We treat culture like a cuss word but…

Dghustla

Junior
When comparing Mario and Jimbo, it's clear that blaming "poor culture" is the go-to excuse for coaches who can't get their act together. Some coaches, like Manny Diaz, can't even spell "culture," while others, like Al Golden, redefine it... for the worse.

Quick Takes:

Jimbo's Talent Show:
Sure, Jimbo might have the best D-line that money can buy. But why do they play like they're waiting for a bus? Where's the passion? The drive? The... communication?

FSU Flashback: Jimbo inherited a solid foundation from Bobby Bowden at FSU. But instead of building on it, he seemed more interested in a DIY demolition. While he managed to snag a championship, the cracks were showing. Remember when Jameis Winston, suspended by Jimbo, strutted out in full gear, ready to play? Even his players knew Jimbo's threats had the weight of a feather. (I loved every minute of it)

Exit Strategy: Jimbo left FSU, pointing fingers at everyone but himself. His excuse? FSU wasn't willing to pay up to compete with the "big boys." Read: "Why won't they pay me more than Saban for my one-hit wonder?"

TAMU: Now at TAMU, despite a Scrooge McDuck vault of money, success seems as elusive as a unicorn.

Bottom Line:
While Jimbo's journey might be a lesson in cultural missteps, let's give a nod to Mario. He might not be the "schematic genius" of our dreams, but when it comes to leadership and crafting a winning culture, he's the real deal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back