Washington starting LG Nate Kalepo commits to ole miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sure the staff still loves McCoy, Samson, and Kinsler. But they know we need to win big (10 games) now in 2024.

OL is a developmental/mature position. Samson is coming off an injury and still would only be a 2nd year guy. McCoy looks good but prob needs more polish. He’s def 6th OL. And Kinsler didn’t even get snaps this year so I’m sure he’s at least another year away from Starting consistently

Better to bring in a proven starter in Kalepo to fill out the starting 5 for 2024. Then going into 2025 a more mature and developed Samson, McCoy and Kinsler are replacing Rivers & Kalepo
That all sounds nice, but where are the younger guys getting snaps at? You'll have a bunch of guys who are older, but don't have the on-field experience.

Advertisement
I get that being a concern down the road but right now the only guy who should even remotely being having those thoughts is McCoy. Aside from Francis, every other OL we brought in last year redshirted. Samson is coming off an injury/RS that he could benefit from the extra time to get acclimated. Finally every kid we signed this class needs a RS.
I agree, but that's not how today's players think. If there isn't a plan for them that they understand and trust will come true, they will leave. They also expect playing time to be a part of development and it should be.

Advertisement
Beyond spots idk why you wouldn’t take this guy. Samson likely misses spring or is limited.. stop factoring him in as a starter. Bell is a dude but juco is always a gamble. He needs development. The other guys are still a year away as well.

Anything that assures me that Lou Cristobal stays off the field is a great idea to me. Even if that means McCoy transfers after the spring. A sacrifice I’m willing to make and a good problem to have that we’ve never had… too much talent on the OL.
It's been repeated several times in actual interviews, that Bell is going to need a year at Miami to make an impact, not sure why people slot him in a starter.

This would be a great transition for the following year.

Last edited:
People always say that, but development also requires meaningful playing time. I'm not saying don't take Kalepo, but it does risk losing guys to the portal. Mario better have a plan for McCoy and Kinsler that the young mean are aligned with or they could bounce.

Kinsler will be a well compensated RS Freshman next year, don’t think he will go anywhere if he is a backup this year.

McCoy couldn’t beat out Big Lou. Either he needs more time to develop and focus on his craft or he needs to be replaced. I am hoping it is the former not the latter.

Regardless I don’t want to roll into the Swamp with the same McCoy we saw at the Pinstripe Bowl and I don’t want to jeopardize Cam Ward’s health either.

It seems Mario feels the same way.

Kinsler will be a well compensated RS Freshman next year, don’t think he will go anywhere if he is a backup this year.

McCoy couldn’t beat out Big Lou. Either he needs more time to develop and focus on his craft or he needs to be replaced. I am hoping it is the former not the latter.

Regardless I don’t want to roll into the Swamp with the same McCoy we saw at the Pinstripe Bowl and I don’t want to jeopardize Cam Ward’s health either.

It seems Mario feels the same way.
McCoy is looking to be a starter. I don't know what went on at the bowl game. Wasn't Lou the starter? I don't think McCoy played until late 2nd half of the game for whatever reason.

Advertisement
That all sounds nice, but where are the younger guys getting snaps at? You'll have a bunch of guys who are older, but don't have the on-field experience.
You have voiced you're concerns on this a few time. I think this topic can go up there with the what are we going to do with 1 Ov left and we are 5 or so scholarships over the max. Mario seems to do 1 thing really well and that's roster management. Last months worry on the board was we only had Jacurri and a 1 armed emory for the spring.

McCoy is looking to be a starter. I don't know what went on at the bowl game. Wasn't Lou the starter? I don't think McCoy played until late 2nd half of the game for whatever reason.

The McCoy thing was strange. All season long he was our 6th OL and got more snaps then anybody outside of the starting 5. In the Temple game he shared snaps at LG with Cohen. Everything tells you that McCoy will be our starting LG next season but then gets benched in the first half against Rutgers. That one threw me off

Id like him to come and push whoever your favorite OL is out of the rotation.

chaos ladder GIF

Advertisement
McCoy has been getting snaps mostly at tackle correct?

Pancake coming back from injury
No idea what Bell will give us yet

None of the above guys should be expected to either play guard or push FM or Rivers over to guard.

Kinsler hasn’t gotten any snaps at all.

This guarantees no glaring weakness at LG next season. None of the other options I named do that.

Advertisement
Dude was disruptive as **** to go along with our inside guys disruption...and if a qb scrambled his athleticism was just different.

He was like a YUUUGEEE lost. When he got hurt my champ aspirations kinda went. I knew what was coming.
He was our biggest loss, JP and to just a slightly lesser extent Chubb/C. Williams.

JP/Sieler/Wilkins/Chubb +AVG as the 5th man is a **** of a front. But you neeeeed your JP against the likes of Allen, Lamar, Mahomes. You have to be able to pressure and chase down/limit extended plays while being able to drop 6 or 7 into coverage.

When Jaelen went down I felt a deep playoff run was absolutely crushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back