Wake vs Miami 6 pm ESPNU

Below is Tonye’s college production. I remember when people wrote him off as a freshman. Don’t try to revisionist that history. Gak had 5/4 last night and he might as well be a sophomore considering his injuries. He moved well and has decent hands. I’m not saying he’s good. I’m saying it’s not fair to say he’s expected to be bad without a real prospect of improvement.
View attachment 170434
I'm aware of those stats because I looked them up before responding to you earlier. Yes, 1.4 and 1.6 by Jekiri is not impressive. However Gak is currently averaging 1.6 and 1.0 lol. He's had injuries, sure. But lots of guys have injuries and give you more than that. I mean, just look at Sam, who is nothing special, but still manages to score double figures regularly despite having a bunch of injuries throughout his career.

I have no comment on the "people" that "wrote off" Jekiri as a freshmen. Regardless of whether it's true or not, it's irrelevant. Sometimes players improve, sometimes they don't.

I hope Gak does, but it seems highly unlikely, given what we've seen from him the last 2 years. The best we can hope for is that he gives us 15-20 serviceable minutes a game, but even that seems like a stretch unfortunately.

Advertisement
I'm aware of those stats because I looked them up before responding to you earlier. Yes, 1.4 and 1.6 by Jekiri is not impressive. However Gak is currently averaging 1.6 and 1.0 lol. He's had injuries, sure. But lots of guys have injuries and give you more than that. I mean, just look at Sam, who is nothing special, but still manages to score double figures regularly despite having a bunch of injuries throughout his career.

I have no comment on the "people" that "wrote off" Jekiri as a freshmen. Regardless of whether it's true or not, it's irrelevant. Sometimes players improve, sometimes they don't.

I hope Gak does, but it seems highly unlikely, given what we've seen from him the last 2 years. The best we can hope for is that he gives us 15-20 serviceable minutes a game, but even that seems like a stretch

You think Gak averages 5/4 or better over the second half of the conference schedule?

One thing Coach L has to work out is figuring out how to defend inside better earlier in the game. He has made a few adjustments in the second half but against teams like North Carolina they will blow you out early and you will not be able to recover. We have to hope Sam plays big boy basketball when he gets back.

Below is Tonye’s college production. I remember when people wrote him off as a freshman. Don’t try to revisionist that history. Gak had 5/4 last night and he might as well be a sophomore considering his injuries. He moved well and has decent hands. I’m not saying he’s good. I’m saying it’s not fair to say he’s expected to be bad without a real prospect of improvement.
View attachment 170434

Might as well be a sophomore? The dude's a fifth-year junior. He hasn't gained much strength, athleticism, post presence in the last four years. Sure, he's had health issues, but it's disingenuous to compare him to a sophomore. I am an optimistic fan, like you, but this is not the argument to make. The dude should basically be a graduate but is still well below average for underclassmen. Tonye was an indescribably better athlete and it didn't take until his fifth year to prove it. Sure, he improved over the years, but even as a sophomore he was light years better than Deng Gak is right now.

Advertisement
Great win. Thru 3 ACC games, we are averaging 88 points a game on 55% shooting, including 48% from 3 on 17 assists a game (to just 9 turnovers). We are playing as well offensively as I've seen any L team play. Defense and rebounding is a whole other story, though.

Advertisement
Back