Way back machine......Sebastian shot on Bourbon St.

CFLCane

Junior
Banned
Heard this on a local orlando podcast. Was just a random mention they're not even a football podcast just comedy. www.tomanddan.com

EW ORLEANS -- A bullet wound couldn't keep the University of Miami's football mascot from roaming the sidelines.

John Routh, the man inside Sebastian the Ibis, was struck in the cheek by a stray bullet while walking in a crowd on Canal Street near Bourbon Street in the French Quarter New Year's Eve. Routh was walking in street clothes with UM cheerleaders when he was struck. Police believe it was a bullet fired skyward and that it could have been fired from as far as 1 1/2 miles away.

"We had just turned onto Bourbon Street around 11:40 p.m., and I noticed three guys following us. I dropped back to warn one of our guys.

"I noticed they had stopped. We went on, and we were doing the Miami fight song," he said. "As I turned my head singing the song, I felt something on the right side of my face."

Routh said he looked on the ground, believing he may have been hit by a bottle. But when a cheerleader said she had heard a "pop," Routh checked his face.

"I saw a couple of drops of blood on the ground, and when I touched my face, it was all wet with blood," he said.

Ed Hudak, a security officer with the Miami athletic department, said New Orleans police told him that it probably was "a random shooting." Routh said a slug was recovered, and he was told by police that it came from either an AK-47 rifle or a 9 mm.

Routh received seven stitches and was treated and released at Tulane University's medical center.

"Not even a bullet to the head can keep me away from this game," Routh said.

The bullet entered Routh's upper right cheek and exited his lower cheek. He needed three stiches on top, four on the bottom.

"John was pretty lucky," Hudak said. "Another half-centimeter and he would've lost an eye."

"My mother always said I was the luckiest person in the world," Routh said.

--- This report was supplemented by Associated Press.

Advertisement
Heard this on a local orlando podcast. Was just a random mention they're not even a football podcast just comedy. www.tomanddan.com

EW ORLEANS -- A bullet wound couldn't keep the University of Miami's football mascot from roaming the sidelines.

John Routh, the man inside Sebastian the Ibis, was struck in the cheek by a stray bullet while walking in a crowd on Canal Street near Bourbon Street in the French Quarter New Year's Eve. Routh was walking in street clothes with UM cheerleaders when he was struck. Police believe it was a bullet fired skyward and that it could have been fired from as far as 1 1/2 miles away.

"We had just turned onto Bourbon Street around 11:40 p.m., and I noticed three guys following us. I dropped back to warn one of our guys.

"I noticed they had stopped. We went on, and we were doing the Miami fight song," he said. "As I turned my head singing the song, I felt something on the right side of my face."

Routh said he looked on the ground, believing he may have been hit by a bottle. But when a cheerleader said she had heard a "pop," Routh checked his face.

"I saw a couple of drops of blood on the ground, and when I touched my face, it was all wet with blood," he said.

Ed Hudak, a security officer with the Miami athletic department, said New Orleans police told him that it probably was "a random shooting." Routh said a slug was recovered, and he was told by police that it came from either an AK-47 rifle or a 9 mm.

Routh received seven stitches and was treated and released at Tulane University's medical center.

The bullet entered Routh's upper right cheek and exited his lower cheek. He needed three stiches on top, four on the bottom.

"John was pretty lucky," Hudak said. "Another half-centimeter and he would've lost an eye."

I was there. Not in the same group with John Routh, but on Bourbon Street at the same time. My group was staying in the same hotel as the team and cheerleaders/mascot.

I remember all of the commotion and everyone getting freaked out by what had happened.

Advertisement
Advertisement

It's a tradition in New Orleans for lots of people to randomly shoot in the air. One year I went to the Sugar Bowl. One of the rooms in my hotel received a bullet.

Advertisement
Back