Wealthiest Grads (UM #20)

Richard Sherman is a friend & frat of mine. I actually met him through his father. His father is a big fan of Stanford b/c they balanced academics w/ athletics. Rich will tell u, Stanford is ultra competitive from the academics & athletics side. Not just football, but golf, basketball, yachting, rowing, volleyball, baseball…it don’t matter. They expect their athletes to thrive in the classroom & on the field. It’s a reason they have 137 total national titles across all sports.
After UM I went to one of the top schools in the northeast for graduate study. I can sincerely tell you that sports at no point was in conversation while I was there. Except may be at the school gym. 🤣

Advertisement
It would never happen because it would mean taking athletes who don't meet their academic standards. The Ivies still don't even offer athletic scholarships.
Certainly football would be a challenge but they could easily do this for basketball and probably even baseball.
Who needs a scholarship when there is million dollar NIL deal with Microsoft.

The schools with lots of self made UHNW alums usually have really strong entrepreneurship programs. Lots of extra-curricular entrepreneurship programs with school support. I am an old fart that left UM long time ago. Hopefully the school has caught up in this respect. There were a lot of old money at UM while I was there though. I remember the Ferraris and lambos near the student union circle drive well.
What you are likely referring to are incubation programs, two of the best being MIT and Stanford. The U actually started one a few years ago, and there are several small public companies now as a result.

The program is still fledging, BUT I think it has a very bright future. As part of the migration/tax megatrend to the Sun Belt, a lot of young smart talent has moved to Florida, and there is now actually a fair amount of venture capital in South Florida.

What you are likely referring to are incubation programs, two of the best being MIT and Stanford. The U actually started one a few years ago, and there are several small public companies now as a result.

The program is still fledging, BUT I think it has a very bright future. As part of the migration/tax megatrend to the Sun Belt, a lot of young smart talent has moved to Florida, and there is now actually a fair amount of venture capital in South Florida.
That's really good to know. Hope they succeed!

That's really good to know. Hope they succeed!
I do think it will succeed, as even biotech start ups are starting to move to Florida. Here is two examples of South Florida based companies that are on the upswing (not UM related but as an example of the market) :

p.s. For the lawyers on here, this is not a solicitation, past performance is not indicative, yada yada yada. In any case, they are private, you cannot invest in them.

Advertisement
If the alums at Harvard, Yale, Princeton and in particular Stanford decide they care about sports and want to get into the NIL game, it’s a wrap for everyone else.

I was thinking the same thing, since much of this is now about ego, and we know these Harvard and Standford grads have as big egos as anyone else. It's not up to the alumni, though. I had a conversation about this with another poster on here who is a Harvard and Stanford alumnus, and he pointed out it's more about the administration and faculty than alumni.

The administrations of the Ivies will never get back into scholarship sports, they don't see it as core to their mission. So there goes Harvard, Yale and Princeton. As far as Stanford or Northwestern go, they will never reduce admissions standards to the point where their football teams can put together 85 blue chippers. Maybe they can do somethign in basketball like Duke did. But not football.

Notre Dame has a shot to collect enough elite footballers who also are (relatively) good students, given their Catholic school feeding system. Most of the other top schools won't play.

If the alums at Harvard, Yale, Princeton and in particular Stanford decide they care about sports and want to get into the NIL game, it’s a wrap for everyone else.
That's why Miami needs to create an UNHOLY DUOPOLY of program sponsorship.

(Say this in your best Optimus Prime voice)

Ruiz

Musk

WE FUGGIN BÏTCHES.

I was thinking the same thing, since much of this is now about ego, and we know these Harvard and Standford grads have as big egos as anyone else. It's not up to the alumni, though. I had a conversation about this with another poster on here who is a Harvard and Stanford alumnus, and he pointed out it's more about the administration and faculty than alumni.

The administrations of the Ivies will never get back into scholarship sports, they don't see it as core to their mission. So there goes Harvard, Yale and Princeton. As far as Stanford or Northwestern go, they will never reduce admissions standards to the point where their football teams can put together 85 blue chippers. Maybe they can do somethign in basketball like Duke did. But not football.

Notre Dame has a shot to collect enough elite footballers who also are (relatively) good students, given their Catholic school feeding system. Most of the other top schools won't play.
You are right. But they could kill it in basketball. 12 players.

True. Faculties are very powerful at these institutions. Also, they have substantial amount of non-American faculty and students, so they may not be familiar with American football. Other sports may be.

Advertisement
True. Faculties are very powerful at these institutions. Also, they have substantial amount of non-American faculty and students, so they may not be familiar with American football. Other sports may be.
I'm sure they can put together a world championship team of that Harry Potter broom stick game.

I'm sure they can put together a world championship team of that Harry Potter broom stick game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I look at this list and there are really only 4 UHNWI schools for certain that will put significant effort into NIL for college football, with another 2 that could and probably will but haven't been active as of yet. So 6 total.

The others who will ante up are schools that make up for the lack of Ultra High Net Worth Individuals by quantity over quality of alumni, and where football is a fundamental part of their identify (e.g., Bama, LSU, Georgia, TAMU, Ohio State, possibly Penn State). I've written it elsewhere, but I don't think FSU and probably even Florida hang with the big pools of NIL money going foward. I expect that the rest of the ACC, including Clemson, won't have the will to fund football to the level of these top programs.

College football is being rewritten right now. Not sure it survives another 2 decades, tbh. But I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Schools that will compete heavily in football via NIL
20. Miami
16. Michigan
13 Texas
8. USC

TBD on fund commitment to NIL / Player Pay
17. UCLA
15. Notre Dame

Schools that will not compete heavily in football via NIL
19. Boston University
18. UVA
14. Princeton
12. Cornell
11. California, Berkeley
10. Yale
9. University of Chicago
7. Northwestern
6. MIT
5. NYU
4. Coumbia
3. Penn
2. Stanford
1. Harvard

Posted this last a few years ago, and Miami still ranks in the Top 20 as of 2022.

UCLA at 17
Meechigan at 16
ND at 15
Texas at 13
Cal at 11
USC comes in at 8
Northwestern at 7
Stanford at 2

That list is full of speculation. Numbers either depressed for some or inflated for others. And there are some big fish alumni that are very private and no one knows their worth, yet they still give.

Advertisement
Back