We May Actually Be Polishing the Sneaker

So you don't trust Mario?

He went through and extensive hiring process, and chose Gattis, and you're saying it was a mistake 3 games into the season?

If Mario was that extensive, and made a bad OC hire, that is concerning.

Gattis was not at the top of the list. He eventually had to make a hire.

Advertisement
Gattis was not at the top of the list. He eventually had to make a hire.
Well I would think Mario's list regardless of order was strong with the opp to coach TVD, and make a lot of money for what Miami was offering.

He was still A Top candidate regardless if he was 1,2,3, or 4.

He still hired him. If he hired a mistake it's a concern.

I remember others saying that Gattis wouldn’t be here long, because he would be a head coach soon, that he adjusts to the players he has, yada yada yada.

I for one just need to see improvement week to week. So far I have not, but we are stuck with what we have for now and cross my fingers that we make some changes soon. Just picking up the pace of play would be an improvement!
It’s tough to see improvement week to week with how the schedule laid out.
I wouldn’t be feeling any better if we played aTm first, then So Miss and BCU.

After our scrimmage next week, we have a string of October games against some mediocre teams.
My guess is that the O will be much better in the RZ when we beat UNC, even though we’ll probably give up about 30 on D. Even with laying 40 on UNC, I’m going to question Gattis RZ O moving forward (against good defenses).

At VT will be interesting as that’s the next “hostile” road game. Their #4 p5 defensive ranking is very deceiving but I’m still curious as to how effective we are when we’re close.

Bottom line is….to me, Game 1 was aTm.
Let’s see where we go from here, starting 10/8.

Last edited:
I am confused, pretty much everyone agrees our WR's can't catch a cold, but everyone wants a different offense than what we have seen. I see "throw this guy in or that guy and see what they can do" but I have to trust in the coaching staff that those guys you want to see are on the bench because they are not even as good as the guys you are already disappointed in.
Great point. Throw the ball moar to guys who can’t catch it. Makes sense to me.

Such a welcoming perspective from someone with a clue. A nice change given how most of the conversations went this week.

Advertisement
Calm down cupcake

It's not an assumption, it's an opinion.

Like I said, I'm optimistic
Cupcake?
giphy.gif

I agree with OP....nobody thought we'd win that game...privately, the vast majority just didn't want to get embarrassed on primetime, which we didn't. An L is an L and so long as we didn't get punished, I'm good with it because I was one of those who had this as an L.

We didn't get into the end zone vs we didn't get into the red zone....which problem would you rather have....yes, Mario prefers a conservative ball control style of offense, and after FINALLY getting to see the Air Raid break records at UM, here we are again with a pro style OFF system, I'm not thrilled about it either BUT....

Before that game had someone told me that we'd outgain A&M by 150 total yards, start 4 drives inside our own 10 (2 of which on the 1 yard line) COUPLED WITH at least 4 trips to the redzone.....I'd be an ecstatic man BECAUSE I'd know the result was 1 of 2 things, either we lost a close game that came down to the wire or we won the game.

Mario has proven the main ingredient and that's proof of concept, that if the players come, they will be plenty successful if they make the plays
There's a reality that we'd like to see some of those Lashlee concepts from last year because they were so successful with TVD but we also have to know some of those drives that started at the 2 or the 10 would have been swift 3 and outs that had A&M starting in plus territory.

Gattis has a lot to work on but remembering the Lashlee experience as only what we did vs Pitt and not the 7 points in the first half vs a terrible FSU team is incomplete.

"Can't polish a sneaker" has been my opinion of the Canes OL for years now. I have blistered them. Particularly the veterans of this group starting back with watching blitzers go by untouched at LSU when even a hand-check would have helped, and then at that sack-fest at UF. But I saw some actual holes being opened against an SEC front Sat night. Yes, could have done without Clark's mistakes, but it was the best performance by a Cane's OL against a decent team in years.

This is the position group I have wanted to see get up off life-support for years now. It's what I know and I know it's the hardest position group in football to find five guys that fit and can play physical football as a group. They were so much more physical Sat.

The experts can argue about throwing, catching and game calling. But I was, and still am, glad we have a former O-Lineman as HC in a program that obsesses about Skills, but seldom gave thought to why it wasn't winning with them. I didn't know that much about Mirabal, but he said his OL wouldn't be a weakness - Brass Balls of a statement with what he had to work with - but so far, they haven't been. ST and WR group own that.

We win at LSU and UF with this OL, and should have won this one, based on stats. The RBs had some confidence hitting the hole.

Be honest, most of us (who actually have a relationship with reality) penciled this in as an L in those 9-3 or 10-2 predictions for this season. This staff scrambled to fill huge holes, introduce a new staff, system and culture. I know everyone's tired of waiting, I am too. But I'm a Canes fan looking for positives this year and I am encouraged with this been-a-problem-OL-group's showing thus far.
Amen. The 10-12-14 play drives(or whatever they were) were a big plus for me, even though there was no TD. We clearly belonged on that field. Anyone who thought there would be no growing pains is crazy. Granted, I expect improvement with TVD & WR's timing and execution. They know they need to do better. Make those corrections and the chunk plays will come. Specials need to tighten it up. TS knows better and should be humbled and laser-focused now. Sometimes a gut punch is good for ya, That goes for the team also.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Amen. The 10-12-14 play drives(or whatever they were) were a big plus for me, even though there was no TD. We clearly belonged on that field. Anyone who thought there would be no growing pains is crazy. Granted, I expect improvement with TVD & WR's timing and execution. They know they need to do better. Make those corrections and the chunk plays will come. Specials need to tighten it up. TS knows better and should be humbled and laser-focused now. Sometimes a gut punch is good for ya, That goes for the team also.

Go Canes!
I think maybe TS feels like he needs to make a big play, and that's not a great thing in a returner. I said it then and I'll say it now, there's wisdom in all those fair catches Barrios made. Everybody was ****ed at him, but he never turned the ball over, and as we just saw, that can be so bad that the possible TD from the return isn't always worth it.

Advertisement
Back