We a spread team now?

fincane

Senior
I think I saw two snaps from under center all night from Kaaya. They were back to back after the Burns pick. Shotgun or pistol the rest of the night.

Advertisement
Shotgun doesn't necessarily mean spread. We did run a lot of spread concepts tonight, but far from a spread offense.

Shotgun doesn't necessarily mean spread. We did run a lot of spread concepts tonight, but far from a spread offense.

We weren't "far from a srpead offense". We were in the spread majority of the night.

We went under center a couple time and double-TE shotgun a couple times but the majority of the game was spread personnel.

what we did wrong is called way too many bubble screens. like seriously wtf. coley did this even in his fsu days

Advertisement
No team playing a few crap first few teams shows anything. It is like an NFL preseason.

Sickening finesse. We didn't line up in the I formation all night until briefly in the third quarter after the strip sack.

First quarter was 5 rushes. It should be a minimum of 15 against a team like that. It was like the coaching staff was giddy all offseason with a returning quarterback and decided to do nothing but tinker. We didn't threaten to hit anyone. I gave up on evaluating the new offensive linemen once it was obvious we had no intention of running the ball with any authority.

I despise an approach like this because I'm convinced it does nothing to prepare you for the top teams. The power game has to be established first, so opponents have to fear it, and to allow all the cutesy garbage to flow off of that. When all you have is tinkerbell finesse you are sitting ducks against better foes.

Mike Leach forgot to win today as a 31 point home favorite against Portland State. Nothing new. He loses as big favorite all the time, far more often than he wins as underdog. When you don't pound the outmanned team all your theoretical advantages are lessened and the opponent perks up once they sense you aren't going to hit them in the mouth. The Canes risk similar, not to Mike Leach incompetence but versus foes we should routinely handle. There was one sideways pass to the right sideline that looked like it was designed with no gain as the best case scenario and a 2 yard loss as the norm. Sure enough, it was complete for a 2 yard loss. I howled.

At least we explored the middle of the field in the passing game, unlike James Coley's first year. The opening series featured some nice designs, including the failed pass to Yearby when Kaaya was wild high.

I think I saw two snaps from under center all night from Kaaya. They were back to back after the Burns pick. Shotgun or pistol the rest of the night.

I think I remember Joe Z saying that he would be in shot-gun for most of the season.

wtf does joe z know?

and let's say hypothetically does know something... then we got even bigger probs.

Advertisement
what we did wrong is called way too many bubble screens. like seriously wtf. coley did this even in his fsu days

Look how many bubble screens Oregon and Clemson run every game. Every team runs bubble screens.

Advertisement

Look how many bubble screens Oregon and Clemson run every game. Every team runs bubble screens.
Difference is they work for them. We are terrible at them

lmao for real. stupidest argument when someone says another team does this or that. i'm talking about what we're good and bad at. there's a reason hardly anyone runs the tripple option like georgia tech despite them having so much success with it. you stick to your identify. and despite coley's love for bubble screens, he's never fielded a team that was great at executing them and that includes FSU.

Advertisement

Kaaya has a very hard time creating separation between himself and the center when taking direct snaps from under-center. It's one of the oddest QB idiosyncrasies I've been blessed to witness.

Advertisement
Back