We Need to Keep Talent Home

• Thread starter Deleted member 23667
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23667

It's been seven years since a Florida football school won a national title. That's the longest stretch since the Canes won the state's first national title in 1983.

SEASONCHAMPIONSELECTING ORGANIZATION
2019LSUCFP
2018ClemsonCFP
2017AlabamaCFP
2016ClemsonCFP
2015AlabamaCFP
2014Ohio StateCFP
2013Florida StateBCS
2012AlabamaBCS
2011AlabamaBCS
2010AuburnBCS
2009AlabamaBCS
2008FloridaBCS
2007LSUBCS
2006FloridaBCS
2005TexasBCS
2004Southern California*BCS
2003LSU, Southern CaliforniaBCS, AP, FWAA
2002Ohio StateBCS
2001Miami (Fla.)BCS
2000OklahomaBCS
1999Florida StateBCS
1998TennesseeBCS
1997Michigan, NebraskaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/ESPN
1996FloridaAP, FWAA, NFF,USA/CNN
1995NebraskaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1994NebraskaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1993Florida St.AP, FWAA,NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1992AlabamaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1991Washington, Miami (Fla.)FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI,AP
1990Colorado, Georgia TechFWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, AP, UPI
1989Miami (Fla.)AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1988Notre DameAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1987Miami (Fla.)AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1986Penn St.AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1985OklahomaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1984Brigham YoungAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1983Miami (Fla.)AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

In fact, from 87 to 2001, college football didn't go more than 3 years without at least one Florida school winning a title.

But things have been difficult as of late. This reflects top talent leaving the state. Look on any of the non-Florida champions rosters and you are bound to find Florida players starting.

I wonder what can be done to keep that talent home? National titles mean big money so this is essentially money leaving our economy. The only thing I can think of would be some kind state-funded monetary benefit to the players and/or parents. The NCAA would not be happy with that but I don't think they can do anything about that. Even then, it might not be enough to compete with the bags and big money being offered elsewhere.

Does anybody have any other ideas?

Look forward to the discussion. GO CANES!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
angry jason terry GIF

There's a lot of what ifs here. But.

How do universities keep local talent home currently? Well, they simply charge "Out of state tuition" to students from other states.

Based on a what if: The state of Florida could give more money to Players that stay in Florida.

Just an idea. But it raises a point of why are students dinged for going out of state, but not players? What rich mf lobbied for that one?

Literally. If I see Jaelen Phillips get vertical up the field instead of playing his run fit I’m driving to wherever they are, ripping the headset off Manny, and coaching them myself. **** Manny’s dopey scheme.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Lol. In contrary to what Dmoney will have you believe, the SFLA kids are the ones who are "mentally weak" and the divas. It almost feels like our better players come from other places in the country. (Ex: King, DJ Dallas, Bolden, Jordan even though he's somewhat of a diva)

I know everyone is trying to claim the talent gap as what's stopping us from being great, but I really don't think thats the case. When we play teams with inferior talent, we always make it much more of a game than it should be. (Ex: The Virginia game this season).
That leads me to believe it isn't talent that is our main issue. Sure, we need to stack chips and load up on talent and build depth. But the real issue I'm thinking has moreso to do with either development, coaching, preparation, adjustments, etc. Something along those lines.

Advertisement
It's been seven years since a Florida football school won a national title. That's the longest stretch since the Canes win the state's first national title in 1983.

2019LSUCFP
2018ClemsonCFP
2017AlabamaCFP
2016ClemsonCFP
2015AlabamaCFP
2014Ohio StateCFP
2013Florida StateBCS
2012AlabamaBCS
2011AlabamaBCS
2010AuburnBCS
2009AlabamaBCS
2008FloridaBCS
2007LSUBCS
2006FloridaBCS
2005TexasBCS
2002Ohio StateBCS
2001Miami (Fla.)BCS
2000OklahomaBCS
1999Florida StateBCS
1998TennesseeBCS

In fact, from 87 to 2001, college football didn't go more than 3 years without at least one Florida school winning a title.

But things have been difficult as of late. This reflects top talent leaving the state. Look on any of the non-Florida champions rosters and you are bound to find Florida players starting.

I wonder what can be done to keep that talent home? National titles mean big money so this is essentially money leaving our economy. The only thing I can think of would be some kind state-funded monetary benefit to the players and/or parents. The NCAA would not be happy with that but I don't think they can do anything about that. Even then, it might not be enough to compete with the bags and big money being offered elsewhere.

Georgia spent $7M on recruiting over a three-year span going into 2019, after dropping $200,000,000 into their athletics programs—mostly football.

Alabama spends just shy of that $6M and Tennessee is around $5M. Clemson is up there, too—and everybody is dropping bags.

In short, players aren't arbitrarily just leaving South Florida to play elsewhere—they are heavily-recruited and incentivized to go.

Period, end of story.

Run this stat all day long—doesn't change the WHY this has been happening. Anyone can identify the problem—how does it get fixed without the financial resources to fix it; namely a large alumni base that writes monster-sized checks—living and dying with their respective football programs.

Georgia's big investment came mostly from alumni dollars—their Magill Society adding thousands of new members in 2018, with a minimum donation of $25,000 annually.

A lot of Miami fans are still rocking old Nike gear from the early 2000's and haven't written the program a check in their lifetime—but are the first to get mad that the university doesn't invest more in football. (Always rocking those new Miami Vice HEAT jerseys when out, though.)

I seriously doubt South Florida kids even comprise 5% of those teams.

Bama isn't winning a title this year because of Patrick Surtain.
Alabama's current roster has 16 players from Florida. 16/131 players is 12% of the full roster. Assuming they are all scholarship kids, then 16/85 is 19% of their scholarship roster. That's a huge number!

But it's not just a numbers game.. outside schools also routinely take some of our best and most elite athletes. Ohio State does it, Bama obviously, Clemson. Without even looking I'd venture to say that all their championship rosters had Florida 4* and 5* kids on there, kids that would've been Canes if not Noles or Gators back in the 80s and 90s. That makes a huge difference for us and for the state in general. The state with the most talent should be winning the most ships. That used to be the norm but not anymore.

Lol. In contrary to what Dmoney will have you believe, the SFLA kids are the ones who are "mentally weak" and the divas. It almost feels like our better players come from other places in the country. (Ex: King, DJ Dallas, Bolden, Jordan even though he's somewhat of a diva)

I know everyone is trying to claim the talent gap as what's stopping us from being great, but I really don't think thats the case. When we play teams with inferior talent, we always make it much more of a game than it should be. (Ex: The Virginia game this season).
That leads me to believe it isn't talent that is our main issue. Sure, we need to stack chips and load up on talent and build depth. But the real issue I'm thinking has moreso to do with either development, coaching, preparation, adjustments, etc. Something along those lines.
Our best players are from elsewhere, because we don’t get the best players from S Fla .

Alabama's current roster has 16 players from Florida. 16/131 players is 12% of the full roster. Assuming they are all scholarship kids, then 16/85 is 19% of their scholarship roster. That's a huge number!

But it's not just a numbers game.. outside schools also routinely take some of our best and most elite athletes. Ohio State does it, Bama obviously, Clemson. Without even looking I'd venture to say that all their championship rosters had Florida 4* and 5* kids on there, kids that would've been Canes if not Noles or Gators back in the 80s and 90s. That makes a huge difference for us and for the state in general. The state with the most talent should be winning the most ships. That used to be the norm but not anymore.
How about getting qualified coaches and investing in the football programs? This isn’t a secret. We know exactly why kids would rather play for saban.

Advertisement
I'll agree to that. But what I'm saying is, I'm not sure that even if we got them we'd know what to do with them, basically. Lets see if some of this next class pans out.
I posted earlier that the best way to keep the best S Fla players home, schools need to invest in elite coaching and recruiting. That’s the bottom line.

South Florida

Advertisement
If you are a top local recruit- who do you take notice of as they walk through the door- Saban-Dabo-or Diaz. I would be willing to bet that most kids can’t name Miami’s HC.

If you are talking about the Dalvin Cooks, Patrick Peterson’s, Amari Coopers, and Bosa brothers of the world sure.

Those kids back in the day always came to the U bc they were nationally underrated. They aren’t anymore, and so the big schools now come scoop them.

If you are talking about the Joe Yearby’s of the world, then no, it’s not critical to keep them home. There is nothing special about the four star kid from Dade versus the four star kid from New Jersey. Miami takes too many kids from south Florida that aren’t talented enough to make up for their lack of coaching they received in HS from the garbage programs down here.

It's been seven years since a Florida football school won a national title. That's the longest stretch since the Canes won the state's first national title in 1983.

2019LSUCFP
2018ClemsonCFP
2017AlabamaCFP
2016ClemsonCFP
2015AlabamaCFP
2014Ohio StateCFP
2013Florida StateBCS
2012AlabamaBCS
2011AlabamaBCS
2010AuburnBCS
2009AlabamaBCS
2008FloridaBCS
2007LSUBCS
2006FloridaBCS
2005TexasBCS
2002Ohio StateBCS
2001Miami (Fla.)BCS
2000OklahomaBCS
1999Florida StateBCS
1998TennesseeBCS

Did you ever think that they play football outside of FL and most of those other teams have less than 5 players from FL. I know its hard to believe that teams can win without a bunch of SFL divas

Advertisement
Back