Wake Forest Job

hotshot

Sophomore
ESPN touts Steve Forbes and Wes Miller as the top candidates. Hope they do NOT get John Beilein. That would be bad news.

Advertisement

It is Wes Miller's job if he wants it unless they decide on Ryan Odom from UMBC. His father is Dave Odom, who coached at Wake in the 90s.

Advertisement
Pat Kelsey of Winthrop has emerged as a candidate. His teams there were pretty exciting offensively. He once worked on the Wake staff I think.

I would be surprised if it wasn't one of Wes Miller (UNC Greensboro), Steve Forbes (ETSU), Pat Kelsey (Winthrop), or Ryan Odom (UMBC). All four of them have strong ties to either the school or the AD - Miller's dad is a large donor to Wake, Forbes has connections to the AD from his time at Tennessee, Kelsey was a long time assistant at Wake, and Odom's dad is Dave Odom.

I think Forbes is the most accomplished of the group, but I would put my money on Miller if I had to pick one of the four.

Advertisement
Advertisement
That's a really good hire. Would have loved to see Forbes considered here had we moved on from Larranaga.
Same. I touted him on here as an option pretty often. Sad to see him move on from ETSU...he built a winner there. Hope the next guy ETSU hires can keep it going. Forbes was not only a winner but a class act as well.

Little late to this thread but, Wes Miller isn’t leaving unless it’s to take over for Roy or possibly NC State if they offer him something he can’t refuse. They’d probably need to give him a 5 year deal.

Advertisement
Little late to this thread but, Wes Miller isn’t leaving unless it’s to take over for Roy or possibly NC State if they offer him something he can’t refuse. They’d probably need to give him a 5 year deal.
Yep. I speak to him about 4 times a year. The last time I saw him in person we sat down and he basically laid out that this school had given him all they promised and everything he'd asked for as far as facility and housing improvements etc. as well as $. Basically, the gym holds 23,500 butts and he aims to fill them. He could coach there forever. He recruits a ton in Europe and his wife loves the offseason travel so...

Yep. I speak to him about 4 times a year. The last time I saw him in person we sat down and he basically laid out that this school had given him all they promised and everything he'd asked for as far as facility and housing improvements etc. as well as $. Basically, the gym holds 23,500 butts and he aims to fill them. He could coach there forever. He recruits a ton in Europe and his wife loves the offseason travel so...

Kind of a shame bc he would be a great fit here

It doesn't hurt recruiting when you play in a house like that, have all new training facilities, beautiful large campus with brand new school apt complexes with all the amenities and, oh did I mention, 16500 undergrads with 11000 of them being of the female persuasion. In other words, 2 girls for every boy (as the song goes).

Advertisement
Back