hire Josh Gattis or something. It all starts up there, and the kids and coaching has been better than advertised. As I mentioned at the top, this is a small sample, of course, but any time you're averaging 8.21 yards per play, you are one of the most efficient offenses in the country. For some context, since 2010, there have only been 2 offenses that have averaged over 8 yards per play for a season. Two, total, in the last 12 seasons. 2017 Oklahoma with Heisman winner Baker Mayfield, and 2018 Oklahoma with Heisman winner Kyler Murray. Now, I'm not saying we're going to average over 8 YPP for the whole season. But through 2 games, one being against a team with about 50 blue-chips on its defense, the other being a solid (defensively) MAC team returning 9 starters, it's incredibly impressive, considering where we were last year. The entire offensive coaching staff should be applauded, as this is a night and day group from a year ago.

On defense, a lot of the overall numbers don't look great as far as national ranks, but again, small sample size. The actual numbers we're allowing are excellent. Only 18 PPG through 2 games, and the rushing defense is MUCH better, as many of us anticipated with the addition of Guidry, who did nothing but smother the run at Marshall. We are only averaging allowing 2.74 yards per rush, and if you look historically, there are usually only about 5 or so teams in the country who give up less than 3 yards per rush for a season. And remember, sacks count as rushes, and we only have 3 official sacks, so that number is almost exclusively against designed runs, which is an incredible number. Last week, Amari Daniels had 18 carries for 62 yards (3.4 YPC), and Rueben Owens (#1 RB recruit in America) had 5 carries for 7 yards. 23 carries for 69 yards for their backs, running behind an offensive line that averages bigger than the average NFL offensive line, is simply outstanding.

I could write a thesis about how impressed I am with the coaches thus far, but we'll save that for the next few weeks as these numbers start to normalize and teams start playing more games. But through 2 weeks, I cannot say enough about how pleased I've been watching every aspect of this team, and I'll be an adult and not even complain about the punt and punt return units. Yet.

GREAT TEAM WIN on Saturday. Let's get some young kids some run in the scrimmage on Thursday, and rest up for the first road trip of the season to Philly in 2 weeks. Enjoy the **** out of what we saw Saturday and puff your chest out a little bit wearing that U around town all week, we deserve to feel like this once in a while. More to come. Go Canes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back