Was at game yesterday

DerpaDerp

Herring, I need some
Right after had to go see Journey in concert with the wife. We had a great time at both.

The game. The good bad and ugly, I am was too tired to post last night much but I know TV doesn't give an ALL-22 view so here it is:

The Good: The running game was solid. The OL looked especially good at times and Art really has them playing at a high level for the most part. There was one missed blitz pickup, but they did well over all. The RB's did well, Duke was so close and he runs so hard. Defenses just key in on him when he's in that its amazing considering his breakout games early on, he gets ANY yards whatsoever. The LB's walk up when he's in. The DB's actually played pretty well. It wasn't their fault when the LB breaks containment in zone and just stops running with the WR because he's kit some imaginary glass wall. I saw this many times. Many. The DB's were actually playing balls out most of the game.

The Bad: Morris. He was 8/20 at one point. In some sets, on in particular, he has a RB to his Left in the gun with an X receiver in man on a CB. The OLB is lined up INSIDE the tackle and the TE is on the Left as well. It's a classic mismatch that leaves the RB open on a left flat leak route. We ran it only once. He was wide open every time. Why? Because the OLB had to account for the TE and hold there. We missed so many chances to march down on simple dump offs and it boggled my mind. Fisch was getting cute, when he should have been looking to monkey stomp them. For instance: Why open in Wildcat? Dumb, just dumb, we failed to gain any sense of rhythm and momentum from the outset. Result: UNC took the ball down our throats and scored. We were never ahead in this game and easily could have been. UNC is not a good team, but they play with tenacity and sometimes are wreckless. Witness the 150 yards of penalties second only in my recollection to the 202 we gave away in the Cotton Bowl. That said, we should have taken advantage of that. You have to take advantage of that.

The UGLY: The DL and LB's. The LB's get in here because they had receivers covered many many times. Then broke off coverage. Like they had reached the end of their zone or something. So, as a result, the UNC QB finds the now wide open receiver in the hole. Boom. 15 yards. The DL was manhandled all game. On several occasions I saw DL bull rushing and nothing else....all the way backward....8 yards down field. The wrong way. No spin, no rip. No anything. They had nothing. The DE's were inconsistently respectable at times, but in 3rd and 8 in the 4th q and you get locked up inside? WTF were you thinking? Take the outside and force containment to the LB who was LOOKING TO TAKE THE INSIDE CONTAIN AND THEN? WTF you knew it was going to happen!!! He's kept from getting where he needs to go!!

OMG. Then, Missed tackles. A few.

WR's also fall here. Hurns and Scott did plenty to show me that if Dorsett can't be #1. Then they can be if given the call.

Our TE's suck. That is all. When you drop a pass into your chest. GTFOTF. Or run an 11 yd route when you need...oh I don't know...16 yards? Williams is saved here because, as a former QB and now coach, I understand how difficult it can be on the backup to come in and drive the ball. Kirby Freeman was helped once by great runs. Last play, you stand flat footed for 4s. Roll left, roll right, roll somewhere, Create more time to get someone open. We have no more downs to throw short. Several times, the middle is wide open in the 4th qtr and we failed to check to a skinny post, deep dig, TE curl. Anything to exploit what they were giving us. We should have put up 40 on those ********. They aren't good.

UNC: Mediocre club. Very undisciplined. Butch leaving left a hole in them I didn't see until now. Reckless. Stupid. Penalty prone because they get arrogant out there. Thinking they are better than they are, and basically won the game on a gadget play. a 2 point conversion that should have been stopped. That was our fault, but they had to run it to win. Otherwise, its a regular scoring game and we would have been kicking FGs earlier on to get closer then win. (Golden had some doozy calls, but that's another thread).

In all, the game loss sucked, Journey in Concert rocked in WPB. Great evening. Great day overall. Family had fun and that is important.

Cheers all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back