We R 124th in 3rd Down Conversions ... lol

TyWebb

Senior
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/

The Hurricanes rank 124th out of 126 FBS teams on third down conversions (24.14 percent). Miami went 2-for-13 on third down against Duke. Coley said the key to improvement will be having more success on first and second down and not getting into third and long situations.

Coley said in practice the last two weeks -- when the team does third down drills -- if somebody doesn't convert "they're off the field."

"We're putting an emphasis on it," Coley said. "It's important obviously because it sustains drives. We have goals we want to get to. The last two weeks [before Duke] were pretty good. We were above 50 percent. For us, if we get 10 third down opportunities and we're five out of 10 that's championship football across the country."

Advertisement
The development of Yearby is key here and its why having Gus playing so poorly is an issue.

Duke had 25 carries last game but it never seemed like he got in a rhythm. Our 3rd down issues can be solved by running Duke a few times in a row. However, the coaches seem to be trying to protect him.

If we can get 35-40 carries out of Duke and Yearby a game we should be better on third down.

How does Coley figure we were over 50% for the two weeks before Duke? I think we were something like 9 of 22.

we need start running the ball with duke on third down if it is 3rd and short. Stop giving the ball to gus edwards..... Is it me or does the staff take duke johnson off the field sometimes in the redzone? i always see gus edwards in the redzone....

Advertisement
Stop using Gus in 3rd and short. Contemplate a QB sneak once in a while. It seems like the last time we ran the QB into the line for a tough yard Steve Walsh was the QB.

Also, why don't we run hitches with Dorsett. That would be a much more effective high percentage throw than the bubble screen.

And if we are running the bubble screen I want to see it with herb waters who is much more physical and quicker to get up field than coley.

Both would help us on third down

we need start running the ball with duke on third down if it is 3rd and short. Stop giving the ball to gus edwards..... Is it me or does the staff take duke johnson off the field sometimes in the redzone? i always see gus edwards in the redzone....

I thought I was going crazy everytime we enter the redzone Duke gets taken out.

Advertisement
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/

Coley said the key to improvement will be having more success on first and second down and not getting into third and long situations....

orly.jpg

I remember before the season started how coach said this was a main emphasis in the offseason to get fixed. Said staff was working their tails off...

Great to see all that hard work paying off

The down that continues to **** me off is second down. If we have a good first down gain....and we know how bad we are on 3rd down....why do we waste a play trying to hit a home run? 2nd and 4 turns into 3rd and 4, when 2nd and 4 should become 3rd and 2 at worst.

Stop using Gus in 3rd and short. Contemplate a QB sneak once in a while. It seems like the last time we ran the QB into the line for a tough yard Steve Walsh was the QB.

Although I do think a sneak would actually work, I'd rather not risk having to play Heaps at QB.

Advertisement
NCAA only list 125 FBS teams for 2014.. We are 124 on their site. FIU is 125th.

At least we aren't as bad as our soon to be "rival".... Yet.

Advertisement
considering how soft our schedule has been makes these numbers even worse. everyone went from hating coley to loving him after we looked good against nebraska. i was pleasantly surprised, but still skeptical, wondering if he could perform consistently. no doubt that was much better than we've seen from him, but for me the jury is still out on coley. even nebraska fans were hating on their own defense. they may end up being a bad defense, who knows. we looked terrible against an average louisville defense, terrible against FAMU considering the opponent, arkansas state a little better but still somewhat disappointing, and then other than a couple drives against duke it was back to looking pretty bad. and that duke team looked AWFUL. like everyone else, i think we throw WAY too many bubble screens. we arent successful enough in our intermediate passing game. and his playcalling is strange sometimes. like the 3rd and goal from the 15 draw play we called against nebraska, or many other examples.

our offense needs to be WAY more productive and consistent for me to be sold on coley long term.

SIAP but I went back and looked at our 3rd and shorts:

3 and 1: Duke run for 5
3 and 2: Kaaya pass incomplete (threw incomplete on 2 and 2)
3 and 3: Kaaya pass incomplete
3rd and 3: Gus run for -1 (throw on 2 and 3 incomplete)

We also threw on a 3rd and 4 after pass incomplete on 2 and 4

This is after we had a 3 and 4 in four down territory at Neb and threw twice in a row (kaaya picked on 4 and 4)

This is pretty ****** play-calling. Coley has too much confidence in kaaya or he is too cute. Either way this isn't helping our numbers or our defense

Last edited:
It's a major, major concern I've had with situational playcalling going back to Fisch's era. We've had 2 straight OCs who are way too pass and gadget play-happy, and refuse to run the ball in obvious short yardage situations with the right personnel. It's fine to mix in a pass every now and then in short yardage to keep the defense guessing, but clearly our best option on offense is Duke, so I will never understand our reticence to put the ball in his hands in key moments. I mean, hasn't he been bulking up with spots like this in mind? And the Gus Edwards experiment needs to end YESTERDAY. He simply isn't a good runner at this level, for a multitude of reasons. Duke and Yearby should get all the touches that matter until further notice.

Yeah, it's extremely frustrating, to put it mildly.

SIAP but I went back and looked at our 3rd and shorts:

3 and 1: Duke run for 5
3 and 2: Kaaya pass incomplete (threw incomplete on 2 and 2)
3 and 3: Kaaya pass incomplete
3rd and 3: Gus run for -1 (throw on 2 and 3 incomplete)

We also threw on a 3rd and 4 after pass incomplete on 2 and 4

This is after we had a 3 and 4 in four down territory at Neb and threw twice in a row (kaaya picked on 4 and 4)

This is pretty ****** play-calling. Coley has too much confidence in kaaya or he is too cute. Either way this isn't helping our numbers or our defense

Two things that get us into trouble:

1) Predictability - Our personnel groupings still tip our hand.
2) Grab bagging - We are the opposite of a blackjack player with a hot hand or, more relevant, the Malzahns and Chip Kellys that will continue to run something until it's stopped. Rather, we seem to feel like, if we used something, we have to stay far more clever than the opponent by saving it for later.

Kaaya's gonna make Coley look pretty good, though.

Advertisement
Back