VT: +6
Miami: +10

Defensive Passing Efficiency
VT: 7
Miami: 3rd

Scoring Defense
VT: 11.7 (2nd in country only behind bama
Miami: 18.7 20th in country

left out rushing yards and passing yards statistics on defense because we have played GT which throws it out of wack

Stats prove what we all know.

1)Our defense bends and relies on Negative plays/turnovers. Not an elite defense, not even great *yet*

2)Our offense is miserable on 3rd down.

..more positively

1)with all the knocks on our offense, we are more efficient and less time taken. They also average ten more plays than us. (81 a game for Vt, 71 for us) compared to the near 95 Syracuse, Duke and UNC have put up thats great news for our Defense.

2) their offensive line is not great and they run it a lot more than we do but are less effective when they do it. If we can shut down the run early (stop the long run plays for the love of god D), then we can force jackson into beating us through the air and althoug he has been good this year, he couldn't do it against clemson

3) their field goal kicker is well below average. this could be big for us in this type of game

any stats I left out that tell the story? long day of work, tried to use stats that were non biased and didn't benefit either team. our run defense has been horrible, theirs has been good. thats a fact and doesnt need a stat, but probably not comparable until they play GT

Last edited:
Advertisement
3rd down conversion and TOP are what scare me the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time of possession is a useless statistic, we are not and never have been a slow methodical offense so our TOP numbers will never be “good”.

Passing efficiency defense is the most important defensive stat. Miami is third in the country. Vt is seventh.

Advertisement

Time of possession is a useless statistic, we are not and never have been a slow methodical offense so our TOP numbers will never be “good”.

TOP is the farthest thing from a useless stat.

We were 4/17 on 3rd down, and we only lost TOP by about 5 min.

TOP has very little to do with being “methodical” (and we actually have been methodical forever, so idk what you are taking about). It has to do with 3rd down conversions on both sides of the ball, and we suck on both sides.

Kicking
VT: 13/20 -> 65%
Miami: 12/14 -> 86%

Interdasting...granted most field goal kickers play like vinatieri against us

Forgot one:

Defensive Incentive:
VT: Sh*tty Lunchbox
Miami: The MotherF@cking Cuban Links

TOP is the farthest thing from a useless stat.

We were 4/17 on 3rd down, and we only lost TOP by about 5 min.

TOP has very little to do with being “methodical” (and we actually have been methodical forever, so idk what you are taking about). It has to do with 3rd down conversions on both sides of the ball, and we suck on both sides.

3rd down play on both sides of the ball needs to be retooled period

Advertisement
run game is what should scare all of you
the only front 7 we played all season that is near our own 7 skill wise is FSU and they murdered our "run game"

Yep. We can't have the same offensive performance next Saturday like we did against UNC. Our defense has a number of TOs and 3 & outs. Our offense would just go right around and not do anything with the ball. Hopefully that changes eventually.

Advertisement
The fact our defense gives up 38% on 3rd down blows my mind. That's pretty inexcusable for how good they are.

I also bet we have one of the worst 3rd and 10+ defensive %'s. That ****s gotta stop.

Another big issue - their qb, while he’s excelled this year, he’s only a RSFR. Hopefully we can rattle him and cause him to make mistakes

If I'm not mistaken at one point during the unc game the average distance of our 3rd downs was brought up and it was something shocking like 9.6? The inability to consistently run the ball kills us in that regard.

Advertisement
If I'm not mistaken at one point during the unc game the average distance of our 3rd downs was brought up and it was something shocking like 9.6? The inability to consistently run the ball kills us in that regard.
Yes, the inability to convert third downs is key. But our running game is anemic period. Is there also an anemic play calling problem or is it just me? I believe that the defense can keep us in any game if we just improve in the third down conversion department.

Advertisement
Back