Was talking to a QB who played against both Carter and Burns

Advertisement
LEt's be real...no one is Patrick PEterson. He is kind of like Sean Taylor in that it will be a LONG time before we see someone who combines his physical abilities and skills at his position.

LEt's be real...no one is Patrick PEterson. He is kind of like Sean Taylor in that it will be a LONG time before we see someone who combines his physical abilities and skills at his position.
This. Which is why it sucked so bad that Shannon couldn't close him. He did the **** thing at LSU and didn't really need much coaching in the process b/c he was THAT talented.

The difference between getting guys like Burns/Carter as elite athletes under Golden's staff, and getting a guy like Ray Ray under Shannon's staff, is that I have utmost confidence that Golden's guys can find a position for Burns/Carter and teach them what they need to know to be dominant athletes in the secondary. Ray Ray, for all his athleticism, never had it come together--and I think that was due to his attitude, and the fact that Shannon and the staff he had couldn't develop a Polaroid picture to save their lives.

This. Which is why it sucked so bad that Shannon couldn't close him.

99.jpg

Advertisement
i know they arent in the same ball park athletically but does tracy howard have a chance at being an ALL AROUND better corner then peterson?

crossover22[]_[] said:
i know they arent in the same ball park athletically but does tracy howard have a chance at being an ALL AROUND better corner then peterson?

No

PP was a once in a decade player. LSU through the $$$ at him and he went. Can't blame the kid. Money talks!!!

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];675765 said:
crossover22[]_[] said:

No

why you say the pete? just curious. i might get destroyed for this but i dont look at peterson as a LOCKDOWN type guy.

you must havent seen Pat play... ask julio about him

The best thing I see with our secondary is depth. By the time Burns, Carter, et. al. get here (2013 remember), they may not have to get on the field immediately. Obviously The 2012 guys will get pt out of necessity, and because of that, the '13 guys may be able to redshirt and develop even though they may already have the talent to start from day 1. One of the traits of a dominant defense is the ability to stockpile talent and unleash that talent year after year despite the names on the jerseys changing. Can u imagine a secondary that features:

Cb Howard (sr.)
Cb Crawford/Hope (sr.)
Nickel Burns (rs soph)
S Bush (sr.)
S Carter (rs soph)

crossover22[]_[];675765 said:
crossover22[]_[] said:

No

why you say the pete? just curious. i might get destroyed for this but i dont look at peterson as a LOCKDOWN type guy.

He's the only CB taken in the top 5 of the draft since 2003 (Newman). I don't think some realize what a special player Peterson is/was and he is most definitely a lock down guy.

Advertisement
PP was about as "can't miss" as it gets. IMO the J. Clowney of DBs. But that doesn't mean Tracy cant be as good of a pure cover corner as him. Just not the overall talent that PP is.

Howard might be more technically sound but will never be the athlete that PP is. Keep in mind, that's not a knock on Howard. The comparison I've seen is Joe Haden and I like it a lot. And that's still an All American and first rounder. But PP is 6'2", 210 with a ridiculous forty and insane athletic ability. He was a man the second he stepped on campus and then got better.

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];675628 said:

No

Peterson would probably have gone down as the best CB to ever come through Miami, so that tells you how often a kid like that comes around.

Peterson was the truth... Cant blame Shannon for him... There were rumors floating around throughout Broward why the kid chose LSU... And his father wanted him there anyway... That being said, I wished he would have came here... He wasnt Deon but he his own playmaker as a returner and cover corner... Harris, DVD, and PP would have been a good secondary... Oh well... I dont thin we have any recuit or player on his level... Burns is an athlete but PP was that and a straight up football player... Kid was going both ways in high school... Burns doesnt do that... He's still learning the game... Howard is a smart ball player and just a straight up baller with some physical limitations but he isnt on PP level...

Advertisement
Back