Walker & Brown

thegrove

Freshman
At this point I think Walker has exhibited his skills well, but I don't think he is one and done material.He needs a good off season of strength and conditioning, as well as some mpre high level opponents a la ACC. Brown is probably ready but would love to see him stick another year. Although the $ are tough to give up. Long term better to wait another year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Based upon what we've seen so far this season, neither are ready for NBA. Brown looked better last season. IV hasn't played like a 5*. He looks raw.

BB never was a showtime type of guy, but he seems to be playing with almost zero intensity this year. Granted, the home games have been against inferior opponents and the road schedule has been, well too long.

IV seems relegated to chucking up 3s or passing the ball from outside the arc, leaving his athleticism in the locker room.

Team needs a floor leader. Too much emotionless stuff.

The NBA drafts on raw potential. Walker has all the potential. As long as his stats aren't bad, he'll have the chance to be a lottery pick. All you can hope is that he wants to refine his skills and get better before going to the league. As for Bruce, it's a catch 22. We need him to have a good year and if he does he's leaving. If he doesn't have a good year he could end up staying but that means this team will have an underwhelming season. I think Bruce will step up the rest of the season and Walker will keep showcasing his raw talent as the season progresses.

The NBA drafts on raw potential. Walker has all the potential. As long as his stats aren't bad, he'll have the chance to be a lottery pick. All you can hope is that he wants to refine his skills and get better before going to the league. As for Bruce, it's a catch 22. We need him to have a good year and if he does he's leaving. If he doesn't have a good year he could end up staying but that means this team will have an underwhelming season. I think Bruce will step up the rest of the season and Walker will keep showcasing his raw talent as the season progresses.
Don't disagree, both have had injury problems not overly serious but in Walker's case he needs the extra year. They have to balance their decisions based on $ now or more $ latter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Advertisement
It's still too early to say imo. If Walker and Brown have a great Feb and March they will go.

Disagree on one point. It's true that throughout the draft, the NBA drafts kids who have "raw potential." But, in the lottery, nearly every kid, in a good draft class, is a finished product unless the kid is a 7-footer. Last year, Jonathan Isaac had perhaps the thinnest resume in terms of stats, but he was a 7 footer (or near enough). Neither BB nor Walker have anywhere close to the stats needed to be lottery picks. Just off the top of my head these kids are all way ahead of our kids in the 2018 draft class: Doncic, Ayton, Young, Bagley, Bamba, Sexton, Miles Bridges, Williams, Knox, Jackson (I'm not including Michael Porter, arguably a Top 3 pick before his injury).

I know there was at least one mock draft in early December showing Walker going as the last lottery pick and BB as the next pick, but that analyst was giving Walker slack based on the knee injury (no longer as much of an excuse). The same analyst said that BB wasn't that talented. Unless they play considerably better than they have to date -- BB hasn't been bad, just not great -- BB and Walker are going to have to decide if being picked >18th in the Draft is worth it. Walker has the higher ceiling than BB because his shot isn't broken. It also looks like Walker is quicker and a better jumper than BB, but BB has grit and really good defensive instincts.

The rest of your post was spot on.

Disagree on one point. It's true that throughout the draft, the NBA drafts kids who have "raw potential." But, in the lottery, nearly every kid, in a good draft class, is a finished product unless the kid is a 7-footer. Last year, Jonathan Isaac had perhaps the thinnest resume in terms of stats, but he was a 7 footer (or near enough). Neither BB nor Walker have anywhere close to the stats needed to be lottery picks. Just off the top of my head these kids are all way ahead of our kids in the 2018 draft class: Doncic, Ayton, Young, Bagley, Bamba, Sexton, Miles Bridges, Williams, Knox, Jackson (I'm not including Michael Porter, arguably a Top 3 pick before his injury).

I know there was at least one mock draft in early December showing Walker going as the last lottery pick and BB as the next pick, but that analyst was giving Walker slack based on the knee injury (no longer as much of an excuse). The same analyst said that BB wasn't that talented. Unless they play considerably better than they have to date -- BB hasn't been bad, just not great -- BB and Walker are going to have to decide if being picked >18th in the Draft is worth it. Walker has the higher ceiling than BB because his shot isn't broken. It also looks like Walker is quicker and a better jumper than BB, but BB has grit and really good defensive instincts.

there are very few finished products drafted in the lottery. that is why so many 3 and 4 year college players are getting drafting late and having such success in the nba.
nba loves combine warriors.

True. Unfortunately 6'4" - 6'6" athletic types are all over college. I thought BB was ready to dominate when he got his first triple double game one. Since then he has rebounded much better than assisted. Good trait to have but teams want scoring from their 2's and 3's. BB's scoring has been unremarkable all year. He's had only had 1 20pt game. If that doesn't improve, or at the very least his shooting percentage has to take off, BB will be starting for the canes next year.

LW just hasn't done anything to grab your attention yet. You see the athleticsm and skills, it just hasn't translated into him being dominant yet.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back