We took 6 hours

Why do we always have to go back to this same list just because they have Miami ties? When Alabama was stagnant after Gene Stallings until Saban (and really post-Bryant other than a couple of years under Gene Stallings), they had an obsessive prerequisite of hiring an Alabama guy or someone who played under Bryant. Ray Perkins, Gene Stallings, Mike DuBose, and Mike Shula all played under Bryant and a couple coached under him too. Stallings had a couple of good years, but the program was middling while they tried to recreate and focus on the past. Then they got rid of that mentality, hired the best coach possible, and have dominated the last decade.

We are pretty much stuck in that same cycle. Before Jimmy Johnson became THE Miami guy, he was an Oklahoma State guy with no ties to the school. It would be great if we could get over this obsession of a "Miami guy" and just hire the best coach to develop our talent and win some games.
i liked mark stoops. i wouldnt call him a miami guy.
Mario is a miami guy per se but the man has been around at this point.
Manny was a miami fan.

Advertisement
i liked mark stoops. i wouldnt call him a miami guy.
Mario is a miami guy per se but the man has been around at this point.
Manny was a miami fan.

Agreed... though Stoops had the time here. I am just saying, it seems like every time we put an emphasis on ties to the program and if someone is a Miami guy. I wish we would focus less on that. Maybe an outside perspective would help (though it clearly didn't with Fat Al). I guess my big takeaway is from Coker forward, were we in competition with literally a single other school for our coach? I don't recall with either Golden or Richt, but I don't think we were. I guess Temple with Diaz, but I would like to think we should not be competing with Temple for our coaches.

I am at a loss with this program and where it is going at this point.

Edit, I will also say that while I find @caneinorlando to be one of the most insufferable posters on the site, his uncle was my first choice when we hired Richt or Golden, maybe both, the coaching searches kind of blend together at this point. It would have been with Diaz too, though I have no idea if he wanted it at this point. But it was not because he was a Miami Guy... it was because I genuinely thought he was by far the best candidate out there and would have done remarkably well here. The fact that he had familiarity with the school was just icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Manny was a miami fan.

Thank you for making this point. I wish people would stop calling Manny a "Miami Guy." He is not. Although this has nothing to do with whether he will succeed or not as a coach here, it still bugs me when people label him like that.

Thanks for that insight.

Makes me ponder:
Richt; despite all his accomplishments was bashed bigtime by much of our fans and community... how did this Coaching Community feel about Richt (during his last year or 2 here?) TY.
Who is this "coaching community"?

Advertisement
In related news, I just had a massive Bowel movement.
I shall never include oat-meal, arugula, blueberries, brocolli, black beans and cabbage within a 24 hour window.
Wow! Did it just come on all of a sudden, and it was it a large single blast? Not a series of a lot of smaller partial drops, I assume?

Did you go to some exotic fast food place or did you just put it together yourself at home?

Advertisement
Back