Washington Post Tracks 2007 Rivals Top 100****

CANEMC

⭐️⭐️ Extra Premium
Advertisement
Was just going to post this. Really interesting stuff. Obviously a weird year, but just like the angle.

Advertisement
What was the story with Wiggins again? Other than that he sucked? Didn't he get in a fight or am I completely off base?

So roughly 40% made it to the NFL, but only a fifth stuck for any extended period. That's a little lower than I thought it would be, and just shows you how off rankings can be.

We probably have 40% of our graduating players make an NFL scout team each year, yet only 2 of them made that top 100. Okay, I'm stacking the deck because probably 1/4 to 1/3 of our commits end up transferring at some point. Still, the numbers show this is an art not a science.

Funny thing is that most guys following local So FL HS football would have told you that Wiggins was a great kid but overrated. Bailey was properly rated, but misused in college. Meanwhile, Orlando Franklin was in that class and he was a beast. Hankerson was in that class. I would have rated all three above Wiggins.

p.s., what a terrible class that was overall for Miami. Coker took over the best team in the history of college football and left it in shambles.

Last edited:
Advertisement
noel devine not panning out was surprising. kid was the **** back then and everyone wanted him

Our classes were BRUTAL back then. Remember, we had a hard time even getting kids drafted PERIOD, much less continuing our streak of 1st rounders. Coker and Shannon had no eye for talent, at all. If it didn't fall into their laps because we are Miami, they couldn't identify it.

This is a good case study in why Stars matter. No, not all top rated players pan out. In fact a majority probably don't. But the ODDS of a highly rated player panning out are higher.

If you look at any given recruiting year, it would probably look something in the range of:

Top 1 - 100 players: 40% make the NFL
Top 101 - 200 players: 25% make the NFL
Top 201 - 300 players: 15% make the NFL

Highly ranked players have better odds of becoming good players

Advertisement
I'm getting old... I have absolutely no recollection of Wiggins being anywhere near a top 40 player nationally by anyone. I was thinking he was a fringe 4 star guy and a 3 star by most services. Sheesh.

So frustrating Shannon beating us for South Florida recruits...The man literally gave South Florida away in the first place.

Besides his first year when all of MNW and BTW had the hometown hero's back, the man's next 3 classes in South Florida were absolute dogshyt and started the trend.

This is a good case study in why Stars matter. No, not all top rated players pan out. In fact a majority probably don't. But the ODDS of a highly rated player panning out are higher.

If you look at any given recruiting year, it would probably look something in the range of:

But this article only covers the Top 1 to 100 statistics for this one year. How do you make that statement? Do you have the statistics for the Top 101-200 or 201 to 300 players?

Advertisement

But this article only covers the Top 1 to 100 statistics for this one year. How do you make that statement? Do you have the statistics for the Top 101-200 or 201 to 300 players?

This is pretty close - every year the high school rating services take a look back and the numbers in this range

What I remember is the RB targets we had that year. Noel, Allen, Rainey....those were all serious targets for us. ****, Devine was mythical. Rainey was world class speed. Allen was the total package...... We were getting two of the guys, not matter what!

And the ing and moaning when we got none of them. And then Coop and McNeal were the GOODS....because we got them. Pretty much like recruiting every year.

If you weren't around for the stud class we were going to pull of Ridley, SBB, Irvin, etc., or the epic haul of RBS we had "committed", at one point, in the last two years....you might lack perspective. Deal with it. Most of us don't know sh@t. We just hope and predict anyway.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back