Week 12 Stat Roll

As always, only FBS vs FBS games are factored into these numbers.

We are now up to 127 FBS teams that have played at least 1 game.

Offense:

Yards per play: 54th (5.83 YPP)
Yards per game: 36th (436 YPG)
Points per game: 34th (33.3 PPG)
Passing yards per game: 36th (268.9 YPG)
Passing completion percentage: 42nd (63.3%)
Passing yards per attempt: 44th (7.8 YPA)
Passer rating: 34th (146.93)
Rushing yards per game: 62nd (167.1 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt: 72nd (4.14 YPA)
Sacks given up per game: 106th (3.13 per game)
3rd down conversion %: 50th (42.74%)
4th down conversion %: 16th (75% -- 9 for 12)
TFLs allowed per game: 119th (8.63 per game)
Red Zone TD %: 86th (56.2% TD rate, 18 TDs in 32 chances)
Red Zone Scoring %: 24th (29 scores in 32 chances)
Field goal %: 15th (15 out of 16)
PAT %: 1st (29 out of 29)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 20th (123)
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 15th (44)
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 12th (23)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 12th (11)
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 16th (5)
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 17th (3)
70+ Yard Scrimmage Plays: 12th (2)

Defense:

Yards per play allowed: 40th (5.37 YPP)
Points per game allowed: 37th (24.8 PPG)
Passing yards per game allowed: 68th (240.4 YPG)
Passing completion percentage allowed: 47th (60.0%)
Passing yards per attempt: 24th (6.6 YPA)
Passer rating allowed: 38th (127.49)
Rushing yards per game allowed: 50th (149.5 YPG)
Rushing yards per attempt allowed: 52nd (4.11 YPA)
Sacks per game: 32nd (2.88 sacks per game)
3rd down % allowed: 41st (37.19% allowed)
4th down % allowed: 31st (46.2% allowed)
TFLs per game: 8th (8.5 per game)
Red Zone td % allowed: 28th (53.1% allowed -- 17 TDs in 32 chances)
Red Zone Scoring % allowed: 46th (81.3% allowed -- 26 scores in 32 chances)
Punting: 8th (47.15 Yard average)
10+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 113th (133)
20+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 108th (41)
30+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 87th (16)
40+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 52nd (5)
50+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 51st (3)
60+ Yard Scrimmage Plays allowed: 29th (1)

Team Stats:

Penalties: 114th (8.5 penalties per game)
Penalty yards: 117th (75.6 Yards per game)
Turnover margin: 44th (0.38 per game -- 11 takeaways, 8 giveaways)
Time of possession: 85th (28:49 per game)
Number of offensive plays: 13th (Avg 74.75 plays per game)

Takeaways:

To me, these numbers shake out pretty well to what we're seeing week in and week out on the field. There really are not many aspects of this team that are truly elite, but also there are not many aspects that are awful, either. It's a pretty well rounded, above average football team. And many of us on here all spring summer just thought if we could get into the top third of the country in most of the offensive metrics, we'd have a pretty good team. Well, we're MUCH better across the board than we were a year ago. Not quite top third in YPP, but we're scoring 33.3 points a game. That's the best number since 2002, and last year we scored 22.6 PPG against FBS teams. 22.6 to 33.3 is a **** of a jump, and I expect those numbers to continue to go up over the next 3 games, as GT, Wake, and UNC are all 65th or worse in scoring defense.

So the offense has been markedly better, albeit not truly elite. And the defense has certainly taken a step back from a borderline great unit at times to just one that has been generally decent to good. There may be something to be said about the performances in the 2nd half, and especially the 4th quarter. Pitt scored 0 points in the 4th quarter and gained less than 50 yards on 3 drives, UVA scored 7 in the 4th quarter (and only 7 for the whole 2nd half), NC State got 3 in the 4th quarter and really it was a FG on the first play of the quarter as the 3rd expired when their drive stalled, the rest of the quarter was a beat down, and we shut out VT in the 4th quarter last week. So basically, the 4th quarter of the last 4 games, we've given up 1 TD. I'd prefer to be up by more points in the 4th quarter so these performances don't matter as much, but I do believe there's something to be said for the unit clearly performing its best at the end of games.

All in all, it's been a really fun year so far. I really hope we get to play the next 3 games at full strength, I can see the offense just exploding for a ton of fireworks to end the year, and at 10-1 there's a real good chance we get a NY6 game, which is a **** of an improvement off last season. And headed into next year, we need to continue to improve on the OL, first and foremost. These sack and TFL numbers are approaching last season's marks. That needs to stop. Continue to develop the young backers. I think there's a reason you see us playing so poorly on giving up explosive plays. Our defense is either a TFL or the opponent gets 10 yards. The backers need to be better, and we need to stop playing so loose on the back end. And we need to ensure we either keep Hedley or find a competent replacement, as well as little Borregales better be close to as good as his brother. What an insane improvement from the 2018 punting and 2019 place-kicking. That's how you win close games. Flip field position, and don't miss kicks.

Finish strong. Recruiting is going very, very well. Keep that momentum into December and finish this year 10-1 and we're probably playing in the Peach Bowl or Orange Bowl with a chance to go 11-1 with a lone loss to Clemson in their house. That would be a tremendous season after what we watched a year ago.

Advertisement
I agree with everything. This has to stop tho. You are pretty much losing a full drive from your own 25 on average.

I agree. And this is 10000% NOT the attitude to have, and I thank god our coaches don’t share the same feelings but I’ve almost given up on penalties. No matter who the staff is, no matter who the kids are, Miami is and seemingly will always be synonymous with dumb penalties.

Terrible coaches, cheating refs, bias, the kids, the style, how the kids are coaches as young players. Pick your excuse. I have no idea what the root of it is. But my god is it disheartening to see the same **** game after game, year after year. I legitimately almost had a stroke after the Bolden penalty last week. I honestly had to sit down for a second, that’s how enraged I was and how high my blood pressure went. So god**** selfish, and it’s been the same way forever it seems.

Advertisement
We have equalled my preseason expectations for wins. (7). I tried to be realistic with expectations based on what we had coming back. Horrendous OL and WR,s. Lost half our starters on defense. Just hope we are trending towards being in picture for play offs. Was not a fan of Manny being hired. He has shown he can adapt and change things wrong but has a ways to go. Hope he proves my initial thoughts wrong. I will cherish any win no matter who the coach is.

7-1 and we are the most undisciplined and most penalized pretty impressive if u ask me. Again idk how to correct it but if I was head coach after a dumb penalty I would bench the kid and put a Dumbass sticker on his helmet that he can earn to get off with good smart play. That’s just in game in practice the penalty for making dumb mistakes would be awful

I agree. And this is 10000% NOT the attitude to have, and I thank god our coaches don’t share the same feelings but I’ve almost given up on penalties. No matter who the staff is, no matter who the kids are, Miami is and seemingly will always be synonymous with dumb penalties.

Terrible coaches, cheating refs, bias, the kids, the style, how the kids are coaches as young players. Pick your excuse. I have no idea what the root of it is. But my god is it disheartening to see the same **** game after game, year after year. I legitimately almost had a stroke after the Bolden penalty last week. I honestly had to sit down for a second, that’s how enraged I was and how high my blood pressure went. So god**** selfish, and it’s been the same way forever it seems.
The dumb penalties are mind boggling. And it’s not just SoFl kids or any particular group. Bolden, Phillips, Roche have all had them. Pre-snap and unsportsmanlike/personal fouls are especially frustrating.

7-1 and we are the most undisciplined and most penalized pretty impressive if u ask me. Again idk how to correct it but if I was head coach after a dumb penalty I would bench the kid and put a Dumbass sticker on his helmet that he can earn to get off with good smart play. That’s just in game in practice the penalty for making dumb mistakes would be awful
I like the idea of a dunce sticker with the opportunity to get it removed!

Advertisement
I believe in the games we kept our penalties down we won by double digits correct me if I’m wrong

Not really. I didn't see much of a correlation.

I did see, though, that we had 15 penalties against Clemson. What a wonderful recipe to beat the #1 team in the country, on the road. 15 ******* penalties.

That was the most that we've had in a game since 2015, when we had 23 (TWENTY-THREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) in a game vs Duke. And yes, that was the Corn Elder return game. Halloween night, 2015. Won 30-27 on the luckiest play in the history of the sport after committing twenty-three god**** penalties.

Advertisement
Honestly, If we can get to 10-1 I'm willing to throw all other stats out the window this season. 10 wins would be a massive success, especially considering how much COVID has affected the season...but I still can't help but feel like we need to make some changes on the defensive staff, and I hope that Manny doesn't get complacent on that side of the ball just because we're winning games.

Advertisement
With Baker the D is what it is so no need to comment too deeply but we so badly last year wanted a top 40 offense and we got one. If we would stop with the zone read 90% of run plays I suspect we would be quite a few spots better in TFL allowed as well. Could be special if both sides of the ball continue to improve

One dunce sticker, as requested...

Attachments

• il_794xN.2629845109_5pa8.jpg
    il_794xN.2629845109_5pa8.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2
The penalties are the most glaring statistic and that's why Manny needs to be terminated. The guy has ZERO LEADERSHIP SKILLS and has too much tolerance for dumb stupid mistakes.

Advertisement
Back