Walter White, or Heisenberg? USC AD article

g8rh8rMD

Not a Dr.
Great analogy here while discussing the USC AD. Unfortunately, it seems UM is far more Walter White, preferring to continue to vest all of the power in a bumbling BOT, than to hire Heisenberg types and let them do their ******* jobs.

So, you thought Mike Bohn was Walter White, a bumbling, confused, anxious high school teacher trying to deal with crushing problems and financial difficulties? Turns out he was Heisenberg, the brilliant, ruthless, game-theory genius who could stand tall against Gus Fring and numerous other men of power and ambition.

“I am the one who knocks. I am the danger!”

Heisenberg’s famous line from “Breaking Bad” resonates through the USC campus and community on Monday morning, the day after Bohn stunned everyone in college sports with his absolutely jawdropping hire of former Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley.

Just follow the ******* blueprint, Miami...

EDIT: No more half measures.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Here's another good piece on just how USC offed Gus Fring, I mean landed Lincoln Riley. I really hope President Frenk is paying attention.

Since the day Clay Helton was fired, just two weeks into this college football season, Mike Bohn had his sights set on hiring a head coach at USC that would send shockwaves through the sport.

USC’s athletic director knew the hire would not only define his tenure, but determine the direction of a Trojan football program that spent the better part of the past decade tumbling from its perch atop college football. Bohn wanted a championship-caliber coach whose credentials alone would proudly declare USC’s return to prominence.

So he set his aim in September on one of the top coaches in college football, an offensive mastermind and ace recruiter so coveted that he seemed entirely out of USC’s reach. Over the course of a three-month search, that aim never wavered, and by the early morning hours Sunday, shortly after Oklahoma’s season had ended, a bombshell deal quickly came together to bring Sooners coach Lincoln Riley to Los Angeles.

By Sunday night, Riley was officially announced as USC's 30th head coach, ending a search characterized by its quiet with a boom sure to be felt across college football. His stunning arrival at the end of an aimless USC season has the power to transform a struggling football program and perhaps even lift a middling Pac-12 Conference back to national relevance.

Advertisement
I don’t believe this hasn’t been in the works for a while.
I'm not sure what you mean?

If you mean Riley to USC, as far as what I've read, it's well established that Riley has been talking to USC for months, and quite likely appears to have had a handshake agreement in place for some time to take the job as soon as OU's season/playoff contention was over.

Seems Riley has been reading his Machiavelli by what appears to be happening with his OU staff and OU's recruiting class.

But, but, he had no connection to Los Angeles or USC!! Why would he ever be hired there? Wait, you mean to tell me his 20 years experience as AD at other programs was actually a selling point to USC? That's just crazy.

I'm not sure what you mean?

If you mean Riley to USC, as far as what I've read, it's well established that Riley has been talking to USC for months, and quite likely appears to have had a handshake agreement in place for some time to take the job as soon as OU's season/playoff contention was over.

Seems Riley has been reading his Machiavelli by what appears to be happening with his OU staff and OU's recruiting class.
Someone pointed out that the signs were as clear as the nose on your face. He was exclusively recruiting on the West Coast. Look for his top California recruits to flip to USC and wouldn't that be a surprise.

Advertisement
They had a big board; and vetted, sent feelers to their big board. So yes, even before Helton was fired, they had a big board & knew they couldn’t go mediocre w/ the coaching staff.

It’s called planning.
Exactly. This is how functional organizations work. If only UM were a functional organization... Sigh.

Riley has been recruiting the west coast hard this cycle. Take a look at his list of commits - or should we say list of former commits......

Feeling is he was not happy with move to SEC and the fact he wasn't even asked for his input..

Riley has been recruiting the west coast hard this cycle. Take a look at his list of commits - or should we say list of former commits......

Feeling is he was not happy with move to SEC and the fact he wasn't even asked for his input..
I'd argue they are still his commits. OU scrambling... Riley is going to take **** near every useful part he wants off that program before he's done with them.

"Conversations with representation for Riley and other candidates carried on throughout the season, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the discussions who were not authorized to speak on the record."

Isn't it just crazy how some porsters conclude that UM could not have possibly held conversations throughout the year, simply because someone is not hired yet?

This "throughout the season" behavior is now par for the course, even for guys under contract.

Advertisement
"Conversations with representation for Riley and other candidates carried on throughout the season, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the discussions who were not authorized to speak on the record."

Isn't it just crazy how some porsters conclude that UM could not have possibly held conversations throughout the year, simply because someone is not hired yet?

This "throughout the season" behavior is now par for the course, even for guys under contract.
Except for the fact that they had an actual AD leading the search and had already fired their HC whereas we had an AD who had no power to lead a search, has ended up fired, and a HC we've yet to fire.

Someone pointed out that the signs were as clear as the nose on your face. He was deliberately sabotaging OU's recruiting class on the West Coast. Look for his top California recruits to flip to USC and wouldn't that be a surprise.

FIFY.

Advertisement

OU will regret the push to sell themselves for SEC glory. These Big12 teams need to stay put and just put a better product out there. There is an easier path to the CFP in the Big12 than the SEC.

Except for the fact that they had an actual AD leading the search and had already fired their HC whereas we had an AD who had no power to lead a search, has ended up fired, and a HC we've yet to fire.

While you are not factually incorrect, would you suggest that we should retain our HC for another year as the "actual AD" at USC did last year, and then fire Manny after a couple of games in 2022 so that we can hire his replacement by December 2022?

While you are not factually incorrect, would you suggest that we should retain our HC for another year as the "actual AD" at USC did last year, and then fire Manny after a couple of games in 2022 so that we can hire his replacement by December 2022?
If it meant reeling in a guy like Lincoln Riley you bet your *** I would.

My only point is that we are a disheveled mess without leadership. We may be having private discussions right now like USC, but the parallels end there. Whoever is talking on our behalf doesn't have the power to hire anyone like Bohn could at USC.

Advertisement
Back