VT

curious to see how 3b & dh looks this weekend. Same goes for bullpen. Wagner to Palmquist is great on backend but who is going to step up for other bullpen spots. I would like to see Jenkins moved up in lineup. I believe vilar is better suited at the bottom of order.

excited for more canes baseball this weekend

Advertisement
I was ASTONISHED to see them ranked. But they're nothing as a baseball program. Ohio State lands in the polls every once in awhile too, but again, they're akin to Oregon in football, with less postseason appearances.
As these teams pour Big 10 Network money into other sports you'll start seeing this change. These teams are now building indoor practice facilities to bridge some of this gap and administrations continue to push for a March 1st date to get a little more time to warm up before the season starts.

The universal start date to practice was just the first step that northern teams are working on to level the field (which will never be fully leveled of course).

If you're a northern program without an indoor, you have no shot, but the ones with them can compete. My alma mater is a strong baseball program and the indoor practice facility they have is one of the big reasons they can stay competitive.

Advertisement
As these teams pour Big 10 Network money into other sports you'll start seeing this change. These teams are now building indoor practice facilities to bridge some of this gap and administrations continue to push for a March 1st date to get a little more time to warm up before the season starts.

The universal start date to practice was just the first step that northern teams are working on to level the field (which will never be fully leveled of course).

If you're a northern program without an indoor, you have no shot, but the ones with them can compete. My alma mater is a strong baseball program and the indoor practice facility they have is one of the big reasons they can stay competitive.
Who is your alma mater Lance?

Yeah, I understand the weather, lack of indoor facilities and start date is a major reason for the lack of success of northern programs. But I don't think money and new facilities are going to change things overnight for MOST schools, short of the Ohio States and Michigans of the world.

If Florida doesn't have a great baseball program and Notre Dame's football program isn't very good, then there aren't many good programs in either sport. We certainly don't qualify in either one going by those standards.

How would we not qualify by "those standards" in either football or baseball? Multiple rings, sustained post season appearances, under multiple coaches, highly successful at the next level.

No, I don't think many programs qualify as top tier programs. That's kind of the point.

And analyze the situation for a minute. If Notre Dame were Louisville, do you think they'd start the season ranked so highly in football so consistently while consistently putting up mediocre results relative to their initial ranking? Do you think they would have made the CFP as frequently only to lay an egg?

If Notre Dame were Louisville, do you think they'd start the season ranked so highly in football so consistently while consistently putting up mediocre results relative to their initial ranking? Do you think they would have made the CFP as frequently only to lay an egg?
They don't put up mediocre results based on their initial ranking and they haven't laid an egg in the CFP.

Advertisement
bragging ric flair GIF

Advertisement
How would we not qualify by "those standards" in either football or baseball? Multiple rings, sustained post season appearances, under multiple coaches, highly successful at the next level.

Because we haven't won a thing in either sport in 20 years. You've got to join us here in the future.

Multiple rings? The entire championship history occurred from 1982-2001. And most of that happened from 1982-1991. Other than a brief 3-year run from 1999-2001, our multiple rings happened 30 years ago.

Sustained postseason appearances? We lose middle-tier bowl games in football and we've only advanced past the regional round three times in the last ten years in baseball.

If Notre Dame isn't a good program because their best years were a long time ago and they lose playoff games today, then we're a step below Notre Dame.

I live in Springfield. Mo State has had some talent come through here with Coach Guttin.
Plus being the minor league affiliate with the Stl Cardinals gave them better facilities.

And analyze the situation for a minute. If Notre Dame were Louisville, do you think they'd start the season ranked so highly in football so consistently while consistently putting up mediocre results relative to their initial ranking? Do you think they would have made the CFP as frequently only to lay an egg?

Notre Dame has won 10 or more games in five of the last six seasons. They started out #10 in 2020. They went 10-1, including a win over Clemson, more than justifying a top ten ranking. Where, exactly, do you think they should have been ranked in last year's preseason rankings?

Advertisement
Notre Dame's preseason AP rankings, followed by their record in that season:

2020: #10, 10-2
2019: #9, 11-2
2018: #12, 12-1
2017: Unranked, 10-3

If anything, they have been underrated, not overrated.

Off topic multiple times in a thread
Notre Dame has won 10 or more games in five of the last six seasons. They started out #10 in 2020. They went 10-1, including a win over Clemson, more than justifying a top ten ranking. Where, exactly, do you think they should have been ranked in last year's preseason rankings?

Oh well five of the last six seasons is REALLY indicative of their 120 year history.

Don't call yourself a stat guy if you don't understand how statistics work.

As a whole yes, but UVA & UL are both north of the carolinas geographically. As a matter of fact UVA is like top 5 with most players on MLB rosters I believe.

Either way, the ACC & the SEC pretty much dominate college baseball.
UVA has a national title and 4 world series appearances since 2009.

Advertisement
Back