We have a legit shot to win it all

Advertisement
Ehhhh. I love our starting 5 but I don’t think we’re deep enough to win the ACC, let alone win it all. Happy to be proven wrong and I’m excited to see how/if our bench comes on throughout the season.
Agreed. Love our guard play but we continue to get out rebounded and turn the ball over a lot. We have too many stretches of sloppy play. It’s early in year and hope we clean these up by end of year. I love that we push ball but it creates so many turnovers.

We only have 5 Players. The other guys are "give the starter 2 minutes rest". What I really find amazing is the hype surrounding the Freshman George. Based upon my observations over these past four games, George doesn't bring anything special to the team.

I trust he will develop, but right now it's more hype than real player.

Advertisement
We only have 5 Players. The other guys are "give the starter 2 minutes rest". What I really find amazing is the hype surrounding the Freshman George. Based upon my observations over these past four games, George doesn't bring anything special to the team.

You wrote that after George was 2/3 with 5 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists in 15 minutes??

Last year our depth was a weakness.

This year it is currently ok and has the potential to be very good by March.

Today was a glimpse of what George can be and I expect to see Watson have a break out game soon as well.

That’s 2 6’8” guys who can play 2-4.

Ehhhh. I love our starting 5 but I don’t think we’re deep enough to win the ACC, let alone win it all. Happy to be proven wrong and I’m excited to see how/if our bench comes on throughout the season.
This is what I can't stand about people who make declarations like this. Stop hedging. The 'happy to be wrong' crew are the absolute worst.

You wrote that after George was 2/3 with 5 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists in 15 minutes??

Last year our depth was a weakness.

This year it is currently ok and has the potential to be very good by March.

Today was a glimpse of what George can be and I expect to see Watson have a break out game soon as well.

That’s 2 6’8” guys who can play 2-4.
We had depth last year!! We brought three guys off the bench that could score - Walker, Joseph and another Big Guard. I forget his name, but all three provided quality minutes off the bench.

Please be aware you are not posting with some rank amateur. Also, if you noticed I stated that K. George simply doesn't measure up to the hype. I hope that he will. Right now it's "Over hype".

We had depth last year!! We brought three guys off the bench that could score - Walker, Joseph and another Big Guard. I forget his name, but all three provided quality minutes off the bench.

Please be aware you are not posting with some rank amateur. Also, if you noticed I stated that K. George simply doesn't measure up to the hype. I hope that he will. Right now it's "Over hype".

Harland Beverly was the “big guard”.

Walker averaged 2.8 points last year. Bev averaged 3.5. Bens averaged 5.3.

Bens was the only guy good enough to be a starter.

Our bench will be WAY better this year than last year by the time March rolls around.

Now tell me more about last year that I didn’t know from watching just about every game in person lol

Actually… no beef. Happy to hear your observations and glad to have you on the board. The team deserves a lot more fans.

Advertisement
This is what I can't stand about people who make declarations like this. Stop hedging. The 'happy to be wrong' crew are the absolute worst.
So I’m not supposed to leave the door open for improvement as the season moves along after we’ve played only like 2 weeks of games? We have a great starting 5 but our bench is abysmal so far and that worries me for when we play in big games at the end of the year if it stays that way. That’s being objective. What’s so crazy about that?

So I’m not supposed to leave the door open for improvement as the season moves along after we’ve played only like 2 weeks of games? We have a great starting 5 but our bench is abysmal so far. That’s being objective. What more needs to be said?

Bench is not “abysmal” at all. Our starters score with such incredible efficiency the job of the bench right now is basically to play defense and keep the ball moving on offense.

They’ll get even better but they’re doing a lot of what is being asked of them right now.

Advertisement
I mean did most people think we’d be in the final four (and probably would’ve won the ACC tournament with Omier) at this point last year? Still have a lot of basketball to be played, but I don’t think it’s fair to write the team off yet just because of some sloppy play.

I’m excited to see that

Me too but process this:

Wooga is shooting 60% and Bens over 50% from 3 and Pack and Cleveland are shooting over 45% (stats not updated from todays game so not exact).

All of our starters other than Pack are shooting over 50% from the field and all averaging double figure scoring.

We have 5 EXTREME dudes… so the bench is asked to focus on not dragging down offensive efficiency which means they are doing more passing and defense and generally less shooting.

Watson is shooting 71% from the field but he’s doing exactly what he is being asked to do so he’s not scoring a ton because he’s waiting for the shots to come to him. Even Casey is over 50% from the field (despite all the griping).

Advertisement
We gave up a lot of points in the paint today. They scored 83 while only hitting 4 threes and 13 free throws. Virtually everything else was right at the rim.

The interior and help defense needs to be a lot better.

But yes, if we stay healthy we have a chance to be relevant in March again.

George is a true freshman from Switzerland. Was always going to be raw so not sure what you expected day 1. But physical tools are there to develop into legit player. He played efficient tonight which is what we need from him and let him get more comfortable scoring as year goes on

Advertisement
Back