We almost had Brooks

FullyERicht

Thunderdome
This is how it went down:

Staff asks Kirkland on the 31st to commit as he said he would be ready to do (or tell them he's committed elsewhere).

Staff at that time heard Terrell Brooks was interested and would commit if offered.

So they decided if DK committed, they would honor his commitment. If he was non committal, given he was not an elite prospect at a priority position (frankly, I don't see him excelling as a zone blocking OL anyway), they would use his spot for Brooks. "a bird in hand...."

Then comes the Black Panther brigade going on radio and twitter trashing Miami badly for dropping Kirkland.

The media outcry was so strong, and for fear of damaging community relations, AG decides to go with "2 in the bush", re offer Kirkland, and has to turn down Brooks.

So we lost out on a solid JUCO bc Ice Harris threw a tantrum.

Advertisement
That makes me sick to my stomach. So Ice basically ****ed us with even kids that weren't his own.

Retribution...it needs to be coming.

Brooks was average at best...we are better off waiting and bringing in studs '14

And their knights still have the nerve to come here and praise/defend them...

Still waiting one of them explain BeanFag twitts...

I dont know why you refer to them as "The Black Panther brigade" but you need to check yoself.

and you think b/c of the "fear of damaging community relations" Golden decided to re-offer Kirkland??? wow lol who is this troll??? Golden has already established himself in S. Florida w/ a lot of respectable ppl besides the BTW gang and Luke.

Making excuses for why Miami doesnt have Brooks is weak.... he didnt sign to Miami b/c he didnt want to come to Miami. If he did he would be in this class regardless of Kirkland... Matthew and Alex Collins didnt commit to Miami either so what are you talking about??

Brooks wasnt what Miami needed anyway.... we dont need anymore Darius Smiths.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Brooks was average at best...we are better off waiting and bringing in studs '14

It's not free agency. Kids take time to develop. Next year we lose Porter. No 17 year old is coming in and filling that gap.

You take players when they work with he numbers. "waiting till next year" is always a realllly bad idea, it ***** up the numbers and bunches positions together too much which can crumble the foundation of a team.

And btw, he is a man (Brooks), and has man strength, which is something we so badly needed on the DL. He's probably a JAG but he's a strong and mature JAG and our defense was 116th in the country last year. It would have been helpful as a stop gap at worst.

I dont know why you refer to them as "The Black Panther brigade" but you need to check yoself.

and you think b/c of the "fear of damaging community relations" Golden decided to re-offer Kirkland??? wow who is this troll??? Golden has already established himself in S. Florida w/ a lot of respectable ppl besides the BTW gang and Luke.

Making excuses for why Miami doesnt have Brooks is weak.... he didnt sign to Miami b/c he didnt want to come to Miami. If he did he would be in this class regardless of Kirkland... Matthew and Alex Collins didnt commit to Miami either so what are you talking about??

You cant sign if you have no offer- and the coaches can't tell us what did or didnt happen, so you dont know either.

This is how it went down:

Staff asks Kirkland on the 31st to commit as he said he would be ready to do (or tell them he's committed elsewhere).

Staff at that time heard Terrell Brooks was interested and would commit if offered.

So they decided if DK committed, they would honor his commitment. If he was non committal, given he was not an elite prospect at a priority position (frankly, I don't see him excelling as a zone blocking OL anyway), they would use his spot for Brooks. "a bird in hand...."

Then comes the Black Panther brigade going on radio and twitter trashing Miami badly for dropping Kirkland.

The media outcry was so strong, and for fear of damaging community relations, AG decides to go with "2 in the bush", re offer Kirkland, and has to turn down Brooks.

So we lost out on a solid JUCO bc Ice Harris threw a tantrum.

This is so stupid, that I'm almost positive this didn't happen. We turned down a player at a position of need because a HS coach threw a tantrum? I don't think so.

You cant sign if you have no offer- and the coaches can't tell us what did or didnt happen, so you dont know either.

and i bet the reason he had no offer was b/c the coaches probably felt that taking a risk on Ufamba Kamala is good enough. I dont know and dont pretend to know unlike the OP. You all can believe this great story he just came up w/ though, i care less.

Advertisement

and you think b/c of the "fear of damaging community relations" Golden decided to re-offer Kirkland??? wow who is this troll??? Golden has already established himself in S. Florida w/ a lot of respectable ppl besides the BTW gang and Luke.

The staff told the BTW staff specifically "we have a commitment from Terrell Brooks so we need Denver to commit now."

Kirkland fails to commit, so they give the scholly to Brooks. Brooks has an announcement for Monday afternoon.

Then the BPB creates a ****storm, and suddenly Brooks announcement gets delayed. Then the staff meets with Kirklands fam. Then Brooks announcement is postponed.

Then we give Kirkland a scholarship offer BACK, and unceremoniously on Tues evening Brooks suddenly declares for Baylor.

Brooks was confirmed to Miami but multiple sources, until they took that scholarship and gave it BACK to Kirkland.

As for Collins: he had his spot, and Edwards was the fallback. If Collins came here, Edwards certainly choses FSU.

We had a hard cap of scholarships this year, why is it so hard for people to comprehend this?

Again, JewBeard: Kirkland was given the priority. They honored his spot until the date he told them (Feb 1). when he flaked, they pulled it to give to Brooks.

Had they had any flexibility they would have given BOTH offers. They didn't.

Media outcry was absurd. Have u ever seen such a fuss over a pulled scholly? If so, please link it to me. Plus the family was distraught and asked to meet with the staff.

AG decided for whatever reason it was worth mending fences with DK and moreso BTW by re offering, knowing it cost him a sure thing at risk of being left at the alter.

Dont know how true it is as it has been confirmed that UM never sent DK a letter of intent so he never had UM offer on the table on signing day....

Advertisement
The staff told the BTW staff specifically "we have a commitment from Terrell Brooks so we need Denver to commit now."

Kirkland fails to commit, so they give the scholly to Brooks. Brooks has an announcement for Monday afternoon.

Then the BPB creates a ****storm, and suddenly Brooks announcement gets delayed. Then the staff meets with Kirklands fam. Then Brooks announcement is postponed.

Then we give Kirkland a scholarship offer BACK, and unceremoniously on Tues evening Brooks suddenly declares for Baylor.

Brooks was confirmed to Miami but multiple sources, until they took that scholarship and gave it BACK to Kirkland.

As for Collins: he had his spot, and Edwards was the fallback. If Collins came here, Edwards certainly choses FSU.

We had a hard cap of scholarships this year, why is it so hard for people to comprehend this?

LOL oh this is hilarious.... all of your points fail b/c UM didnt get everybody that we wanted on NSD. If only Matthew Thomas, Keith Bryant, and Jay-Nard Bostwick all put on the UM hat on NSD then your argument would make sense.

Either the staff didnt really want Brooks or Brooks just wanted to go to Baylor, simple as that. This notion that Brooks scholarship was pulled b/c of the Kirkland fiasco is ridiculous. Golden doesnt even play games like that w/ recruits.

BTW Gus was a take regardless, his offer had nothing to do w/ Collins coming or not.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

And if it IS true...then Golden is a complete idiot. Turning down a big time JUCO DT when we are in desperate need of a good Juco DT to come in and play right away just to appease BTW's staff? GTFO

No way Golden would be that stupid.

Your post, I'm sorry to say, has more fail in it than any post I've ever read. I'm being serious too.

They had a capped limit. They knew, like anyone with a brain, that Edwards was going to go wherever Collins wasn't. It's why he waited till after the Collins commit. They shared one spot. They wouldn't need to worry about 2 spots bc they knew if Collins came here Edwards was off to FSU.

Another spot went to Stacey Coley. No matter what, they'd save a spot for him. It's called gambling. You take the risk of an empty slot when the payoff is a sure fire stud.

Thomas had a spot, but I think they knew he was a longshot, and so they also guaranteed a spot for Grace. They risked going over bc again the payoff was more valuable than the downside of having to ask some kid to grey shirt.

Bostwick had a spot and Bryant was out of the picture a while ago. Golden didn't even do an in home.

That's 4 or 5 spots. Already at their max.

Then you had Kirkland who had a spot saved until Feb 1. The reason for this is while they liked DK, he isn't a Coley or Thomas level kid. And so the gamble for him is NOT worth it. They couldn't justify in any way allowing him to hold a spot without being certain he would fill it.

Enter Terrell Brooks, a kid who they probably evaluated with equal importance to DK. And when the time came for DK to **** or get of the pot, he did neither and we APPROPRIATELY moved on.

That our staff even gave him a chance to commit on his own terms should be commended.

Advertisement

And if it IS true...then Golden is a complete idiot. Turning down a big time JUCO DT when we are in desperate need of a good Juco DT to come in and play right away just to appease BTW's staff? GTFO

It's about assigning value. They valued a Kirkland commitment and a mending of the fences more than a JAG DT.

He took a risk, and he wagered Brooks on Kirkland committing after all. He lost.

People here need to hit up Vegas more ****

Yeah this theory is woat. Golden said they were 3 for 6 on NSD. Bostwick Bryant Thomas Coley Robinson Grace Edwards Kirkland. Thats two guys that didnt get an offer. 2 guys that Im sure golden knew werent gonna get an offer prior to wednesday. Whicg means brooks either didnt want to go to miami or he didnt have an offer.

Simple straight forward explanation

There is no way on earth our staff considered Brooks and DK of equal importance. No way in ****.

We had 3 OL commits already and we already have a deep OL. We have one proven player on the DL who will be a senior and no other DT commits at all. A JUCO DT coming in is going to have WAY more of an impact than a freshman OL.

So if you're telling me it came down to Brooks and DK for the staff and they chose Kirkland just because Ice Harris was mad at them then you are full of ****.

It's about assigning value. They valued a Kirkland commitment and a mending of the fences more than a JAG DT.

No. They did not.

If they valued Kirkland so much they never would have revoked his offer in the 1st **** place.

The fact that they ever even took away his offer tells you right there that they didn't value Kirkland all that much.

Advertisement
Back